Savage model 16 Short action stock options

I am looking for a replacement stock for my savage. Currently it has the "tupperware" stock from Savage (not Accustock). I plan to use this rifle for hunting in mountains primarily for Sheep. The rifle weighs 7 lbs,6 oz. currently with a Leupold 3x9 on it. Options I have found are Boyd's laminate or solid wood and Bell and carlson synthetic. I am sure someone has been down this road ,what have you done ? Also curious on the weight of the options I listed . Bell and Carlson lists 2.25 pounds, Boyd's I could not find.

letrbuck

WKR
Several other options out there, but they will all be significantly heavier, or very $$$

Do you have a target weight, price, or configuration?

OP
G
I would like to keep the weight the same or less. I prefer a sporter style stock . Looking for a stiff enough stock to shoot off a bipod and am planning on bedding my action. My rifle is a model 16 7mm-08. I have shot about 100-150 rounds through it and it is not as accurate as a .243 Savage I own with an Accustock. I do not have a set budget but money is a consideration.

ElPollo

WKR
Savages are tough for this primarily because there have been so many changes to the platform. A lot of custom stock makers don’t want to deal with the hassle. For light weight stocks, MPI is the only option I know of. You can look up feedback on the company and it’s pretty hit or miss. I know the management changed in the past few years and I have not seen a ton of feedback on them since. Honestly, there are a lot fewer people making light-weight synthetic stocks these days. Early on light was all the rage. Now most companies offerings actually weigh more than the factory stock. If you really want to cut weight, you may be better off starting with a different gun.

I would like to keep the weight the same or less. I prefer a sporter style stock . Looking for a stiff enough stock to shoot off a bipod and am planning on bedding my action. My rifle is a model 16 7mm-08. I have shot about 100-150 rounds through it and it is not as accurate as a .243 Savage I own with an Accustock. I do not have a set budget but money is a consideration.
Only way you'll keep the weight the same or less is to use the factory stock. There is no replacement stock for Savage rifles that is close to that weight.

Something you can do to reduce weight is to go with the bottom "plastic" and Axis-style mags instead of the bottom metal and magazines with the metal floor plates. This will save you about 7-8 oz. alone.

I have used factory savage stocks for years now, on over a dozen savage rifles, and I have no problem shooting sub-moa groups routinely. These are not bedded either. I see no difference between a bipod or bags and I use both. I think the concern for the flexible forearm is overstated by many. Bedding the front part of the action and around the recoil lug will help, but in my experience not that much. Savages are inherently accurate rifles. I've never owned one that shot worse than 1.5" to be honest, which is why I rely on them. I also have all the tools to tear them apart and mix and match too, so that's another reason.

The only suggestion, aside from the stock you have, would be to look at the wood stock for the Lightweight hunter. You can buy just the stock from Savage, but it will run you about $250. They are very light for a wood stock. I recall about 28-29 oz. I've done this before, for a build I did for a friend. It worked out great and his rifle sits at 7 lbs. even with the leupold scope and talley rings.

IMO the new accufit stocks (with or without the accustock rail) are some of the best fitting stocks I've ever handled. They are light and accurate enough for hunting shots at reasonable ranges. The only thing that might make me want to switch is if I could get a Bansner stock inletted for Savage, but that's about it. Otherwise, I'm happy with the new version of tupperware they put out. It's a big improvement over the old tupperware stocks IMO.

OP
G
Thanks for the help. Will check into MPI. Also there is a gun show happening this weekend so am planning on being there and will see what comes up. Newtosavage, Boyds has a lightweight hunter wood stock on their site now, have you seen that ?

ChrisAU

WKR
Boyds are really heavy, B&C are nice but somewhat expensive. I have both. Much prefer the fit and finish of the B&C, but the price is right on Boyd's if they have a style you like and don't mind the weight.

OP
G
Chris which B&C stock do you have ? what was the actual weight of the stock ? Seems like I am leaning in this direction (B&C). I have weighed my standard Savage tupperware with Axis style plastic detachable mag at 34 ounces. The Accustock on my .243 weighs exactly one pound more. It is the metal bottom detachable mag (weather warrior).

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Bell and Carlson Savage Sporter stock and mine weighed in at 30 ounces. Six ounces less than the advertised weight of 2.25 oz.