Scope mounting: Please pardon my ignorance...

Please tell me you're not talking about using your scope like a carry handle...even if not, seems like a weird way to carry a rifle and I definitely wouldn't prioritize that when choosing a mount setup.

Hilarious. That's a good post /\/\/\

OP
P
Please tell me you're not talking about using your scope like a carry handle...even if not, seems like a weird way to carry a rifle and I definitely wouldn't prioritize that when choosing a mount setup.

Hahaha. No. Hand around athe action. Scope parallel to ground and down. On that gun, I've got a good firm grip, and it's perfectly blanced.

Marshfly

WKR
Hahaha. No. Hand around athe action. Scope parallel to ground and down. On that gun, I've got a good firm grip, and it's perfectly blanced.
My rifles balance perfectly like that also. Don't let him make you feel weird. Fingers go in the ejection port. With a light rifle with a short barrel and a DBM bottom plate it works great.

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I prefer pic rail for the flexibility of ring placement on the scope body. I try to center the rings on the tube as best as possible, then use the pic rail slots to adjust for eye relief.

OP
P
I prefer pic rail for the flexibility of ring placement on the scope body. I try to center the rings on the tube as best as possible, then use the pic rail slots to adjust for eye relief.
Everytyhing I've read said the farther apart the rings are (without touching either bell of course) the better. I'll probably go with the one piece base, if for no other reason, than the flexiblity to have more position options. I do know to put the screws of the ring clamps as far forward in any given rail "groove" as possible.

TaperPin

WKR
For a decade the Leupold dual dovetail with two piece bases was my go to - never failed - my 1/2 moa gun always stayed on track. I switched to Talley detachable rings, because it was impossible to check the base screw torque on that Leupold setup without removing the scope from the rings - Talley steel rings never caused a problem. I switched to a one piece pic rail primarily for the 20 moa angle for shooting past 500 yards, but also because many big variable scopes today weigh twice what a small 1” tube scope does, and the little recoil shoulder on the Nightforce base makes sense.

There was a time when an ugly one piece weaver base looked like an abortion, now rifles look more like poorly thought out kids’ toys, so pic rails are right at home. Out to 500 yards, with a fairly light scope there’s no advantage to one of the modern mounts.

My go to rings are Leupold Mark 4 paired to the Nightforce base, not too different from that BO setup. They are solid, but wow are they heavy. I find it funny the Mark 4 ring design is older than many of the guys in here and has held up so well it’s been copied, a little lipstick applied, made out of aluminum and titanium, and now others claim their version is the ultimate. Stand them on their heads and they all look like sisters.

Last edited:

Marshfly

WKR
I really like the Hawkins Ultralight rings on my Rem 700. Perfect for a lightweight rifle. I see zero reason for a pic rail unless you are moving scopes around.

OP
P

Seems like something as simple as this would be adequate. .270 WSM, A-bolt II. Putting a 19 oz scope on it. Only four mated surfaces... two forward, and two back... the base to receiver, and then top half of ring to the bottom half. As opposed to a full rail which is three. Rail to receiver, bottom ring to rail, top half to bottom half.

I guess the rail route has more surface area on the receiver, so there's less riding on the screws themselves. I don't know. I guess the next step is to get my hands on the scope and see about where it needs to be mounted.

Marshfly

WKR

Seems like something as simple as this would be adequate. .270 WSM, A-bolt II. Putting a 19 oz scope on it. Only four mated surfaces... two forward, and two back... the base to receiver, and then top half of ring to the bottom half. As opposed to a full rail which is three. Rail to receiver, bottom ring to rail, top half to bottom half.

I guess the rail route has more surface area on the receiver, so there's less riding on the screws themselves. I don't know. I guess the next step is to get my hands on the scope and see about where it needs to be mounted.
If you are considering Talleys, don’t. Hawkins Ultralights are exactly what you want but they don’t crack.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
If you are considering Talleys, don’t. Hawkins Ultralights are exactly what you want but they don’t crack.
I didn’t want to believe the Talley rumors as I had used them with success for years. Not sure if it’s a newer manufacturing issue but I had two sets of rings crack at the bases.

Marshfly

WKR
I didn’t want to believe the Talley rumors as I had used them with success for years. Not sure if it’s a newer manufacturing issue but I had two sets of rings crack at the bases.
Exactly. Zero reason to take the risk with the Hawkins available.

Those or the DNZ Game Reaper 2 rings are the best lightweight two-piece I think. I used DNZ rings on my Howa Mini and they are pretty nice also. Both of those are machined as opposed to the forged Talleys.

SloppyJ

WKR
Some of this depends on you and what you prioritize. If you don't swap gear a lot and want the lightest setup, go with the Hawkins system with the integrated bases over the Talleys IMO.

I've been running a lot of NX8s and they are really picky on mounting due to their short length. On top of that, I've been playing "musical scopes" and swapping things around a bit. Right now I prefer a one piece pic rail style base with pic style rings. If I want to swap a scope, I just loosen the ring from the rail and move it. I don't have to setup my eye relief or center the reticle again. Makes that much easier.

Marshfly

WKR
Swapping gear out will never happen.

I don't see any Hawkins option for Browning. Maybe I'm missing it.
Go DNZ then. You mentioned 700 in the original post and my mind went there.

OP
P

Likely in reference to the rifle on the right. I'll check that link out. Thanks.

OP
P

The two piece would be pictured in the bottom, and for a 44mm objective, the part number is BA3TM2. The bottom piece is part number 34500.

What about the one piece base as pictured up top on the attached picture? Either way, I'm only getting four screws into the action. Seems like the one piece bottome might provide a little more rigidity and stability... almost no different than a bolted on rail as a base. However, the true "one piece" bottom, only has two screws per ring up top. I found that a bit suprising.

a_bolt.jpg

Marshfly

WKR
The two piece would be pictured in the bottom, and for a 44mm objective, the part number is BA3TM2. The bottom piece is part number 34500.

What about the one piece base as pictured up top on the attached picture? Either way, I'm only getting four screws into the action. Seems like the one piece bottome might provide a little more rigidity and stability... almost no different than a bolted on rail as a base. However, the true "one piece" bottom, only has two screws per ring up top. I found that a bit suprising.

View attachment 738093
I'm pretty sure they are the exact same base machine file just the two piece omits the center rail. I would make sure to find the 4 bolt cap model personally. You can easily lapp any small bit of misalignment away if you must do the 2 piece. I have 2 piece mounts on all my hunting rifles BTW. Zero issues. DNZ, Hawkins ultralight, and Unknown Munitions...all 2 piece.

OP
P
I'm pretty sure they are the exact same base machine file just the two piece omits the center rail. I would make sure to find the 4 bolt cap model personally. You can easily lapp any small bit of misalignment away if you must do the 2 piece. I have 2 piece mounts on all my hunting rifles BTW. Zero issues. DNZ, Hawkins ultralight, and Unknown Munitions...all 2 piece.
The center rail only comes with one screw per side up top (two per ring). Called them to confirm. Not wild about that.

Can’t find browning option for Hawkins. Have not looked Unknoen Mun.