Scammed by an Alaskan Guide

cnelk

WKR
Put a lien on his house/plane/property/etc

That way if he has to sell anything to pay off debtors, you’ll get paid.

Game and Fish can’t do anything for you. Contact the Alaska Big Game Commercial Services Board. If he’s losing his license, they’ll be familiar with the fella and may have some options/more numbers to call.

Then contact a lawyer and delete this vague thread.

OP
IDShane

IDShane

WKR
People don't want to tread into litigious territory. Especially as details are unclear and emerging. Lawsuits are brutal for everyone involved.
I am definitely not trying to let anyone else get hurt here, far from it. I am just hoping to find someone who might have been through this (god forbid) for some guidance. If you are looking to do a hunt I suggest do your due diligence much of this information can be found on the internet.

I've been on three sporting trips where the "guide" requested down-payment.
All three were successfully completed.

One trip, we paid a "packer" to get our "camp" into the mountains and back. He did that just fine.

I've always had too little money and too little trust in strangers to be sending an unknown guide (human?) money for services "yet to be rendered"!

The guide and packer were all known to the people who suggested them and had known them for quite sometime.

Oddly, the cost of the guide was only a small portion of the trip.
If you haven't sunk money into airline tickets, bushplane reservations and motel accommodations, you might just have to write it off as a VERY expensive lesson!

This happens year after year after year!
There are unscrupulous people who have no qualms about cashing your $5k check and disappearing or melting onto the backwoods!
Filing suit to reclaim your cost and even getting a settlement in your favor is normally an exercise in futility!
Asking a ne'er-do-well to repay you the $5k he had to cheat you to get his hands on is a loser.

Knew a guy who was supposedly "honest". Took two pals on a guided bear hunt in Idaho. The pals paid him for the hunt and he was supposed to pay the guide.
When the guide died 30 years later, he still had not been paid for the hunt!
Seems "Mr. Honesty" used his pals money to fund HIS portion of the trip rather than pay the guide!

Sam was a licensed electrician. One of those fly-by-night contractors hired him to wire a log cabin.
He eventually had to file a "labor-lein" against the property to get something for his work.
Every time I talked to Sam he would say he heard from the guy and offer to take 10% off if he would just pay him.
One day I told Sam, "You're doing this all wrong! Instead of telling him you'll take $1500 for your $2000 job, tell him this!"

I'm tired of messing with you! I offered you a deal and you didn't pay!
NOW...the price is $2500 and every time I hear another excuse, the price goes up another $500!

Sam finally got his $2500, but sadly, the smarmy contractor walked off and the actual homeowner had to cough up the price to get the labor-lein off his home.

Rich M

WKR
This is why you pay for this kind of stuff with CC. It gives you a possibility of getting some back.

Talking to others and following up on references seem more important these days. Even with buying stuff local, I'd rather go to a big retailer and pay a little more - sux for mom & pop but there is security in a big outfit.

Original poster: sounds just like how Tom Shankster used operate in Alaska. Google him for
similar rip-offs that went on for over 20 years. He is dead now but sure was a shady operator.

I had a hunt in 2012 with pioneer outfitters. Terry Overly never showed up. The alaska guides association or board was of little help. Good luck and be prepared for a long fight. the only way i got anything back, was because Terry's consession was in Wrangel st elias preserve. The feds helped me get some money back, the state was of no help.

Q child

WKR
I am not sure that I understand what happened, but I think you should contact authorities and an attorney and remove this thread.