Seek Cimarron DCF Interior Space in Snow

treillw

WKR
My first two major experiences in my DCF Cimarron didn't go quite as I had dreamt about. I got it for my wife and I to use for MT elk hunting. The past two years, we packed back in and camped for the rifle opener. For both of these years, we were blessed with some terrible weather. It was 20 below and snowing both years. The first year we might have had 10" of snow on the tent. Last year, we had three feet of snow on opening morning. Both of these times, I felt that the Cimarron wasn't big enough. I felt claustrophobic inside, shying away from the collapsing, wet with condensation, tent walls, all while worrying about sliding into the glowing stove in my sleep and burning my Western Mountaineering sleeping bag and myself. The tent is a great size with no snow, but once those walls start collapsing it's no bueno. Three feet of snow is a lot, but we also felt the same the first year with the 10". All that being said, I'm sure there are some things I can do to improve the setup in snow, which is why I'm here.

Here are some details on how I have set it up. It's practically impossible to find a nice level spot to setup the tent, but we do our best to get a good pitch and be as level as possible. Staking the tent to the ground. Placing backpack at feet to mitigate downhill sleeping bag sliding and create some space above my feet - this also causes the condensation to drip at the backpack and I ended up with a wet bag for the second night of 20 below (especially fun when we ran out of wood at 2 am). Using trekking poles above head and feet to push the tent wall out and create some more space. Using factory installed guy out points.

I feel like a redcliff would make things a lot better in snow for the two of us, but I hope that I can make something work with the Cimarron. Any tips on what I can do to avoid being crushed, soaked, and going up in flames?

Thank you!

Moserkr

WKR
Sell me your dcf cimarron 😂😂😂😂. Since they are unavailable right now, probably worth more than you paid.

DCF redcliff sounds like the ticket given that its a split weight camp, but also unavailable right now. Soon as you get it, it wont snow on you lol… I want the cimarron for solo expeditions. From my experience tipi camping in snow storms, you have to keep the snow off the sides. It sucks getting up and doing it, but thats what it is. Also having enough firewood is key - we stock up for however many days in that spot plus some more if weathers coming.

3 feet is a lot though. We use the same tactics you stated and thats about all you can do. At 20 below with that much snow, id consider dropping elevation to hunt if possible, thinking the animals may do the same for the storm. Usually catch em dropping right before the storm, and then coming back up after.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Sell me your dcf cimarron 😂😂😂😂. Since they are unavailable right now, probably worth more than you paid.

DCF redcliff sounds like the ticket given that its a split weight camp, but also unavailable right now. Soon as you get it, it wont snow on you lol… I want the cimarron for solo expeditions. From my experience tipi camping in snow storms, you have to keep the snow off the sides. It sucks getting up and doing it, but thats what it is. Also having enough firewood is key - we stock up for however many days in that spot plus some more if weathers coming.

3 feet is a lot though. We use the same tactics you stated and thats about all you can do. At 20 below with that much snow, id consider dropping elevation to hunt if possible, thinking the animals may do the same for the storm. Usually catch em dropping right before the storm, and then coming back up after.
Haha, selling it has crossed my mind. How long are they supposed to be unavailable for?

The DCF Redcliff is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, but should be awesome.

The animals definitely dropped. Fortunately, we could glass all the low country from our peak. We located the herd and shot a bull the next day - at least we didn't freeze for nothing!

Moserkr

WKR
I think they are going to start coming back this fall? Theres a rep on here as they are a sponsor. He would be the one to ask and I forget his username or id tag him for you.

Yes redcliff in dcf is bank, and I would love it AND the cimarron. Figure I could sell both my tipis and get the cimarron as a replacement. But my big one is redcliff sized and fits 2-3 much better with a stove. The walls sink in even further being nylon in snow and rain which is why i want dcf. But its so big at 13’ diameter that we never touch the sides or worry about being too close to the stove. Still, plan on clearing that snow off your tent. Worse case scenario is the snow weight tears the tent apart, onto your stove, and catches fire in the middle of a -20* blizzard dumping 3’ of snow…. Lol thats no bueno.

Thats awesome the spot gave you that opportunity and it was successful!! I figured you were up there for a reason.. lol. Id wait out the redcliff release and upgrade. You cant get away from the walls when its small. Keep or sell the cimarron - it will go in minutes. Id expect SO to raise the price too when they come back online.

sndmn11

WKR
These might help out the guy poits. I have greatly enjoyed the DCF compared to the sil in heavy rains with NOT sagging, and is the main reason why I chose DCF in that size tent. We came from a sil Redcliff, and feel there is more room because of that. I have not yet had my Cimarron in snow though.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
How would a sil Redcliff compare to a dyneema Cimarron?

