Search and Rescue: Why don't you step up?

I offered a few years ago when a coworker asked me about helping with searches that needed horses, but lost interest when I was told that I couldn't carry a firearm. When I'm in the hills I always carry a handgun, and a rifle if I'm horseback.

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
I offered a few years ago when a coworker asked me about helping with searches that needed horses, but lost interest when I was told that I couldn't carry a firearm. When I'm in the hills I always carry a handgun, and a rifle if I'm horseback.

luckily the head honcho out here also is a moderator on open carry FB groups lol. his policy is simple, we go into the desert. we go into homeless areas, we go into the hood. you are also an adult.

Good topic. I agree that backcountry hunters have ( or should have ) a skill set that would benefit their local SAR organization. I worked professionally in SAR while in the military and have stayed professionally in Emergency Medicine for over 20 years. I checked out and signed up to be a member of our local SAR organization many years ago and quite frankly found the core members to be Dicks and Nerds. Real "think their cool " Ricky Rescue" types that could have cared less about what others brought to the table. Time is another issue of course but If the group was more appealing I would be more involved.

Isn't it entirely possible to join a search effort on your own while SAR teams are out there? Is there a way to get clued in on these distress calls immediately as a private citizen?

Good topic. I agree that backcountry hunters have ( or should have ) a skill set that would benefit their local SAR organization. I worked professionally in SAR while in the military and have stayed professionally in Emergency Medicine for over 20 years. I checked out and signed up to be a member of our local SAR organization many years ago and quite frankly found the core members to be Dicks and Nerds. Real "think their cool " Ricky Rescue" types that could have cared less about what others brought to the table. Time is another issue of course but If the group was more appealing I would be more involved.

Not sure why, but after reading that experience I keep picturing the group of deputys that went after Rambo in First Blood.

OP
Gunnersdad49
Isn't it entirely possible to join a search effort on your own while SAR teams are out there? Is there a way to get clued in on these distress calls immediately as a private citizen?
Self-dispatching while listening to a scanner or other radio can be pretty problematic for organized SAR teams. Each case and jurisdiction will be different, so I'll only speak to the area I have worked in.

If a private citizen such as yourself hears on the radio that an alzheimer's patient has walked away from a cabin at 123 Woods Road, and you hop into your truck and head to that address, a few things will probably happen.
First, the reporting party will likely question your credentials and motivation, and may not be willing to give you information.
Second, the search team may ask you to avoid the area to allow the dogs and trackers and UAV teams to work unimpeded.
Third, you won't have the information of what team has what assignment where, and you may be searching an area that has already been ruled out, thereby wasting your time.

The other option would be walking into the search incident command and saying "Hi, I'm Dustin. How can I help?" Many times the search leader may dismiss you, and just ask you to stay away, because they don't know you, your motives, your background, your skill or equipment level, and you aren't covered on their insurance policy.
There are some cases where communities come to help search, and the help is wanted. The best bet for getting in on something like that would be to develop a face to face relationship with either a Sheriff's deputy or member of the local fire department, and mention that you are willing and able to help.

jspradley

WKR
Self-dispatching while listening to a scanner or other radio can be pretty problematic for organized SAR teams. Each case and jurisdiction will be different, so I'll only speak to the area I have worked in.

If a private citizen such as yourself hears on the radio that an alzheimer's patient has walked away from a cabin at 123 Woods Road, and you hop into your truck and head to that address, a few things will probably happen.
First, the reporting party will likely question your credentials and motivation, and may not be willing to give you information.
Second, the search team may ask you to avoid the area to allow the dogs and trackers and UAV teams to work unimpeded.
Third, you won't have the information of what team has what assignment where, and you may be searching an area that has already been ruled out, thereby wasting your time.

The other option would be walking into the search incident command and saying "Hi, I'm Dustin. How can I help?" Many times the search leader may dismiss you, and just ask you to stay away, because they don't know you, your motives, your background, your skill or equipment level, and you aren't covered on their insurance policy.
There are some cases where communities come to help search, and the help is wanted. The best bet for getting in on something like that would be to develop a face to face relationship with either a Sheriff's deputy or member of the local fire department, and mention that you are willing and able to help.

Makes sense when you think about how many folks showing up to "help" would just get in the way or end up needing help themselves.

Makes sense, I'm sure local departments have a few locals on speed dial

Nate_Beres

Lil-Rokslider
Not calling out, Those things are plenty to keep a fella busy. I'm just prodding the membership here to consider it. It can be a lot of fun. If you can't volunteer, you can support the team in other ways. Help them put together a fundraiser or grant. Buy a "I support (insert your local team)" T-shirt, etc.

My intent here was to bring a bit of awareness I guess. We, collectively, talk a lot on here about hitting the SOS button and the SAR team coming to help. So I thought I'd see if we can help them any.
And bring attention you did. I've got experience in almost all the areas my local website refers to for training. Former college athlete that has filled that gap with some hunting but still feel like something is missing.
Having a 1 year old though this all sounds great but I don't want to miss a minute with her I can.
I'm looking into this though, thank you. I've got 95% of the gear

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
Gunnersdad49
If you need a hand with the other 5%, let me know. If I’ve got something laying around that will work, I’ll send it your way

gibbons025

Lil-Rokslider
I was in Law Enforcement for 15 years and was a K9 Officer for 8 years. We trained hardcore on search and rescue for any type of environments. Now a lot of my use around the area I worked on was after large tornados blew the entire town down. ( Greenburg KS , Moore OK ,. But I use what I’ve learned up in the mountains and led my buddies and have a game plan in case things so south. It’s helped us out greatly having my training to fall back on when it’s needed. I’ve helped out locally when I am able to in some times lately because the training I had back in the day is offered as much as budgets seem to get smaller for smaller departments.

Sniff

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking into Alpine Search and Rescue. I decided to join the local fire department. I felt like it was better service to the community I live in. Much respect to those that do SAR. They are pulling people off of 14ers and climbers that turn into fallers in the canyon. We coordinate training with them for swift water rescue and over the edge calls when stuff gets really steep. They are a great bunch with a grip of knowledge. I would encourage everybody to at least donate to COSAR or whoever their state has for these programs.

I did Volunteer Search and Rescue for many years on the Colorado Front Range. Very great experiences and actually led to me getting paid to do it full time for many years after volunteering. I also highly recommend to anybody who loves the outdoors and wants to give back and meet some great people. You don't have to be a super athlete or pro rock climber to join most county SAR teams.