Scalable sleep system

sneaky

"DADDY"
Look at The North Face The One sleeping bag system. Scalable for what you want to do. Three bags in one, 40deg, 20 deg, combined 5deg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
R

robertchutch

Lil-Rokslider
cool system but very heavy.

Starting to lean toward a sitka arrowlite bag and a 30 deg quilt going on top for colder nights

Starting to lean toward a sitka arrowlite bag and a 30 deg quilt going on top for colder nights
Out of curiosity what is the EN ratings for the Sitka bag? They say it’s “comfort” rated to 30 but don’t provide the proof (that I could see online).

OP
R

robertchutch

Lil-Rokslider
Out of curiosity what is the EN ratings for the Sitka bag? They say it’s “comfort” rated to 30 but don’t provide the proof (that I could see online).
The actual print on that bag actually has the comfort at 38 deg

I went with the advice of getting the best bag you can afford with the coldest rating you’d expect to see and then just unzip it or use it like a quilt or whatever when it’s too warm. Going to a lighter temp rating didn’t seem like enough of a weight saving to seem worth messing around with a colder bag and trying to make it work, I’m not an oz counter though. I went with the wm badger that’ll be useful for about 3/4 of my needs and since it gets real hot Part of the year where I hunt I’ll take my old mil woobie or a 40 degree nf dolomite

OP
R

robertchutch

Lil-Rokslider
i ended up grabbing a vesper 20. Also found a MH phantom 15 for a good price. just waiting to hear back from the fella

sneaky

"DADDY"

Heavy? The Aerolite bag you were asking about is 2lb 6oz for a 38deg comfort rating. The One bag gives you a 40deg synthetic bag, a 20 deg down bag, or a 5deg complete system for 3lb12oz in regular, 4lb in long IF you use all the components together. Running the 40,or 20, separately would put you well below that. Did you go with a regular or long Vesper? I looked at them the last time I was quilt shopping. 32deg comfort rating sent me in a different direction, that and the hard taper through the middle. If you're going to use another quilt over that it should be synthetic, down inner will push moisture out into the synthetic where it's better managed and preserves your down loft.

Last edited:
OP
R

robertchutch

Lil-Rokslider
Sitka + a vesper is less weight and a much smaller packed size than the north face one

My mindset is synthetic close to the body because our rainy season only gets down to the 40s and 50s and id like to be able to go to bed wet without soaking a bunch of down

+ I cant wear a ONE in the mornings while packing stuff up for a nice warm up.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sitka + a vesper is less weight and a much smaller packed size than the north face one

My mindset is synthetic close to the body because our rainy season only gets down to the 40s and 50s and id like to be able to go to bed wet without soaking a bunch of down

+ I cant wear a ONE in the mornings while packing stuff up for a nice warm up.
Yes you can, there's literally pictures of people wearing the One around camp. The layer zips off and has snaps where you can wear it around as an outer. You have your layering system backwards, down against your body, and synthetic on the outside. Moisture gets pushed through the down out into the synthetic layer where it's dealt with much better, and the outer synthetic layer protects your down from moisture from rubbing against tent fabric, or moisture in the air. 2lb 6oz for the Aerolite bag , doesn't say which length that weight is for, probably the regular, plus either 1lb 3oz for Vesper in regular, or 1lb 5oz in long. That's between 3lb 9oz and 3lb 11oz for that setup, I'm guessing the long Aerolite will bump those numbers up a bit. Almost identical to TNF The One at a much higher price

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you use synthetic inside of down it'll just push the moisture out into the down. But, good luck with your system, hope it works out for you

OP
R

robertchutch

Lil-Rokslider
Yes you can, there's literally pictures of people wearing the One around camp. The layer zips off and has snaps where you can wear it around as an outer. You have your layering system backwards, down against your body, and synthetic on the outside. Moisture gets pushed through the down out into the synthetic layer where it's dealt with much better, and the outer synthetic layer protects your down from moisture from rubbing against tent fabric, or moisture in the air. 2lb 6oz for the Aerolite bag , doesn't say which length that weight is for, probably the regular, plus either 1lb 3oz for Vesper in regular, or 1lb 5oz in long. That's between 3lb 9oz and 3lb 11oz for that setup, I'm guessing the long Aerolite will bump those numbers up a bit. Almost identical to TNF The One at a much higher price

well lets see the pictures then and draping it over your body is not the same thing as genuine arm/leg holes.

As far as your moisture bit, I havent seen any recommendation anywhere for getting into a down bag wet yet it is standard practice for synthetics.
The vesper itself is a hydrophic down so im fairly confident in its ability to deal with the slow drip of condensation while the synthetic does its job.

I dont have to guess on models for weights because i know my bag size. It is lighter and much compresses much smaller.

OP
R

robertchutch

Lil-Rokslider
If you use synthetic inside of down it'll just push the moisture out into the down. But, good luck with your system, hope it works out for you

Idk if I trust a down bag hydrohpic or not to deal with wet clothing. Seems to me the DWR would handle lower quantities of water better. Happy to hear about experiences in that arena

Drenalin

WKR
What im sayin is wouldnt the inside down bag be toast if you got into it wet?
I have no idea. I posted a link to an article with the intent to be helpful to your overall goal. I wasn't responding to the specific situation of you getting inside your bag wet, but will point out that moisture management is a broader topic than you being actually "wet."

What im sayin is wouldnt the inside down bag be toast if you got into it wet?
Why would it?

Plenty of times I’ve thrown a down jacket over a soaked shirt or sweatshirt. “Baked” the wet garment dry with no negative impact to the down jacket.

Had a partially soaked foot box on one of my WM bags. Went to sleep and it was completely dry in the AM; body heat only. This was in a high humidity environment as well.

Now I had a cheap down bag (Slumberjack) that would not move moisture at all. No matter the air temperature, the bag would be soaked from normal perspiration and I’d freeze. I’ve never encountered this with either of my WM bags.

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
I havent read the linked article but I think the outside air temp and where the moisture condensates or freezes in the layering of your system is the deal maker or breaker.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think personally a better scalable sleep system looks like
example
-Western Mountaineering quilt 28 degrees .. reasonable comfortable to near freezing 1lb
- Western Mountaineer Terralite .. big bag .. 25 degree ..
- Add quilt inside Terralite .. near 0 rating ..

Use a tarp , or small flourless shelter

Of course, this is for more of a Colorado Mountain environment .. if I was mainly is the desert .. or south .. I'd probably go .. if set on a Bivy .. a DWR Bivy coupled with a small tarp .. about the same weight as the helium and room for gear and to hang out .. combined with quilt