Savage lightweight storm 7mm-08 review

dct73

FNG
The factory recoil pad is actually pretty good. My rifle comes in at 6.5 pounds scoped, so there is some recoil and jump. Unless you could load up some 120 BT's at modest velocity, I'm not sure it would be a great first rifle. What's the build of your youth hunter? Kids now-a-days seem to be bigger than ever.

Elite

WKR
These are little sleeper mountain rifles. I picked up the previous version (old style stock) several years ago for a song, also in 7mm-08. First Savage I'd ever bought or shot. I honestly hated the thing at first. Thought it was ugly, and kinda clunky, and just felt cheap.

I also thought the barrel looked weird with the full stock... so I cut it, reshaped it, and gave it a paint job. Ended up looking a lot nicer but I still didn't love the thing. Just didnt feel right, and I'm not a fan of the accutrigger.

All that aside, I carried it on a deer hunt this year and finally fell in love with it. It's crazy light, nice and compact, and shoots better than I can. 120gr Nosler ballistic tips are Mule Deer hammers! I suppose I'll keep it around
Looks really good. Is that new stock that you painted? Whatt did you paint it with?

Elite

WKR
Does anyone have any pictures or success with threading these muzzles for brake? Is it also possible to flute the barrel?

Elite

WKR
I guess I've come full circle and now I'm back to Savage rifles. I've had my eye on their lightweight storm since it was just the stainless lightweight hunter, but I passed on it several years ago (and on the Kimber Hunter) and bought a Tikka instead. My interest in the Tikka ran it's course (too long for me, I decided, and I didn't like the closed top action), so I wandered around with a few others until I finally scratched the Savage lightweight itch due to a good sale on 7mm-08's at CDNN ($549 w/ free shipping).

Got it in yesterday and two things immediately jumped out at me. The barrel looks very thin in the factory plastic stock because Savage made no effort to produce a stock with a narrower barrel channel for the lightweight rifle. But I can live with it. The stock is very comfortable otherwise and I like it better than the old Savage tupperware and Accustock shapes. The new lightweight storm stock came with spacers to adjust length of pull, but not comb height (which I didn't need anyway because it's perfect for me with the medium Talley rings). I might use a spacer but probably not. Out of the box, the thing fit me like a glove.

I read some complaints about the spiral fluted bolt being rough, and although it is a little rougher than the standard jeweled bolt body (which is VERY smooth on my 116 30-06), it's no rougher than any Rem 700 or Ruger American or other common rifle these days. It's already starting to smooth out after just an hour of handling the rifle and working the bolt. It's a non-issue to me. If someone didn't like it, they could always swap it out for a jeweled bolt body in a few minutes. It might add an ounce? Because Savage uses the floating bolt head, your headspace should not change, but I'd still confirm that before firing.

I did end up going with Talley standard Savage 110 rings on it, in which I mounted my Leupold VX-1 2-7x33 LR Duplex scope. At 9.9 oz. it's a perfect scope for this little rifle. I had bought some steel Leupold bases and rings, but decided to stay with the lightweight route and use the Talleys. The Leupold setup would have added 5 oz. Not that much, but enough to notice.

All-in, the rifle, rings and scope weigh 6 lbs. 6 oz. At 40" long and with a light barrel, it balances and points as good as any rifle I've ever had. I have to say, the stock - although ugly - fits me better than the Bansner stock on my Howa Alpine.

This weekend I'll break in the bore and start testing loads. I have 139 Interlock BTSP, 140 Accubond and 154 Interbond loads worked up for testing, along with my 131 Hammers. I'll post up the results when I get them.
Wondering how this rifle is working for you still? I currently own the same rifle and wondering if should dump some money into it (thread barrel) or buy a tikka and dump money into it?

gostovp

WKR
I just picked up a Savage LWS in .308, and want to mount my VX-3 3.5-10x40 on it using the Talley Lightweight rings. I’ve read some reviews where the magnification adjustment ring won’t fit (hits) the base on the lows… thinking I need the Mediums?

TheHammer

WKR
I just picked up a Savage LWS in .308, and want to mount my VX-3 3.5-10x40 on it using the Talley Lightweight rings. I’ve read some reviews where the magnification adjustment ring won’t fit (hits) the base on the lows… thinking I need the Mediums?
Tube length, anchor point/eye relief. Would need to be determined before appropriately answering that.

RS3579

WKR
I have DNZ Medium height on mine for reference. Everything clears with a Swarovski Z3 2-10.

dct73

FNG
I have my scope in medium Talley lightweights. I prefer that height because it's just easier for me to get lined up on the scope. However, my 50mm objective needs them anyway. I could measure the clearance to give you an idea how your objective might fit if you like.

gostovp

WKR
I have my scope in medium Talley lightweights. I prefer that height because it's just easier for me to get lined up on the scope. However, my 50mm objective needs them anyway. I could measure the clearance to give you an idea how your objective might fit if you like.
Thanks. I think after looking at the specs on the Talley I’m gonna try the mediums