Scouting in the spring

When do you guys usually start scouting for archery mule deer and elk? I am planning on hunting the colorado high country this September and I may be able to sneak in a few days of scouting in early April. Is this too early? I am sure how much snow we get this winter will play a big factor.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Too early for CA and NV where I hunt....most roads going into the wilderness are still closed and generally to much snow. NV still had snow in late June.

Craig4791

WKR
April is too early for the high country. I don't start going scouting for deer in the high country here in California until early July.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
April is too early for CO elk also. I was there last year on a dry year, in Mid-may, and we still got a foot of fresh snow the week-end I was there.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here in the Cascades in WA usually late June/July before the snow melts enough to get in there.

KMT

WKR
April is too early for Colorado. Deer and elk are in their winter range and for the most part won't be in the same place in april as they are in September.

2rocky

WKR
In Wyoming, we were jumping through snowbanks over the 4th of July weekend on the North Facing slopes.

My Summer scouting is usually getting more familiar with where roads and trails will take me. If I see animals it is a bonus. Knowing how to get where you want to be gives you more confidence when your GO-To spot doesn't pan out and you have to look at secondary and tertiary plans...