Scope mounting: Please pardon my ignorance...

OP
P
Unknown will be Tikka only. Just go two piece DNZ. They are great rings IMHO.
K. Got these on order. Was really torn between these and the one piece base. Hope it works out. Didn’t get one piece base, and did buy a Leupold. Hope my rifle doesn’t shoot at 45 degrees or explode.

IMG_9714.png

OP
P
Exactly. Zero reason to take the risk with the Hawkins available.

Those or the DNZ Game Reaper 2 rings are the best lightweight two-piece I think. I used DNZ rings on my Howa Mini and they are pretty nice also. Both of those are machined as opposed to the forged Talleys.
Just dry fit with the DNZ two piece rings. Nothing leveled or torqued to spec. Hopefully eye relief is good, because in only have about. 1/8 inch of travel with rings spread as far apart as possible. I like it. Went with mediums and 44mm glass. A bit higher than necessary, but nothing obscene.

IMG_9877.jpeg

Just dry fit with the DNZ two piece rings. Nothing leveled or torqued to spec. Hopefully eye relief is good, because in only have about. 1/8 inch of travel with rings spread as far apart as possible. I like it. Went with mediums and 44mm glass. A bit higher than necessary, but nothing obscene.

View attachment 740323
Usually you can flip that rear base around if you need to scoot more forward.

As for the rail and rings, I'm in the process of converting all my rifles over to rail and ring combos. What I like about it is that I can very easily swap scopes between rifles without having to level them in the rings or torque the rings, don't like backing out screws and such. So if I want to switch scopes I can just unscrew the ring base and move it over to another rail quickly. What I don't like, however, is that all my scopes sit way higher with the rail even with low rings than they do with something like a Talley or DNZ one piece system or the various old Leupold mounts.

OP
P
Usually you can flip that rear base around if you need to scoot more forward.
yep. Can flip one or both if I need more flexibility. Would rather keep as spaced as possible (current set up) if relief is right. On daddy duty right now. Will play around with it later.

I have tally lightweights on 10 of my guns and I’ve never cracked a ring…… But I actually use a torque wrench….

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have tally lightweights on 10 of my guns and I’ve never cracked a ring…… But I actually use a torque wrench….
Mine cracked where the base started to flare out and form the ring shape. Not sure when it happened. Assuming bumping around in the backseat of the jeep.

What torque wrench do you use? If it’s yellow, throw it in the garbage.

OP
P
Mine cracked where the base started to flare out and form the ring shape. Not sure when it happened. Assuming bumping around in the backseat of the jeep.

What torque wrench do you use? If it’s yellow, throw it in the garbage.
Interesting. I’ve got a Wheeler Fat wrench and always figured it was good.

OP
P
That model when measured against calibrated units is normally around 5ish inch lbs off.
One way, or both?

I did find the magnetic levels in kit to be extremely cheap. Did have me head scratching a bit. “Scimp here, scrimp where else?”

5 in pounds off still better than winging it, I guess. Certainly not ideal though.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
One way, or both?

I did find the magnetic levels in kit to be extremely cheap. Did have me head scratching a bit. “Scimp here, scrimp where else?”

5 in pounds off still better than winging it, I guess. Certainly not ideal though.
It will be, on average, 3-7 off target in either direction.