Score estimate my first elk

Congrats on your first bull. I’d guess 285. You mentioned he only had 3 teeth left in the front? As in, all of his upper and lower molars and pre molars were gone, with only a few lower incisors remaining? Very interesting. You have photos of his teeth and ivories?

OP
HoytHunter14
Congrats on your first bull. I’d guess 285. You mentioned he only had 3 teeth left in the front? As in, all of his upper and lower molars and pre molars were gone, with only a few lower incisors remaining? Very interesting. You have photos of his teeth and ivories?
Uh let me check and see if I have pictures even the guy that helped pack it out with me said he's never seen antler bases this far off the skull when we caped it out. I hope I have pictures or he does. Will update if I do!

OP
HoytHunter14
Uh let me check and see if I have pictures even the guy that helped pack it out with me said he's never seen antler bases this far off the skull when we caped it out. I hope I have pictures or he does. Will update if I do!
Hopefully he's got a few pictures of his teeth, they seemed amazed by it, I was just lost in the moment to be honest

Attachments

• 20220926_114743.jpg
    20220926_114743.jpg
    849.2 KB · Views: 306

crich

WKR
Nice bull. First day of your first hunt huh!? I Imagine youll be back out next year... 😄 my guess is around the 290" range.

elkguide

WKR
Great bull. I'm with the crowd in guessing from the pictures that he will score in the 280 - 300 range.

OP
HoytHunter14
Great bull. I'm with the crowd in guessing from the pictures that he will score in the 280 - 300 range.
That's great that everyone's all within the same range, when I find out I will be sure to update. Any elk for me would have been a trophy, but he decided to walk by first...at 37 yards. What's crazy is this is the first elk I seen ever in my life (in person) while hunting 🤣 only seen 1 other when I was visiting Arizona driving by lol
I'm seeing around 280, knowing a few measurements would go a long ways.

Great bull either way, I wouldn't get wrapped up in the numbers.
Nope I would have been happy with just the experience. I have more pictures of the mountains and views then I do of the elk. I learned alot that week and grateful for every bit of it, trophy or not.