Scope mounting loctite or not?

CampSmith

FNG
So that scope has been on and mounted like that for 10 years?
Why is it so hard for some of you to believe scopes rings can be mounted reliably without loctite. You do realize guys were taking big game and shooting targets before loctite was invented right. Here's a teeth rattler that's been set up the same way without loctite on the rings just the base for over 10 years. Guess what still shoots great. A 12 gauge rifled slug gun shooting 400 grain slugs at 1900 ft per second. Ridiculous amount of recoil. Never came loose. Notice the Nikon scope that hasn't been in production for years now. Still doubting me. Notice the magnaporting near the muzzle. Done many years ago.1000006931.jpg1000006932.jpg

CampSmith

FNG
Out of curiosity what’s the furthest shot you have ever taken hunting and have ever taken at the range? How many rounds a year are you shooting through a rifle annually?

The ability to shoot eastern deer at short ranges does not require a great level of mechanical accuracy or shooting skill to be a successful hunter. A zero shift of 3 MOA would have zero practical impact under those circumstances. I am not trying to degrade your hunting success but rifle skill and mechanical accuracy is virtually a non factor in the type of hunting you are posting about.

If you go over to the scope evaluation threads you will see a quantitative methodology repeated with dozens of optics. If you read them all you can make your own conclusions but scopes moving in rings is a very common issue as is overall zero loss. Loctite helpsThe number of optic trials is significant and many take place over thousands of rounds, very likely more than 10 years, or quite frankly a lifetime of ammo for many hunting setups.

You may well come to the conclusion that attention to detail is not required for your type of shooting while hunting but it’s ignorant if you think that shooting 40 rounds/year inside of 100 yards produces the same knowledge as shooting thousand or tens of thousands rounds per year at 10x the distance.
Not necessarily true most of the time were threading the needle through a thicket. Who said I only hunt hardwoods. We also have crop fields that span hundreds of yards. If you're shooting tens of thousands of rounds a year it probably isn't through a hunting gum. More than likely a target or competition gun.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Here's Warne Mountain Tech 30mm rings on a 7lb hunt ready weight ultralight muzzleloader. Recoil energy is a stout 46 ftlbs. I set that up the same way over 10 years ago 25 inlbs on the 4 cap screws each ring and 65 inlbs in the base clamp nut. Still shoots lights out. No loctite on the rings. View attachment 702238

Why is it so hard for some of you to believe scopes rings can be mounted reliably without loctite. You do realize guys were taking big game and shooting targets before loctite was invented right. Here's a teeth rattler that's been set up the same way without loctite on the rings just the base for over 10 years. Guess what still shoots great. A 12 gauge rifled slug gun shooting 400 grain slugs at 1900 ft per second. Ridiculous amount of recoil. Never came loose. Notice the Nikon scope that hasn't been in production for years now. Still doubting me. Notice the magnaporting near the muzzle. Done many years ago.View attachment 702282View attachment 702283

These are the heavily used, “abused” and “dropped” rifles and scopes you stated? Hmmm. Almost like they look brand new without a scratch.

jimh406

WKR
Why is it so hard for some of you to believe scopes rings can be mounted reliably without loctite. You do realize guys were taking big game and shooting targets before loctite was invented right.
Just fyi, the thread locker that became Loctite was invented in 1953. ;) Probably some people were using something else before then.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Everything works until it doesn't.

I've been on three hunts where I've personally seen a loose or missing screw that was only discovered after that person missed.

For piece of mind a little dab has no down sides.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

And that’s basically the premise in a nutshell.

atmat

WKR
Why is it so hard for some of you to believe scopes rings can be mounted reliably without loctite.
I was just asking if the scope had been on for 10 years, because it looks brand new, as others have said:

These are the heavily used, “abused” and “dropped” rifles and scopes you stated? Hmmm. Almost like they look brand new without a scratch.

All of your “heavily used” and oiled up scopes have zero markings showing actual use.

Oil on ring screws may be okay if you’re shooting a couple times a year from a private ranch. Not a good idea, regardless, but less likely to show problems in comparison to folks getting actual use out of their firearms.

