Scope upgrade advice.

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased a savage 110 in 30-06 a few years back for my WY elk hunt. It came mounted with a vortex crossfire 3-9 40. I have a few successful hunts under my belt and am ready to upgrade the scope. (Seems like this thing is always needing to be sighted in).

I want something that can stand up to mountain hunting and also have good low light performance. This last UT mule deer hunt really showed me how important low light performance is… I spent a lot of time looking at deer through the scope close to dark and couldn’t see much.

I currently don’t have the practice to take anything beyond 300 yards, and really 300 isn’t with my comfort zone. I do hope to spend more time shooting longer ranges and getting comfortable out to 400 max, I’m just not there yet. Not interested in dialing in shots.

No fixed budget per se, but I am a price point shopper. Willing to spend how much it takes to get a quality scope but don’t want to throw large amounts of money for the top of the line… not a high end rifle build, a dependable mountain hunting tool.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I’ve got my eye on the classifieds here as well. Thank you in advance.

Macintosh

WKR
You dont have to overspend to significantly improve on low light performance compared to a crossfireII scope. A 3-10 SHV would be a huge step up in both reliability and low light performance.

ToolMann

WKR
You dont have to overspend to significantly improve on low light performance compared to a crossfireII scope. A 3-10 SHV would be a huge step up in both reliability
There isn't much that isn't an upgrade over the Crossfire. The SHV is definitely a huge step up and can be had new for less than a grand.

So many options but few perfect ones make it a difficult choice. The more you read, the harder it will get. Seems backwards, huh?

Looking to replace a Meopro 3.5-10x44 at the moment myself and looking for something similar to you:
  1. Reliability (Needs to hold 0 but won't be dialing)
  2. Upgrade low light performance above current scope
  3. Better resolution than current scope
  4. All shots under 400 yards
  5. Simple duplex or #4 reticle that's easy to see against dark backgrounds

Desires:
  1. good illumination
  2. low end, 4x or less
  3. top end 12x - 15x (strictly for range work, to aid in better groups), not needed for shots on game

Most of what I read suggests the Z3 line is hard to beat glass wise, even if you spend big 3 or 4 times more, but has reliability issues. The VX5-HD and V4 scopes also check a lot of the boxes but you don't have to look hard to find bad reviews of them here either. Seems there are compromises with every choice.

Don't mean to be hijacking your thread.

Wow, that is a good price. Is the illuminaton suitable for low light situations, meaning can it be dimmed to where you can hardly see it? Looks like the entire reticle illuminates.
I have that scope in 3-9, and the illumination in the lower setting is ideal.

OP
Neckbone

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
So many options but few perfect ones make it a difficult choice. The more you read, the harder it will get. Seems backwards, huh?

Looking to replace a Meopro 3.5-10x44 at the moment myself and looking for something similar to you:
  1. Reliability (Needs to hold 0 but won't be dialing)
  2. Upgrade low light performance above current scope
  3. Better resolution than current scope
  4. All shots under 400 yards
  5. Simple duplex or #4 reticle that's easy to see against dark backgrounds

Desires:
  1. good illumination
  2. low end, 4x or less
  3. top end 12x - 15x (strictly for range work, to aid in better groups), not needed for shots on game

Most of what I read suggests the Z3 line is hard to beat glass wise, even if you spend big 3 or 4 times more, but has reliability issues. The VX5-HD and V4 scopes also check a lot of the boxes but you don't have to look hard to find bad reviews of them here either. Seems there are compromises with every choice.

Don't mean to be hijacking your thread.
No hijacking, seems like we are in the same boat. From what ive read, pretty much anything will be an upgrade from a crossfire 2... but how much am i gonna spend before i see a noticeable change in performance, and at what point is the return on more money falling off?

I have had great luck with Leupold scopes. They seem to stay put very well once sighted in. I am not easy on equipment in the woods and brush either. Another nice thing I like is the eye relief and FOV seems to be more to my liking than most scopes.

OP
Neckbone

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
You dont have to overspend to significantly improve on low light performance compared to a crossfireII scope. A 3-10 SHV would be a huge step up in both reliability and low light performance.
This is kinda what I was thinking... that it wouldn't take much to step up from the crossfire 2

OP
Neckbone

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
There's multiple scopes in the classifieds that would be good choices for less. You could also do it for under $300 new.
There’s a swaro z3 I think 3x10x42’oj the classifieds I’m considering making an offer on