Scope magnification & 1st FP vs 2nd FP for lightweight build

I have no experience with the Leupolds, but a lot with Nightforce, March, and U.S. Optics. From my experience, the first focal plane scopes are great for holdover points at any magnification, but shit for pin pointing shots. The reticle is too thick in every one I've looked through. That's why I only own one ffp.

OP
Bitterbrush
I just picked up a trijicon credo hx in 2-15x42. It's a SFP scope with a bdc reticle and a similar weight and feature set to some of those you're considering.

I haven't used it yet but there are a few posts on here from those who have. One thing I'll add on it is that despite being SFP the reticle gives you the sub tension values at multiple power levels. So you could have holdover data at 15x or 10x.
I will give that a look. Thanks!

OP
Bitterbrush
I have no experience with the Leupolds, but a lot with Nightforce, March, and U.S. Optics. From my experience, the first focal plane scopes are great for holdover points at any magnification, but shit for pin pointing shots. The reticle is too thick in every one I've looked through. That's why I only own one ffp.
Yep. I was almost set on the FFP scope for my next one but leaning back towards another 2nd FP. Generally, the critters I'm hunting get shot at fairly reasonable ranges and sometimes very close. I want to be able to quickly pick up the reticle and find my target. I put less thought into buying a truck than i do a darn rifle scope!

wyosam

WKR
Lightweight Scope ≠ 30mm tube.
All a 30mm tube is giving you is more room to dial that you can’t take advantage of at the distances your staying in. No better light gathering. Heavier scope and heavier rings.

Per the others 3-9 is plenty of magnification for your use, higher than that you are just over weight for no benefit.

I’d go Swaro Z3 3-10x42 at 12.7oz or Leupold VX3 3.5x10x40 at 13oz if you want to save $$

Not much FOV in the VX3 line though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha! I'm hoping to stay in the 22 ish ounce on down. Trijicon does peak my curiousity. A few folks now have suggested that. I haven't looked through one. Maybe I will try to give one an eyeball so what the glass quality is like.
Easy button is the Nightforce NXS Compact 2.5-10x42. Bullet proof if you intend to dial and with the MOAR reticle it works nicely as a hunting scope. I know someone will complain its a SFP scope but for a all out hunting scope its tough not to like IMHO. Comes in at 20.5 ozs so hard not to like that.

Last edited: