Scope vs rifle issue

Bobcat

Lil-Rokslider
300 WM; 200 gr eldx. I haven’t shot the rifle in two years. Historically I struggled to find ammo that would group with this rifle setup, but the 200 eldx did well.
Poor groupings the other day, so I clean the rifle; removed the scope, bases, and rings and torqued to specs. Today shot with sled to remove as much shooter error as possible.

Any ideas if this is a rifle issue or a scope issue?
I’m hesitant to mention brands at this point😉

For a reference, my 375 HH shot MOA at same distances today.

Attachments

• 1AD1668F-CA4C-461A-B07C-48544633F071.jpeg
    1AD1668F-CA4C-461A-B07C-48544633F071.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 230B1EC1-E983-48E8-94BA-212D731BB91C.jpeg
    230B1EC1-E983-48E8-94BA-212D731BB91C.jpeg
    247.7 KB · Views: 29

nobody

WKR
Rifle type?
Scope Type?
Ring Type?
Rest Type? Just saw you say it's a sled, my advice is to throw that in the garbage and get a good bipod and a rear bag. Or a sandbag front and rear. Sleds suck for good fundamentals and repeatable shooting mechanics.

Knowing these things will help us help you narrow it down.

OP
Bobcat

Bobcat

Lil-Rokslider
Christensen Mesa, Leopold 3xi 4.5-14, Tally rings.

Rifle shot similar groups of its bipod with sandbags, hence why I brought the lead sled out today. I shot my 375 off of it as well. My 375 H&H shot 1 MOA

Has the scope shot well on other platforms? Maybe swap in a scope that is known to group well so you can get an idea which might be the issue.

Could be any and every part of that set up.

Can you mount the scope from your 375 on the 300? Ideally without the Talleys? That will at least tell you if the gun is the problem, and could help you figure out that the scope/ mounts are the issue.

Reactions: XLR

nobody

WKR
Christensen Mesa, Leopold 3xi 4.5-14, Tally rings.

Rifle shot similar groups of its bipod with sandbags, hence why I brought the lead sled out today. I shot my 375 off of it as well. My 375 H&H shot 1 MOA
All of these are known to be suspect products with so-so reputations for reliability and performance. Here's what I would do:

#1 - Swap out the scope for one known for reliability and functionality. Pick up a Nightforce SHV of some flavor. Whether you keep the rifle or not, the Nighforce will be a better long term solution anyway.
#2 - Mount it in some quality rings (Seekins or Nightforce) on a picatinny rail. Junk those talleys.
#3 - Double check torque values on all screws. Action screws should be 55-65 inch lbs, scope base screws should be +/- 25-30 WITH loctite, ring to base screws will be in the 50-ish range (if using Nightforce or Seekins) WITH loctite, and ring tops at 20-25 inch lbs WITH loctite.
#4 - Buy some Hornady factory Match Ammo. This is what Christensen will do all their accuracy testing with, and in my experience, if a rifle won't shoot it at least somewhat decent, it won't shoot anything well.
#5 - Go re-test using sandbags.

If the rifle still won't shoot, call Christensen and have them warranty it. When you get it back, trade it in on a Tikka and wash your hands of it.

OP
Bobcat

Bobcat

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the responses! I don’t wanna tinker too much with my 375 since it’s shooting, so well And Spring Bear starts in a couple weeks so I’ll just use my 375 for now and swap scopes after bear season.

Fetty Wapiti

Lil-Rokslider
300 WM; 200 gr eldx. I haven’t shot the rifle in two years. Historically I struggled to find ammo that would group with this rifle setup, but the 200 eldx did well.
Poor groupings the other day, so I clean the rifle; removed the scope, bases, and rings and torqued to specs. Today shot with sled to remove as much shooter error as possible.

Any ideas if this is a rifle issue or a scope issue?
I’m hesitant to mention brands at this point😉

For a reference, my 375 HH shot MOA at same distances today.
How many rounds thru the Mesa? They have a definite break in period. Check the stock ain't touching the barrel. Check the torque on the receiver. Minimum 35 pounds.

OP
Bobcat

Bobcat

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had this rifle and set up for 5-6 years and I put approximately 500 rounds through it. I don’t reload and struggled to find factory ammo that would group reasonably. I finally settled on the EDLX 200s. They seem to shoot well out to about 350 yards. Not shooting well past that I assumed was the shooter.

I always assumed it was the shooter and then a year and a half ago got a 375 that consistently grouped better.