Kurts86

WKR
Not necessarily true most of the time were threading the needle through a thicket. Who said I only hunt hardwoods. We also have crop fields that span hundreds of yards. If you're shooting tens of thousands of rounds a year it probably isn't through a hunting gum. More than likely a target or competition gun.
How many rounds a year do you shoot? What’s the furthest you have ever shot something hunting and on a range?

The drop test include repetitive drops meant to simulate years of hunting in 15 minutes. It’s pretty clear you haven’t read any of that.

Last week at the range my turret set screw backed out because it was the only screw on my optics system that wasn’t using thread locker. Practice and repetitive use showed me the issue before I was hunting. I got home and ordered Vibra-Tite VC3 because I know I’ll remove when I change ammo types/batches.

wesfromky

WKR
This is now my religion with regards to hunting gear.

I shot a buck at like 10 yards with a mech head. No recovery. It might have been me, it might have been the head. But, now I shoot fixed heads with a well tuned bow, so if I shoot at something and don't recover it, I know it was my failure. Had cheap scope rings come loose a couple years ago. Lucky caught it as I was putting a sling on the rifle for the year. Now I buy nicer rings, bought a torque wrench, and use loctite. Same as with archery - if I miss or don't recover something, I want there to be no doubt that it was my failure, not my gear.

CampSmith

FNG
How many rounds a year do you shoot? What’s the furthest you have ever shot something hunting and on a range?

The drop test include repetitive drops meant to simulate years of hunting in 15 minutes. It’s pretty clear you haven’t read any of that.

Last week at the range my turret set screw backed out because it was the only screw on my optics system that wasn’t using thread locker. Practice and repetitive use showed me the issue before I was hunting. I got home and ordered Vibra-Tite VC3 because I know I’ll remove when I change ammo types/batches.
I'm tired of this tit for tat. Keep shooting your 6.5 Creedmoors in 12lb guns using loctite on everything and ill keep stacking up deer black bear wild hogs coyotes etc. with dedicated hunting guns without loctite year after year after year. I hunt from early September till mid February in 3 states every year. None of my guns lose zero.I don't make a habit of personally dropping my guns. But if you do have fun. Have I dropped my guns over the years absolutely but to be honest not as often as you would think. Have I fell yes anyone who hunts hard and tells u they don't is full of shit. If you happen to fall no matter how you mount your scope you should shoot your gun before heading out again. This is totally out of control lol. Some of you guys just can't handle that something other than what you do works with 💯 percent reliability. I'm done on to the next.

CampSmith

FNG
Have you ever been on a deer drive through a thicket where you're crawling on your knees just to get to the next clearing. I'm gonna say no you haven't. If you want to baby your guns just stay in the truck. Been driving deer for years that way my guns aren't pampered. 😉

CampSmith

FNG

I've been on three hunts where I've personally seen a loose or missing screw that was only discovered after that person missed.

For piece of mind a little dab has no down sides.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Yes I agree 💯 if it works for you is all that matters. I never told anyone here not to and am not saying it doesn't work.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Have you ever been on a deer drive through a thicket where you're crawling on your knees just to get to the next clearing. I'm gonna say no you haven't. If you want to baby your guns just stay in the truck. Been driving deer for years that way my guns aren't pampered. 😉

Yet strangely lacking any signs of use whatsoever.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Oh boy get ready you just went against the majority consensus here. I do exactly that.

No one cares what you do. What people are disagreeing with you about is #1, that oil on any screw does anything other than make that screw more likely to loosen. #2, that thread locker on ring screws is anything other than something that helps screws not inadvertently move. And #3, that your version of “use” isn’t others version. Your rifles show/have less use than the last rifle I received has in a single week.

CampSmith

FNG
No one cares what you do. What people are disagreeing with you about is #1, that oil on any screw does anything other than make that screw more likely to loosen. #2, that thread locker on ring screws is anything other than something that helps screws not inadvertently move. And #3, that your version of “use” isn’t others version. Your rifles show/have less use than the last rifle I received has in a single week.
Exactly!! You keep doing you and I'll keep doing me. Never told anyone not to do anything just pointing out how I do it. Also I was responding to the guy that posted this originally. I understand if it works for you keep doing it. If I encountered a problem throughout the years with loose rings I would've changed the way I do things.