Scope mounting to maintain zero

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
That's interesting. I had no idea about nail polish! Sure enough a quick Google search indicates that both "solvent" based and water based nail polishes exist. Not sure which one I reclaimed* from my daughter but I'll have to check. I could have used my wife's oil based paint pens, but I felt that the nail polish brush gave me more control. I guess we'll see if the screws back out based on the bright red nail polish witness marks.

@Formidilosus maybe you can chime in on whether the type of nail polish (solvent vs water based) matters? I'm really hoping you say it doesn't, because I don't feel like stripping down my scope and degreasing it again.

*she said she didn't want that color anymore, FWIW, I say reclaimed simply because she's a tween, meaning I technically paid for it :p

I haven’t seen it matter.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
Form I’ve got a dumb question. I tore my rifle down to get the barrel threaded and I’m going to put everything back together with degrease/paint pen now that everything is finally going to stay. My scope is a tenmile in um tikka rings and assuming that I can remount it without having to relevel the scope. Can I take out the ring cap screws one at a time to degrease and thread lock then retorque so I don’t need to re level and set eye relief. Or will this cause weird toque points and cause problems?
FWIW I did something similar this week - needed to move a scope ring, so the front got completely undone, everything got pulled off the rail, front ring got moved, everything got remounted with the rear ring as the datum. No issues at all. This was using a set of ARC rings that, thankfully, didn't need to scope squished into them.

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
First time using nail polish/paint pen. How hard is it to get them loose after everything has cured. Do you need to use something to help, or is brute force all it takes?