SCARPA REBEL K PRO 10 HD Worth the $500?

So from what you've described I'd say you may want a good backpacking or backcountry hunting boot. It doesn't sound like you need a mountaineering boot (crampon compatible, synthetic contruction, etc). You could could find a light mountaineering boo very nice, they work very well for some folks. I've never used them so I don't have an opinion there.

What a backpacking boot will likely get you over your Redwings (and the degree to all of these will depend on the boot and which redwing). I would expect the backpacking boot to be stiffer to provide more support for your feet while carrying heavy loads, more weather resistant (less seams, a goretex liner), likely lighter weight, more grippy sole, better lacing system.

That said I've seen folks backpacking in cowboy boots and having a great time! :)
Yeah, that last sentence describes some people I know in Texas haha. Thanks for the info

I have a lot of boots, this being some. I worked the oilfields myself. The boot that worked the field will be geared towards climbing ladders and standing / walking. Stiff ankles are not helpful for this and driving in mountaineering boots......well, it sucks.

A mountaineering boot will be able to stabilize your foot in all aspects, where a work boot is typically shanked for ladders and shovels, but designed to be able to flex.

A mountaineering boot will typically have a much softer rubber compound because they need to grip where a workboot will be vibram based and designed to be oil resistant and take surface abrasion well.

A mountaineering boot will be designed to shed snow and water where a work boot is designed to protect your foot and likely be able to be made steel toed.

View attachment 208561
That's a cool picture haha

Yeah, a lot of guys out here in Colorado prefer to just wear trails shoes for Sept archery elk season. Light, cool and comfy. Where a mountaineering boot is going to shine is on steep technical terrain and carrying heavy loads. Stiffer shank for walking on rocks and uneven terrain, stiffer ankle for the same reasons, waterproof and so on. But for a day elk hunt if you are truck camping and not traversing scree fields or above treeline rock fields not walking 20 miles a pair of trail shoes will likely be fine. Hence the reason why I thought the Scarpas that were linked to looked like high alpine cold weather sheep/goat hunting boots.

In the end, the shoe/boot that doesn’t give you blisters or beat up your feet so bad that you can’t walk the next day is the right shoe. I have developed plantar fasciitis from working years of construction and wearing shitty boots on ladders all day so I find a stiffer shank boot to be better for me as it gives the bottom of my feet more support. A stiffer shank boot for other people in the same situation may be overkill. If the redwings are comfortable and you can walk all day over varied terrain while carrying a pack without any discomfort then they are a good enough shoe, I had a pair of Garmont shoes years ago that were comparable to their current Dragontail shoes that I hiked everywhere in Colorado with.. then again I’ve done 5 14ers now wearing flip flops so..

Yeah, a lot of guys out here in Colorado prefer to just wear trails shoes for Sept archery elk season. Light, cool and comfy. Where a mountaineering boot is going to shine is on steep technical terrain and carrying heavy loads. Stiffer shank for walking on rocks and uneven terrain, stiffer ankle for the same reasons, waterproof and so on. But for a day elk hunt if you are truck camping and not traversing scree fields or above treeline rock fields not walking 20 miles a pair of trail shoes will likely be fine. Hence the reason why I thought the Scarpas that were linked to looked like high alpine cold weather sheep/goat hunting boots.

In the end, the shoe/boot that doesn’t give you blisters or beat up your feet so bad that you can’t walk the next day is the right shoe. I have developed plantar fasciitis from working years of construction and wearing shitty boots on ladders all day so I find a stiffer shank boot to be better for me as it gives the bottom of my feet more support. A stiffer shank boot for other people in the same situation may be overkill. If the redwings are comfortable and you can walk all day over varied terrain while carrying a pack without any discomfort then they are a good enough shoe, I had a pair of Garmont shoes years ago that were comparable to their current Dragontail shoes that I hiked everywhere in Colorado with.. then again I’ve done 5 14ers now wearing flip flops so..
Thank you. Excellent advice. Lots of great advice from folks on here.

That's a very, very different boot than a redwing. Beyond that, it depends on if they fit your foot well. I tried Scarpa and hated them, tore my feet up, now run Lathrop & Sons and Crispi.

Whenever I buy a boot, I expect that I'm going to return at least 2-3 pairs after trying them on in my house before settling on a model and size that works for me. Make sure you're allowed to return them once wearing them around the house or on a treadmill.
@Brendan What is a good place to work with, in your opinion to try on several different kinds of boots and then return them?

@Brendan What is a good place to work with, in your opinion to try on several different kinds of boots and then return them?

Wherever has them in stock and allows it via return policy.

I've used BlackOvis and returned multiple pairs of boots, but I have always bought my final pair of boots from them when I do that. I'm sure there are others. Keep in mind, you do have to pay return shipping for every pair you send back.

I hunt big country and am specifically looking for a late season boot, how are these warmth wise.

If you’ve never worn a mountaineering boot, especially a European made one, I would advise trying them on first. They are a very snug fit on purpose to make technical climbing easier. I would say for hunting in Scarpas (I have the R-Evo) I would go at least a half size up and have a low volume foot. That’s the height of your foot measured vertically from the floor. If you have a large volume foot, I would see these being very uncomfortable.

I've had great results from Lowa Tibet and Zamberlan 980's. Had a pair of Scarpa Ribella HD that were 75% of what I needed early season, just not enough ankle support for me and certainly not warm enough for late season.

I went ahead and bought a pair. Out of the box they're the best fitting/feeling boot I've ever put on. Love the height, ankle support feels solid and the sole is the perfect combination of stiff enough for the rough ground but flexible enough to be comfortable on easy ground. Time will tell but so far I really like them, the price is stiff but if they last a few seasons I wont complain one bit.

I went ahead and bought a pair. Out of the box they're the best fitting/feeling boot I've ever put on. Love the height, ankle support feels solid and the sole is the perfect combination of stiff enough for the rough ground but flexible enough to be comfortable on easy ground. Time will tell but so far I really like them, the price is stiff but if they last a few seasons I wont complain one bit.
Weiser,

How does the stiffness of the Rebel K insulated compare to the Ribelle HD?

I've generally gone away from the very stiff boots to ones that have some flexibility, but not all the way towards trail runners.

Thx

s

Back