Savage lightweight storm 7mm-08 review

I guess I've come full circle and now I'm back to Savage rifles. I've had my eye on their lightweight storm since it was just the stainless lightweight hunter, but I passed on it several years ago (and on the Kimber Hunter) and bought a Tikka instead. My interest in the Tikka ran it's course (too long for me, I decided, and I didn't like the closed top action), so I wandered around with a few others until I finally scratched the Savage lightweight itch due to a good sale on 7mm-08's at CDNN ($549 w/ free shipping).

Got it in yesterday and two things immediately jumped out at me. The barrel looks very thin in the factory plastic stock because Savage made no effort to produce a stock with a narrower barrel channel for the lightweight rifle. But I can live with it. The stock is very comfortable otherwise and I like it better than the old Savage tupperware and Accustock shapes. The new lightweight storm stock came with spacers to adjust length of pull, but not comb height (which I didn't need anyway because it's perfect for me with the medium Talley rings). I might use a spacer but probably not. Out of the box, the thing fit me like a glove.

I read some complaints about the spiral fluted bolt being rough, and although it is a little rougher than the standard jeweled bolt body (which is VERY smooth on my 116 30-06), it's no rougher than any Rem 700 or Ruger American or other common rifle these days. It's already starting to smooth out after just an hour of handling the rifle and working the bolt. It's a non-issue to me. If someone didn't like it, they could always swap it out for a jeweled bolt body in a few minutes. It might add an ounce? Because Savage uses the floating bolt head, your headspace should not change, but I'd still confirm that before firing.

I did end up going with Talley standard Savage 110 rings on it, in which I mounted my Leupold VX-1 2-7x33 LR Duplex scope. At 9.9 oz. it's a perfect scope for this little rifle. I had bought some steel Leupold bases and rings, but decided to stay with the lightweight route and use the Talleys. The Leupold setup would have added 5 oz. Not that much, but enough to notice.

All-in, the rifle, rings and scope weigh 6 lbs. 6 oz. At 40" long and with a light barrel, it balances and points as good as any rifle I've ever had. I have to say, the stock - although ugly - fits me better than the Bansner stock on my Howa Alpine.

This weekend I'll break in the bore and start testing loads. I have 139 Interlock BTSP, 140 Accubond and 154 Interbond loads worked up for testing, along with my 131 Hammers. I'll post up the results when I get them.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
So...when are you going to change your profile name to "Backtosavage"?
I should, right!

I took that handle years ago when I really was "new" to Savage, and was busy learning from the experts on the Savage Shooters forum. I quickly learned that for the hobbyist, Savage rifles can become a dangerous addiction! That said, I never took my Savage rifles as seriously as I should have because like many - I considered them a "budget" brand. After going around the block with most of the commercially available rifles from Ruger (77, Hawkeye and American), Tikka (T3, T3x), Howa (Mini, Alpine and std. 1500), Weatherby (Vanguard), and Remington (700, Seven and SPS), I realized I missed the no-nonsense, no-surprises, consistent accuracy that I got from all my Savage rifles.

Will I start pulling barrels and tinkering again? I want to say no, but I probably know better. LOL

My long action 116 '06 will probably be wearing a carbon .280ai barrel within a year, unless it keeps shooting the way it has. Tough to replace a barrel that cloverleafs in order to save 6 oz.

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Had some quality time at the range this morning with this little rifle.

I tested seven different loads, letting the barrel cool for 3-4 min. in the cab of my pickup with the full A/C going (It's still HOT here!). I shot 3 rounds at 100, then two at 300 to evaluate drops vs. my LR reticle.

Here are the results:

1) 131 Hammer over 44g Varget, avg. 2930 fps, group size ------ 0.75"
2) 131 Hammer over 45g Varget, avg. 2985 fps., group size ------------ 0.30" !!!
(can I even hold a 7x scope on a 6.5 lb. rifle to 0.30"???)
3) 140 Accubond over 42g Varget, avg. 2785 fps., group size --------- 0.60" !
4) 140 Accubond over 43g Varget, avg. 2830 fps., group size --------0.70" !
6) 154 Interbond over 41g Varget, avg. 2705 fps., group size ---- 1.25"
7) 139 Interlock BTSP over 42g H4895, avg. 2850 fps.,group size --- 1.30"

Average 3-shot group size over 15 rounds - 0.69"

Honestly, I'm blown away at how well this thing is shooting some of these loads. I know better than to get too excited by one trip to the range, but even during break-in yesterday, it was shooting 3/4-1" without letting the barrel cool much, and with cleaning between each of the 1st 5 shots, then every other shot, then every 5th shot for 20 rounds. When your worst group out of seven different loads is still only 1.3" that's amazing for such a light rifle with such a thin barrel, and no bedding job. But frankly this is the kind of accuracy that I have become accustomed to with Savage rifles, and I guess that's why I'm back to them after a few years of trying others.

At this point, I'm going to have to choose between the 131 Hammers at 2985 fps (that's a pretty hot load) and the 140 Accubonds at 2830 fps. That's a very good problem to have.

The only thing I can say I don't like about this rifle so far, is the long forearm of the stock and the gap between the forearm and the barrel. I may have to get creative and shorten that forearm and fill it to close up that gap. We'll see. After how she shot today, I'm kinda afraid to touch anything!

IMG_5533.JPGIMG_5534.JPGIMG_5537.JPGIMG_5538.JPGIMG_5539.JPGIMG_5540.JPGIMG_5541.JPG

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
Newtosavage
BTW, this rifle is straight out of the box with no modifications. I did re-torque the action screws, but that's it. Spent an hour yesterday evening breaking it in with 139 Interlocks and H4895 (trying to use them up). By the 6th round, I could tell it was going to be a shooter. The last 14 never wavered from the group.

