Scope magnification & 1st FP vs 2nd FP for lightweight build

I'm looking at putting together a lightweight rifle and stuck on my choice of scopes for a couple of reasons.. To stay within my budget and weight requirements, I have a few choices I'm looking at. The Leupold VX5 4-20 X 52, Leupold VX5 3-15 X 44 and the Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22 X 50 are the scopes I have landed on. I hope this gun will be a shooter to 600 ish yds but generally do my harvesting at much closer ranges so I'm looking for an appropriate magnification for this gun and trying to decide if this gun's intended use would favor a 2nd focal plane scope or if this would be a good time to try my first, 1st focal plane scope. That's where the Razor LHT comes in. I currently own a VX6 3-18 and have no trouble shooting well past 600 yds with it but and would go that route again but want to save a little money if I can to dedicate to ammo components...bullets, powder, brass etc. Here is what I'm looking for feedback on:

Vortex LHT
FFP scope functionality for close to medium shots?
Is the reticle visible at the lower magnification range?

Leupold VX5 3-15 (lightest and most budget friendly of my choices )
Enough magnification for 600-650 yds?
Adequate light transmission for hunting conditions with 44MM objective?

Leupold VX5 4-20
Does the additional magnification and larger tube and objective lens justify the additional cost and weight when compared to the other scopes I'm looking at for those who have one?

Any input is appreciated!

josef

FNG
Of these options I would go with the VX5 3-15x44. Its going to be lighter than the 4-20 and the light difference in terms of usability will likely be minutes if that (you will likely be able to use both after legal shooting light). The turret on the VX5 is much nicer than the Vortex. For 600 yards 15x is more than enough mag for big game animals.

FFP scopes are great for long range precision shooting but in my opinion leave a little bit to be desired when it comes to usability on low power for hunting. If you are going to use your reticle for a wind hold its pretty easy to do that with SFP as long as you understand how it works.

I'd pass on the LHT especially with their recent price increase. For that money, you can pick up a demo NF NSX or NX8 or a Trijicon Credo or TenMile. These are solid scopes that have proven reliability.

I have two VX5 HDs (3-15) and a VX6HD (3-18). They've been reliable for me and my only issue has been the battery covers falling while hunting (both VX5 HD and VX6 HD). No harm came to the scopes but it was irksome nonetheless.

I'd pass on the VX5HD (4-20) based upon cost. With shopping around you can get a VX6HD for about the same price but you get the internal level and some other goodies that are not on the VX5HD series.

While I get scope manufacturers needing to raise their prices, they have done themselves a huge disservice in my opinion. Why pay for a scope that has known reliability issues when the same price can get you a nice scope with proven reliability? These price increases offset any "value" perceptions that they previously had.

OP
Bitterbrush
Of these options I would go with the VX5 3-15x44. Its going to be lighter than the 4-20 and the light difference in terms of usability will likely be minutes if that (you will likely be able to use both after legal shooting light). The turret on the VX5 is much nicer than the Vortex. For 600 yards 15x is more than enough mag for big game animals.

FFP scopes are great for long range precision shooting but in my opinion leave a little bit to be desired when it comes to usability on low power for hunting. If you are going to use your reticle for a wind hold its pretty easy to do that with SFP as long as you understand how it works.
Thanks for your input! i like to dial for hold anyway so I'm leaning towards the duplex reticle
I'd pass on the LHT especially with their recent price increase. For that money, you can pick up a demo NF NSX or NX8 or a Trijicon Credo or TenMile. These are solid scopes that have proven reliability.

I have two VX5 HDs (3-15) and a VX6HD (3-18). They've been reliable for me and my only issue has been the battery covers falling while hunting (both VX5 HD and VX6 HD). No harm came to the scopes but it was irksome nonetheless.

I'd pass on the VX5HD (4-20) based upon cost. With shopping around you can get a VX6HD for about the same price but you get the internal level and some other goodies that are not on the VX5HD series.

While I get scope manufacturers needing to raise their prices, they have done themselves a huge disservice in my opinion. Why pay for a scope that has known reliability issues when the same price can get you a nice scope with proven reliability? These price increases offset any "value" perceptions that they previously had.
Thank you! That's a good point on cost of the VX5 vs VX6. I have a VX6 and it has been a good scope. My only complaint is I find the windplex reticle to be a bit chunky when shooting on paper but for hunting is fine. I'm the idiot who purchasd that reticle so i shouldn't complain. Trijicon is one that wasn't on my radar. They apparently don't invest many marketing dollars. I don't recall the last advertisement I've seen for their product. I will have to check them out. I appreciate the input!

sndmn11

WKR

or backorder this
i was thinking the swfa 3-15 would fit his niche well, save some money, and be tough to beat in his budget regardless. i recently got lucky and ended up with a 3-9X, but am getting the itch for another scope soon (thinking of getting something light and putting the 3-9 on it) and will end up with an NXS 2.5-10X (most likely) swfa 3-15, or eotech vudu 3.5-18.... only reason i'm considering the eotech is to let Form test it before i put it on a rifle... i'm curious about them and their durability.

when my mag XLR shows up, my once lightweight rifle will no longer be... won't be really heavy either, and will be better for it's intended use, but i am already getting the itch for a light rifle again for calling lions, and i want the 3-9 swfa to go to my lightest rifle.... so a new scope is on the horizon

OP
Bitterbrush
OP
Bitterbrush
i was thinking the swfa 3-15 would fit his niche well, save some money, and be tough to beat in his budget regardless. i recently got lucky and ended up with a 3-9X, but am getting the itch for another scope soon (thinking of getting something light and putting the 3-9 on it) and will end up with an NXS 2.5-10X (most likely) swfa 3-15, or eotech vudu 3.5-18.... only reason i'm considering the eotech is to let Form test it before i put it on a rifle... i'm curious about them and their durability.

when my mag XLR shows up, my once lightweight rifle will no longer be... won't be really heavy either, and will be better for it's intended use, but i am already getting the itch for a light rifle again for calling lions, and i want the 3-9 swfa to go to my lightest rifle.... so a new scope is on the horizon
I'm not familiar with SWFA prodcut. I must be living under a rock!

