Samsung TV Connected Itself to my Network??

Multiple tech things that are hardly nefarious.

Do you have Gmail accounts and use Chrome? Are the saved Gmail accounts and Chrome passwords, the same email account you used on your TV?

Same for apple

Appletv will share wifi passwords.

I understand not wanting to have x connected. But this is like saying I want a smart toaster plugged into smart outlets, but I only want to turn on the smart outlet. Why?

Dollars to donuts the wife or kid did it. Hardly is it even worth questioning them. Move on is my suggestion, pretend you don't know. Your enemy, is now your asset.

Drenalin

WKR
I remind my kids all the time, in the case of Alexa, not to raise their voices or talk mean to the robot even when it messes up. I would recommend one of two approaches to your TV situation.

You can politely talk it over with the machine, taking care to be caring and gentle so it knows you're in this together. Or, surprise attack and full scorched earth. Then try to buy a dumber TV.

tk44

FNG
Classified Approved
Why would you not want your TV connected to your network? Almost every function of a TV requires internet these days. Your wife or kid probably connected it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the privacy side...
I purposely disable WiFi connection on any new TV I get. Two main reasons for me (and why others should, too) If high end/reasonable modern models without network functionality existed, then I would get that instead but they don't really exist anymore.

On the privacy/security side... Smart TV's are notorious for having weak security and could be a gateway to the reset of your network. While those types of attacks are rare, the TV's themselves are also constantly scanning other devices on your network. One more way for Samsung and other brands to get more info about your daily life and ways they can your data.

On the performance side... Smart TVs have incredibly slow performance and clunky UI. They also serve up Ads, further taking up bandwith on your network when your TV is just on.

So instead I use an Apple TV. Its not perfect but they have a much better track record in terms of privacy and security compared to LG, Samsung, Sony, or any of the cheap brands out there. The software actually runs well, too.

Don't be fooled into thinking you need internet connection directly to your TV.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/fbi-warns-about-snoopy-smart-tvs-spying-on-you/

https://mashable.com/article/how-to...g-on-me-disable-automatic-content-recognition

Eh, because I don’t need it attached. I use over the air or Apple TV. I’ve not needed it connected in two years and still don’t.

And no, my wife nor kid attached it.
Why do you have Apple TV if you're not connected to a network? You need an internet connection to set up Apple TV, so at some point somebody accessed the network while connected to the TV. Also, a TV just doesn't guess your network password and connect itself. At some point, whether they admit it or don't remember doing it, somebody in your house connected the TV to the network.

Finish setting up the connection, update the firmware (few do this), and then do a factory reset. There's more creative options but this will get you going.

People are funny critters. They get their panties in a wad when they perceive their rights are being stepped on by others yet have their heads up their butts when they give so much of their private space/thoughts/moments away freely or near freely just out of convenience.

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
Why do you have Apple TV if you're not connected to a network? You need an internet connection to set up Apple TV, so at some point somebody accessed the network while connected to the TV. Also, a TV just doesn't guess your network password and connect itself. At some point, whether they admit it or don't remember doing it, somebody in your house connected the TV to the network.

The Apple TV is on the network and connected to the TV via HDMI. The TV can be attached to a network but I’ve never done it. Thus the quandary.

I know devices done “just connect themselves.” But this one seems to have.

I purposely did not connect my Samsung TV to my network when I bought it two years ago. Yet arriving back home today I see that it is connected. I cannot find any reference to how to how it could have done that (sharing network password, etc). Anyone had this experience?
My prior Samsung did that about a year ago. When I verified the wife hadn’t done it, I trashed the tv and bought a new one. TV’s are cheap. It’s even cheaper insurance to get a new one.

FWIW, I verified with my internet supplier that they weren’t upgrading service or resetting default settings, etc…. before I hauled it to the disposing center. Might want to do that before you up and trash it.

Check to see if your wife's boyfriend is still logged into the Netflix.

Other than that suggestion, I got nothing. We still don't have a smart TV and receive our entertainment through the antenna.

Wow, talk about paranoid for no reason. 😲
Maybe so. But, I don’t utilize or own possessions that do their own thing. Best way I know of keeping control of my world. My finances. My vital information. ETC….. is using stuff that does what I want it to do. Instead of what it wants to do.

It’s not all bad on this side. I still write my checks and mail in my bills. I always opt for a mailed bill statements too. It’s simple and there’s no doubt the business I conduct, can be recited.

Next time your TV connects itself don’t throw it away. Save the box and just box it back up. I will send you my address and pay the shipping. I run a home for misfit Smart TVs.