Season -2022

gostovp

WKR
My son and I are planning our first archery elk hunt in CO this year. I’m 48 and he’s 24. Now that my last child is graduating high school I’m actually gonna have the time to do this ( all my kids were fall athletes so missing those memories was not something I would do…). I’ve been training, learning, practicing calling, and gathering gear… all have been a lot of fun actually! My wife is struggling with some health issues right now so I’m doing a lot of the work around the house as well as trying to get prepped for this hunt… but my wife is super supportive and is still totally okay with me being gone the first two weeks in Sept. I sold some things from my gun collection to pay for all my gear so that hasn’t been a huge hit for me. My initial plan was to go to MT in 2023 with my son and his buddy … we would have went this year but his friend is finishing up school this fall… so then one day I told my son “heck, let’s me and you go to CO this fall anyway!” It’s getting close!

Agdog

FNG
My dad and I got skunked in unit 52 NM during 2020 muzzleloader. We just scored a couple tags for unit 4 NM rifle and have a great group of buddies joining us. He’ll turn 60 the same week as our hunt so it’s going to be a great trip!

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
My fall is going to be busy. Have the tags, now to schedule the days with the tags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wyoming general Elk.
Wyoming mule deer. 15 points.
Colorado muzzy elk.
Son (19) and dad (79) have 7 point Wyoming antelope tags.
Guide Southern Colorado for mule deer and elk in late October and early November.
Wisconsin archery and rifle deer.
Missouri archery deer.
Kansas late season waterfowl.

It’s going to be busy.

Ltfd210

FNG
Haven’t started applying out west yet. This will be my first year. Got drawn for Week 1 Cow in Kentucky. Now just trying to locate areas and intel. This is my first out of state hunt other than a Hawaiian Goat hunt this year While visiting my brother.

dphifer

FNG
I will turn 48 on my first ever elk hunt during 2nd Rifle OTC in Colorado this year. Jumping in and going solo, DIY with camp on my back. Been preparing for 1 year and still feel like I don't know anything. The experience of diving in to something new has been really fun and I can't wait to be in the mountains.

robescc

FNG
I drew the Sled Springs bull tag in Oregon for modern firearm. I went down scouting last week to learn the unit a little bit. I have hunted the units to the East and West so I know the country and challenges. I can't wait till October!

BFR

WKR
2022 will be my 62nd year of hunting, taught my daughters and grandkids along the way. Going to Utah for cow elk and of course my MT deer and elk. May be the first year in the last 22 that none of the grands will be able to make it, we’ll see.
Unfortunately I’m limited to roads and ATV trails, yes, an often cursed and demeaned “road hunter” but, I WILL be successful, even if it’s a forky unless I decide on tag soup. So climb those mountains while you can, and curse road hunters, just remember, you don’t know what the future has in store for you.

Whatever is in store, GOOD LUCK !

IchBin57

FNG
7th year elk hunting Colorado. Didn’t draw the flattops tag like I expected so I’m going Otc solo. Son was going to come with on his first hunt but now that it won’t likely be good I’m going alone for two weeks just to get out and try some new areas. Plan to carry camp on back and just keep trying areas for fresh sign. Past years I’d go in 6-8 miles. Setup base camp and hunt from there for a week. This year going to stay more mobile and may even move to several trail heads.

E from Wisconsin

I just got back from the Flat Tops for muzzle and didn't see any elk or sign ~ 10K. There were about 15 guys archery hunting since the opener and they didn't see a thing. I did have an interesting encounter with a mtn. lion before dark. It was 65-70 degrees during the day and low 30s at night and very dry.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
7th year elk hunting Colorado. Didn’t draw the flattops tag like I expected so I’m going Otc solo. Son was going to come with on his first hunt but now that it won’t likely be good I’m going alone for two weeks just to get out and try some new areas. Plan to carry camp on back and just keep trying areas for fresh sign. Past years I’d go in 6-8 miles. Setup base camp and hunt from there for a week. This year going to stay more mobile and may even move to several trail heads.

E from Wisconsin

Lots of thoughts about this. Let’s chat after we get back. I’m solo, 6 miles deep in CO right now!

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lots of thoughts about this. Let’s chat after we get back. I’m solo, 6 miles deep in CO right now!

Buddies shot two elk up there last week. We’re in them all but one day. Now they are farther north chasing moose.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m on day 3 of ML elk in CO. Only have 5 days. Passed up a small 4x on Saturday night. Had 7-8 bulls bugling early yesterday until about 7 am. They were bedded just after 7 and never heard another bugle all day. Bugling all night. This morning I left camp and walked about half mile by moonlight. Was able to get a couple fired up right as it got light. Couldn’t keep up with them and they got silent before 7:30. Just working some dark timber up high now.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
This moon needs to get down. When that happens they are going to go off. It’s close. Lots of aggressive sign. Just need one to flip.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
9a9d8e8dfa688bf67c3d1c44dd126f14.jpg

Was chasing a big bull right at daylight yesterday. He went into a little chute, so I flanked around the other side running. Came running up through the pines and stepped into the open to this guy staring at me at 7 yards. Oh moment.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have until Wednesday. Then I need to pack out and head to Denver and pick Hunter up. We’ll drive to Wyoming and start his antelope hunt. I’ll fly him out of Casper and then it’ll be a toss if I should start chasing elk or mule deer. What ya think @robbydenning?

Read1t48

WKR
That’s a loaded question asking Robby. You already know his answer! 🤣

But I think you should go chase elk!
Either way, good luck!

This moon needs to get down. When that happens they are going to go off. It’s close. Lots of aggressive sign. Just need one to flip.

I just got back from hunting southern Colorado OTC elk and they were dead quiet the entire time. We saw a lot of sign way up high though.