The sil Redcliff would sag more and may be closer to the size of the cimarron anyway??

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I believe you can add guy out points to the outside of the tent, where ever you want. How do you do this?

sndmn11

WKR
I believe you can add guy out points to the outside of the tent, where ever you want. How do you do this?
You use a stick on loop with DCF

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
How well do those little dudes stick may add a couple to my dcf?🥰👍

Attachments

• 3FE2E940-CE01-407D-BF4F-C40ABD72FAF2.jpeg
    3FE2E940-CE01-407D-BF4F-C40ABD72FAF2.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 70
OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
You use a stick on loop with DCF
Dunno how I feel about the sewing part they mention in the description.

sndmn11

WKR
Dunno how I feel about the sewing part they mention in the description.
I read they are stick on loops for DCF that do not get sewn on. They would not be nearly as strong as the three factory tie outs, but might serve the purpose just fine for getting walls pulled out for space. I have heard they are a lot stonger than one might think. I might have heard that from @Kevin_t or @RockChucker30
1632258238835.png

tdot

WKR
I have made my own DCF tie-in points and they are bomber strong, zero sewing involved, 100% double sided tape. There are a number of tutorials online and the tape used is very specific, but the process is very easy.

Two tips in DCF and snow. I prefer to use dyneema or spectra based cordage. This way you are truly minimizing the amount of stretch in your setup. The other is to simply setup the teepee 6" to 10" off the ground. Snow can be used to block the open bottom.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Two tips in DCF and snow. I prefer to use dyneema or spectra based cordage. This way you are truly minimizing the amount of stretch in your setup. The other is to simply setup the teepee 6" to 10" off the ground. Snow can be used to block the open bottom.

That is a really good idea. I was kind of thinking that as I wrote my post. Staking it to the ground lowers everything, then if there is any snow inside the tent, you're loosing space. Add another ~2" for a sleeping pad and bag, three inches for a pillow, and before you know it, you're kissing the dyneema. My first instinct is its going to be cold, lets seal this sucker to the ground.

Any clue if the cordage SO includes that goes from the stake to the stakepoint line lock is dyneema? Might wanna replace those?

tdot

WKR
That is a really good idea. I was kind of thinking that as I wrote my post. Staking it to the ground lowers everything, then if there is any snow inside the tent, you're loosing space. Add another ~2" for a sleeping pad and bag, three inches for a pillow, and before you know it, you're kissing the dyneema. My first instinct is its going to be cold, lets seal this sucker to the ground.

Any clue if the cordage SO includes that goes from the stake to the stakepoint line lock is dyneema? Might wanna replace those?

Unsure on the cordage that is included with the SO tents. I always replace mine immediately with cord I know. Maybe call them and ask. Next easiest way is to cut off the melted end, hit the exposed filaments with a lighter. The cover will be Polyester and will melt completely into a blob, dyneema will shrink and pull back, but not actually melt. It wont melt into the Polyester cover and if you play with the core, it'll separate from the melted Poly.

A few years ago some friends setup a teepee in a zone that we sled ski. Throughout the winter we kept raising the teepee and digging further down into the snow, we gained an extra 3'-4' by springtime. It was huge inside.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We include 2.75 mm sterling rope .

I’d suggest if using line locs to use at least 2.5 to hold proper tension . 3 mm can be too tight depending .

I pitch a little higher in the snow and if there is snow on the ground I sort of kick a little wall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
We include 2.75 mm sterling rope .

I’d suggest if using line locs to use at least 2.5 to hold proper tension . 3 mm can be too tight depending .

I pitch a little higher in the snow and if there is snow on the ground I sort of kick a little wall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What core is used in your Sterling Rope? From reviewing their website, it appears that the core of the 2.75mm accessory cord is not a high performance core (ie not Dyneema). I'd assume it's polyester, but there are other cores available...

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What core is used in your Sterling Rope? From reviewing their website, it appears that the core of the 2.75mm accessory cord is not a high performance core (ie not Dyneema). I'd assume it's polyester, but there are other cores available...
It is polyester. Dyneema doesn't really do you any benefit there. It is more than strong enough for the purpose. It should take 80 - 90 lbs of tension for the cord to slip in the line loc. The line lock will break at 110 - 120 lbs . Tie outs will fail above that at some point.