Scope Leveling; Instruction that ran counter to everything I thought I knew

It’s the year of our Lord two thousand and twenty four. Please tell me you don’t think a bullet rises when it is fired from a barrel.
Once again I assume we are talking about shooting long range, so a bullet is going to rise when it is fired. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
So, there is always the question, is an effect significant. The simple answer is people dial from a 100 yard zero to make shots shorter than 300 yards, but some math and over simplified physics calculations to illistrate.

Keeping math simple. If we have a bullet launched at 3000 fps, assuming speed is constant, it takes 0.1 seconds to reach a 100 yard target (reality is longer due to velocity loss).

Gravity is acting on the bullet while it is in the chamber even, but the equal and opposite force of the barrel is preventing any drop. The instant the bullet leaves the barrel the opposing force is lost and gravity starts accelerating the bullet downwards at about 32 ft/s^2.

So, in the 0.1 second flight time, a bullet fired perfectly level will drop 1.9 inches, 200 yards will be 7.7 inches, and 300 yards will be 17.4 inches. Remember, these are under estimations because the flight time is constantly getting longer as velocity is lost.

Even with my crappy shooting and a hunting rifle gravity has what I would consider a significant effect on a bullet at 100 yards.

Reactions: Tnc

EdP

WKR
So Marbles did the math and reached the same conclusion as the article JohnJohnson posted. The bottom line is that leveling the scope and rifle is a good idea because it does make a difference. The difference is small and making sure it is VERY small is easy with simple tools. I clamp a rifle in a vice pointed at the garage door and make sure it is level using a string level sitting on a bottom ring 1/2 or rail. With the rifle held level mount the scope keeping the horizontal crosshair parallel to the horizontal line of a garage door panel (previously checked with my carpenter level). No special tools, just a reasonable effort using what every man should have available or can easily get.