Scope to Rifle Weight Ratio and Bulk

talllogic

FNG
I am interested in a Zeiss V8 1.8-14x50 rifle scope. The outgoing model with the 36mm tube is on sale. Does anyone own this model? Do you find it too top heavy or bulky? Ever have it snag being put in or pulled out of a scabbard?

I own a Sako 85 Finnlight II 30-06. It weighs about about 6.6lbs bare. I’m not worried about the overall weight, but I am concerned about it becoming awkward to handle.

Thanks in advance!
-Matt

madcalfe

WKR
I cant find the weight on the 36mm model
but I was running a kahles k318i (34oz) on my 5.2oz 300wsm
it was a little top heavy but didn't hinder anything.
cant comment on scabbard.

I run heavy’s on all my carbon builds.
Kahles 5-25’s. ATACR, S&B PM2. No issues.
The one thing I have noticed is you must have the best rings you can. A suppressed or muzzle break light weight rig can cause havoc with a heavy optic. The sudden rear then forward momentum of the carbon rifle puts a ton of strain on rings trying to keep the extra heavy scope in place. Light weight scopes don’t usually have this issue. (29 oz and under).

I have one of these scopes . At 720 grams I find it okay regarding balance and weight. Overall I am fairly unimpressed by it. Eyebox is fairly tight, its optically unremarkable, lowlight performance is a little disappointing and the illumination knob on the eyepiece has come unglued and fallen off. Depth of focus is very good and it has so far proven consistent and reliable. Maximum magnification is 13.5x not 14x . High erector ratios require compromises that I am no longer willing to make. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
I want to put my LRP S3 on Ozempic. 38oz. I Ike the scope a lot but the weight. It took me over 10lbs. Considering trying a Leupold Mark5 hd 3-18 to shave almost a lb - or the Tenmile (but it’s so long). It does feel a little top heavy. Or may buy a lighter weight sfp and lower mag and just swap out depending on the hunt

I have one of these scopes . At 720 grams I find it okay regarding balance and weight. Overall I am fairly unimpressed by it. Eyebox is fairly tight, its optically unremarkable, lowlight performance is a little disappointing and the illumination knob on the eyepiece has come unglued and fallen off. Depth of focus is very good and it has so far proven consistent and reliable. Maximum magnification is 13.5x not 14x . High erector ratios require compromises that I am no longer willing to make. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions

And this is on a Zeiss V8?? If so, that’s very disappointing.

jimh406

WKR
I don’t have that scope or rifle, but I do have a 19 oz scope, picatinny, and steel rings, on a 6 lb rifle. I find the balance fine.

Macintosh

WKR
Its 25 oz, its not even that heavy. Id venture to guess that most 20-25oz scopes are on rifles that weigh 6.5-7.5lb bare, at least thats what I see. You’re only talking about a 4 or 5 ounce difference between similar scopes that are “light”, and with that weight very close to the center of gravity of the gun in both the vertical and horizontal plane, you’re putting the weight where it is least likely to affect handling. I wouldn’t even give it a moments consideration.
And yes, I have similar weight scopes on similar weight rifles, it is 100% a non-issue for me.
Don’t know that scope, so can’t comment on bulk.