Scope Choice for Long Action Rifle

Ludo

FNG
Ok, I may get booted for beating this dead horse… but I need some help! I thought I had my scope choice figured out. I settled on the ZCO ZC420 for my custom 7PRC long range hunting rifle. It’s everything I wanted (minus the weight). I called to order it, and the salesman pointed out that it may not mount up correctly on my long action due to its shorter front mounting surface. I don’t want to use a full length 20 MOA rail. I’m open to a 2 piece rail, but would like to stay with something like the Gunwerks 20MOA RING set (one piece ring/mount = less joints). My second choice would be an ATACR 4-20, but the ATACR’s have the same issue. I want this scope mounted as low as possible. So this led me to my 3rd and 4th options… the Kahles K525i DLR, and Leupold Mark5HD 5-25…. But both of these have 56mm Objectives, which I was trying to avoid (again in an effort to keep it as low as possible).

Any suggestions?!? I have two main questions for you folks:

1. Is there a solid way to mount the short ZC420 or ATACR scopes while keeping them super low and far enough back for proper eye relief?

2. Who is using 56mm objectives on their hunting rifles? Is it too unbalanced and cumbersome? I’m coming from a 44mm so 56mm seems absurd.

My goal is to find:
- high end, durable scope (no budget on this one)
- FFP
- 35oz or less (obviously lighter is better)
- illuminated MOA reticle
- higher mag range (20-25x range)
- forgiving eyebox

All opinions/comments (good or bad) are welcome. Help a brother out.

Last edited:

Kurts86

WKR
I’ve run into this issue on long actions before and I’ll never build/buy another long action rifle without a 1 piece rail and an adjustable cheek piece to get the height necessary to clear the rail with short scope objectives. Most of the more modern scopes won’t allow for great eye relief with 2 piece mounts.

WKR
Nightforce C542 is what I have and use a lot. Its quite good and mounting length is 6.3". I'd run a rail before choosing other scopes though this one may work anyway for you.

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
The non-ultra short S&B 3-20x50 would be worth looking into, not sure what MOA options are availabLe though.
The Burris XTR3i 3.3-18x50 isn’t super compact so could also be worth a look.

There is also a new Delta Stryker 3.5-21x44 that is meant to be out in the next few months, it looks like it has a decent length tube for mounting and the 44mm objective would help with a lower mount height.

SloppyJ

WKR
Ran into this issue with a NX8 2.5x20 on a 280AI. I went with a rail and have it back as far as it will go. The limiting factor was the bell of the scope housing hitting the rail. I might file that down at a 45° angle and inch it back even more. Using medium 1" high rings and adjusted my cheek piece to get my eye lined up correctly but I would still like to move it back just a hair.

The NX8 4x32 is a bit longer. Maybe something from the NXS line would work better?

SDHNTR

WKR
It’s a Gunwerks Magnus stock
Then I think you are worrying over nothing. That stock has plenty of comb for most scopes. Length might be an issue, but height shouldn’t be. 4-16 ATACR would work if you really want 34mm. Or Trijicon Tenmile 3-18 in a 30mm would be a good choice too.

SDHNTR

WKR
Ran into this issue with a NX8 2.5x20 on a 280AI. I went with a rail and have it back as far as it will go. The limiting factor was the bell of the scope housing hitting the rail. I might file that down at a 45° angle and inch it back even more. Using medium 1" high rings and adjusted my cheek piece to get my eye lined up correctly but I would still like to move it back just a hair.

The NX8 4x32 is a bit longer. Maybe something from the NXS line would work better?
I recently had to grind the front of a rail down to get an NF NXS compact to fit. Not a big deal.

OP
L

Ludo

FNG
Then I think you are worrying over nothing. That stock has plenty of comb for most scopes. Length might be an issue, but height shouldn’t be. 4-16 ATACR would work if you really want 34mm. Or Trijicon Tenmile 3-18 in a 30mm would be a good choice too.
Ok, great. I appreciate the response! I talked to both gunwerks and Zero compromise directly, and they both think it should work with a two piece rail and medium height rings. Fingers crossed.

SloppyJ

WKR
I recently had to grind the front of a rail down to get an NF NXS compact to fit. Not a big deal.
I have some oxpho blue coming in for another project but didn't know how the aluminum would take the bluing. I might take quite a bit off if I think I can get it exactly where I want. That part of the rail is not structural in any way and none of the clamping force is there either. I can't see it being a bad thing if I shave one or two "risers" off of the pic rail.

I bedded the rail too so for some reason that makes me feel better :)

SDHNTR

WKR
I have some oxpho blue coming in for another project but didn't know how the aluminum would take the bluing. I might take quite a bit off if I think I can get it exactly where I want. That part of the rail is not structural in any way and none of the clamping force is there either. I can't see it being a bad thing if I shave one or two "risers" off of the pic rail.

I bedded the rail too so for some reason that makes me feel better :)
Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black

SDHNTR

WKR
Its in the works, you know that
Kinda. If like anything they’ve done in the past, it’s only for one rifle model and a limited run. I’d love to see them expanded into a regular offering and for many receiver models.

OP
L

Ludo

FNG
If Hawkins would only make their long range hybrid rings with a zero cant , it would be a game changer for those amongst us who dislike using a rail.
Yes, agreed that would be ideal! This is going on a gunwerks rifle, and they make their own proprietary “unity” rings (like the Hawkins hybrid), but of course, they don’t make them in 36mm. So, I asked Hawkins if they had any plans to make them in 36, and they said no.

SDHNTR

WKR
Yes, agreed that would be ideal! This is going on a gunwerks rifle, and they make their own proprietary “unity” rings (like the Hawkins hybrid), but of course, they don’t make them in 36mm. So, I asked Hawkins if they had any plans to make them in 36, and they said no.
What two piece rail are you looking at?