SWFA scopes are solid but you typically either have to be lucky and find one you want in stock or patient and back order the one you want.

Mds2004

FNG
I just purchased this which seems to be in a similar price range with the LHT. 3-18, FFP, and 24.4oz.

For a lightweight hunting rifle with use inside 600 yards, it’s hard to beat Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 green MIL. I have that very scope on my primary 270 and can ring the 12 inch gong at 600 yards with boring regularity. No knob twisting, no fiddling with any adjustments. Just hold for elevation and windage as needed and let her rip.

Putting a big heavy scope on a lightweight mountain rifle makes about as much sense as filling your pockets with rocks before you head up the mountain.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I'm not familiar with SWFA prodcut. I must be living under a rock!
Heavy and you’ll be disappointed in image quality. Especially in low light conditions. I’ve heard they are good scopes if you’re susceptible to dropping and banging rifles all the time. No personal experience with dropping them, but I’ve owned two of their scopes. They are both sold.

Image quality and weight are great on VX5 and VX6. I’ve had one VX-6 and two VX-5s fail on me. One due to vibration, one due to water ingress, and one unknown (likely too many rounds shot with it but not sure). All were warranteed by Leupold and then sold.

I ended up finding a little gem of a scope that met all of my requirements and passed all of my over zealous tracking/field tests in the Meopta MeoPro line. They no longer make them unfortunately but I own 4 of them currently.

OP
Bitterbrush
For a lightweight hunting rifle with use inside 600 yards, it’s hard to beat Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 green MIL. I have that very scope on my primary 270 and can ring the 12 inch gong at 600 yards with boring regularity. No knob twisting, no fiddling with any adjustments. Just hold for elevation and windage as needed and let her rip.

Putting a big heavy scope on a lightweight mountain rifle makes about as much sense as filling your pockets with rocks before you head up the mountain.
Ha! I'm hoping to stay in the 22 ish ounce on down. Trijicon does peak my curiousity. A few folks now have suggested that. I haven't looked through one. Maybe I will try to give one an eyeball so what the glass quality is like.

EdP

WKR
IMO you are looking at way too high power scopes. 12x is plenty good at 600yds and 9x is fine. Whether you use FFP or SFP you will lose field of view at the higher magnifications. That makes finding an animal for a follow-up shot more difficult. I understand that you like to dial, but you need to consider what is going to happen when you need reading glasses, which will almost certainly happen in your early 40's. You won't be able to read the dials. That's when BDC reticles start looking like a much better option.

OP
Bitterbrush
Heavy and you’ll be disappointed in image quality. Especially in low light conditions. I’ve heard they are good scopes if you’re susceptible to dropping and banging rifles all the time. No personal experience with dropping them, but I’ve owned two of their scopes. They are both sold.

Image quality and weight are great on VX5 and VX6. I’ve had one VX-6 and two VX-5s fail on me. One due to vibration, one due to water ingress, and one unknown (likely too many rounds shot with it but not sure). All were warranteed by Leupold and then sold.

I ended up finding a little gem of a scope that met all of my requirements and passed all of my over zealous tracking/field tests in the Meopta MeoPro line. They no longer make them unfortunately but I own 4 of them currently.
Lots of fellas here have so many preferences I hand't considered. I have some homework to do apparently. The weight or lack there of why I generally gravitate to the Leupold product and was considering the Vortex Razor LHT. I have always found the glass to be pretty good as well. Above all else, weight, glass quality etc, I want to avoid failure more than anything. Hunting time is darn hard to come by! Thanks very much for your input. I appreciate it.

I just picked up a trijicon credo hx in 2-15x42. It's a SFP scope with a bdc reticle and a similar weight and feature set to some of those you're considering.

I haven't used it yet but there are a few posts on here from those who have. One thing I'll add on it is that despite being SFP the reticle gives you the sub tension values at multiple power levels. So you could have holdover data at 15x or 10x.

I just picked up a trijicon credo hx in 2-15x42. It's a SFP scope with a bdc reticle and a similar weight and feature set to some of those you're considering.

I haven't used it yet but there are a few posts on here from those who have. One thing I'll add on it is that despite being SFP the reticle gives you the sub tension values at multiple power levels. So you could have holdover data at 15x or 10x.
Can also get the sub tension values (ex: yardage) with a ballistic app.

TomJoad

WKR
Lightweight Scope ≠ 30mm tube.
All a 30mm tube is giving you is more room to dial that you can’t take advantage of at the distances your staying in. No better light gathering. Heavier scope and heavier rings.

Per the others 3-9 is plenty of magnification for your use, higher than that you are just over weight for no benefit.

I’d go Swaro Z3 3-10x42 at 12.7oz or Leupold VX3 3.5x10x40 at 13oz if you want to save $$

texasbbq

Lil-Rokslider

When have you personally experienced an LHT being unreliable?

Look at the drop test threads for various rifle scopes including the LHT.

With the $300 price increase, any value proposition the LHT offered went out the window.