Here's what my fish scale says it weighs, as shown.

IMG_5544.JPG

Last edited:

Sobrbiker

WKR
Nice!
I you’re sitting on a bunch of 139’s I’d be happy to take em off your hands-just got a 7-08 barrel for my Axis.

funny thing about Savages-I got a 10FP about 17yrs ago and started my precision rifle comp career, which took my all the way through custom rifles, surgeons, etc and I always joke that I spent thousands of dollars to build rifles that’d shoot as good as my old Savage did😆

OP
Newtosavage
Nice!
I you’re sitting on a bunch of 139’s I’d be happy to take em off your hands-just got a 7-08 barrel for my Axis.

funny thing about Savages-I got a 10FP about 17yrs ago and started my precision rifle comp career, which took my all the way through custom rifles, surgeons, etc and I always joke that I spent thousands of dollars to build rifles that’d shoot as good as my old Savage did😆
Actually, I used up the last of my 139 BTSP's today. :D But every Academy around here has them. Seems no self-respecting Texan in their right mind will be seen shooting a dainty 139 grain metric caliber bullet. LOL Their loss.

OP
Newtosavage
Nice!

I think that's a common story to be honest. My first bolt-action rifle was a Savage model 10 .308 XP that I bought about 10 years ago. I always bowhunted or used my Win 94 30-30 before then. I didn't realize at the time that those routine 1" groups (or better) I became accustomed to, were actually not that commonplace. When I started handloading, I eventually got to the point where a 1" group was a disappointment to me, even from a 7 lb. plastic stock hunting rifle. They will spoil a guy.

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
I really like that! I mean I really like that!!!

I also don't think I would mind the gap in the forearm. Should be floated and give it some room for stability in different positions. I usually have to do it on other (tikka) rifles myself.

I've had Savages before. Always liked them, always heard there are "better" rifles...so sold them and got them. They really aren't "better", just different.

I recently purchased a Savage 110 tactical in 6.5 creed. Talk about a good package - adjustable comb, adjustable LOP, came with a 20 moa rail, tactical bolt knob and threaded muzzle. Picked it up at Bass Pro on sale for $550....

This is rounds 4 thru 8 ever through the gun (5 round group)....

Xno9FSs.jpg

Factory 140 winchester match......

I might be "going back to Savage" myself....Thanks for the "push"....Newtosavage!!

OP
Newtosavage
I might be "going back to Savage" myself....Thanks for the "push"....Newtosavage!!
Fantastic group!

I think if people are being fair and objective, they would have to say that Savage is really leading these days on innovation. I can't think of another American rifle company that has made more effort to bring folks innovative changes in the past 20 years. Savage was the first (I know of) with the barrel nut, and now all the major companies (and most of their best-selling rifles) feature barrel nuts. Same with the triggers. Savage came out with the Accutrigger with the safety blade feature and now look how many companies have them. Then the factory stock aluminum bedding rail (do any other companies even have this now) in their Accustock, and now the Accufit modular stocks...

No, they aren't as stylish as other guns, but they just friggin' work and shoot great. And I have to say, this new Accufit stock is the best plastic stock I've ever put to my shoulder in terms of fit. I don't know who designed it, but Savage should keep them around.

OP
Newtosavage
Impressive groups. What is the shortest LOP you can adjust that stock to?
According to this, the stock can be fit down to 12.75" by removing the 1" spacer that comes standard.

The stock can be shortened to 12.75” or expanded as a young person grows to 13.75”.

Finn16

WKR
Had some quality time at the range this morning with this little rifle.

I tested seven different loads, letting the barrel cool for 3-4 min. in the cab of my pickup with the full A/C going (It's still HOT here!). I shot 3 rounds at 100, then two at 300 to evaluate drops vs. my LR reticle.

Here are the results:

1) 131 Hammer over 44g Varget, avg. 2930 fps, group size ------ 0.75"
2) 131 Hammer over 45g Varget, avg. 2985 fps., group size ------------ 0.30" !!!
(can I even hold a 7x scope on a 6.5 lb. rifle to 0.30"???)
3) 140 Accubond over 42g Varget, avg. 2785 fps., group size --------- 0.60" !
4) 140 Accubond over 43g Varget, avg. 2830 fps., group size --------0.70" !
6) 154 Interbond over 41g Varget, avg. 2705 fps., group size ---- 1.25"
7) 139 Interlock BTSP over 42g H4895, avg. 2850 fps.,group size --- 1.30"

Average 3-shot group size over 15 rounds - 0.69"

Honestly, I'm blown away at how well this thing is shooting some of these loads. I know better than to get too excited by one trip to the range, but even during break-in yesterday, it was shooting 3/4-1" without letting the barrel cool much, and with cleaning between each of the 1st 5 shots, then every other shot, then every 5th shot for 20 rounds. When your worst group out of seven different loads is still only 1.3" that's amazing for such a light rifle with such a thin barrel, and no bedding job. But frankly this is the kind of accuracy that I have become accustomed to with Savage rifles, and I guess that's why I'm back to them after a few years of trying others.

At this point, I'm going to have to choose between the 131 Hammers at 2985 fps (that's a pretty hot load) and the 140 Accubonds at 2830 fps. That's a very good problem to have.

The only thing I can say I don't like about this rifle so far, is the long forearm of the stock and the gap between the forearm and the barrel. I may have to get creative and shorten that forearm and fill it to close up that gap. We'll see. After how she shot today, I'm kinda afraid to touch anything!

View attachment 215009View attachment 215010View attachment 215011View attachment 215012View attachment 215013View attachment 215014View attachment 215015

Do you have a pic from the top of the barrel down showing the gap between barrel and stock?