Samsung TV Connected Itself to my Network??

ODB

WKR
I purposely did not connect my Samsung TV to my network when I bought it two years ago. Yet arriving back home today I see that it is connected. I cannot find any reference to how to how it could have done that (sharing network password, etc). Anyone had this experience?

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
If you bought it and have connected it to your network once or twice then the TV may have your network password store so it can connect automatically.

But if you have NEVER connected it to your network and you are sure no one else has then that's highly troubling.

Last edited:
Why would you not want your TV connected to your network? Almost every function of a TV requires internet these days. Your wife or kid probably connected it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
Why would you not want your TV connected to your network? Almost every function of a TV requires internet these days. Your wife or kid probably connected it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eh, because I don’t need it attached. I use over the air or Apple TV. I’ve not needed it connected in two years and still don’t.

And no, my wife nor kid attached it.

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
If you bought it and have connected it to your network once or twice then the TV may have your network password store so it can connect automatically.

But if you have NEVER connected it to your network and you are so no one else has then that highly troubling.

Nope. Never connected it even when new. That’s what’s so weird. When we turned on the TV it was updating. I thought “what the hell? How is it updating??”

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
Nope. Never connected it even when new. That’s what’s so weird. When we turned on the TV it was updating. I thought “what the hell? How is it updating??”
It’s your tv and you can choose to connect it to a network or not. Since you are certain that your wife or kids didn’t connect it to the internet. Then you should sure be worried. The tv shouldn’t have the password to your internet.
Someone please correct
Me if I’m wrong Samsung products are made in Japan right ?

Eh, because I don’t need it attached. I use over the air or Apple TV. I’ve not needed it connected in two years and still don’t.

And no, my wife nor kid attached it.
Is your apple tv via the stick that you place in the HDMI port? If so it's not far fetched that the stick feeding into your tv shares info with the TV. This allowing your tv to connect to the same network the apple tv is connected to.

I'm doubting it's aliens or Russian hackers. Most likely just run of the mill advanced electronics in our home. Hell I can connect my fridge or my thermostat to my wifi and phone to control and monitor them.

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
Is your apple tv via the stick that you place in the HDMI port? If so it's not far fetched that the stick feeding into your tv shares info with the TV. This allowing your tv to connect to the same network the apple tv is connected to.

I'm doubting it's aliens or Russian hackers. Most likely just run of the mill advanced electronics in our home. Hell I can connect my fridge or my thermostat to my wifi and phone to control and monitor them.

No, just through the HDMI. I thought of some kind of device sharing info too, but it’s just weird. Was never prompted to do it. Was just connected!

Traveler

WKR
No idea about your tech or social situation to say what might have happened. If you want to narrow the options and help identify cause in the future.
1) change Wi-Fi password
2) change router admin password
3) set up whitelisting,or MAC verification, on your router
4) don’t share new passwords with anyone
5) see what happens next

Do you have kids?

I suspect your son wanted to watch boobies on the big screen while you were gone.
I laughed at this way harder than I should have lol.

OP if you did a screen share to your TV from iPad or phone that is connected to the network at any point in time, the TV could have picked it up from one of those devices.

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
Define “connected”. You can browse internet with TV? Just because it’s “connected” doesn’t mean it can pass data. Could be just waiting for authentication.