Salomon replacement

zeroed

FNG
Heard good things about Hanwag also.

But I’m sure there are a few people who have had bad experiences with every brand. Just need to try a few that have a high chance of working for your feet, socks, use, etc.

Taudisio

WKR
If you buy anything with goretex and expect it to be as waterproof as leather or rubber, you will be let down. I don’t buy Salomon’s for being waterproof. I buy them because they are the only boot I have found that fit my feet without having to take other measures to prevent blisters

rclouse79

WKR
I have been on this quest for years. I would buy a new pair of Salomons every year if they were even remotely water resistant for any length of time. I currently just wear my pairs way longer than I should since the ones with holes in them are just as water tight as when I bought them. Every few years I muster up the courage to try a different boot only to end up with more holes in my wallet and heels. The last attempt was Crispi Lapponia. I kidded myself into thinking I could break them in for a couple months. Luckily I was able to trade them for a similar condition pair of Salomons on Rokslide. At this point I have about given up and accepted wet feet.

Salomon has to hear these complaints.
You would think they could take the basic design and improve upon the weaknesses while maintaining a similar fit and tack on an extra hundred or so bucks. I would gladly pay it.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I was burning through a pair of Salomon’s in about 6-8 months like clockwork. I have a big love/hate relationship with them. The warranty is great, 0 break in time and comfort is awesome, but sucks replacing a boot all the time or busting a hole in the stitching. Went with a pair of full leather zamberlans, so far I’m impressed, i appreciate the stiffness of the boot especially while under weight, time will tell if they last a bit. I still own 4ish pairs of Salomon’s including hiking/trail running shoes

coyyota

WKR
Classified Approved
Little late to this.

I really liked the previous Quests and X-ultras. They are what they are and we all know that. Couple years ago I tried the Salewa Alp Trainer 2 mids. They’ve been great for me. They are kind of an in-betweener of the Quests and X-Ultras.

Recently I picked up a pair of the Mountain Trainer 2 mids, they are great as well. Slightly stiffer than the Quests that I remember, still a very comfortable flex though.

Anyhow, I’ve like both the Alp and Mountain trainer 2s. And I was a fan of those previous Quests and x-ultras.

rclouse79

WKR
Little late to this.

I really liked the previous Quests and X-ultras. They are what they are and we all know that. Couple years ago I tried the Salewa Alp Trainer 2 mids. They’ve been great for me. They are kind of an in-betweener of the Quests and X-Ultras.

Recently I picked up a pair of the Mountain Trainer 2 mids, they are great as well. Slightly stiffer than the Quests that I remember, still a very comfortable flex though.

Anyhow, I’ve like both the Alp and Mountain trainer 2s. And I was a fan of those previous Quests and x-ultras.
How are they for water resistant? I am about due to throw some more money at a potential solution.

coyyota

WKR
Classified Approved
How are they for water resistant? I am about due to throw some more money at a potential solution.
Have had the alp trainers for a couple of years, still waterproof for me. I do take decent care of my boots cleaning/conditioning, but don’t baby them by any means.

Too early to make a call on the mountain trainers.

OP
Shootinsurveyor
Are you talking about when you tried them on at the store? ;)
Not that quickly. One pair was from 2014ish and the other pair was 2019 vintage. I really loved the 1st gen pair. Lasted a good bit and fit my feet better than any other boot.

rclouse79

WKR
Not that quickly. One pair was from 2014ish and the other pair was 2019 vintage. I really loved the 1st gen pair. Lasted a good bit and fit my feet better than any other boot.
Seems like they changed something. The last pair I traded for seemed more narrow. They hurt my feet at the end of a long day which has never happened my previous three pairs.

OP
Shootinsurveyor
Seems like they changed something. The last pair I traded for seemed more narrow. They hurt my feet at the end of a long day which has never happened my previous three pairs.
Funny you say that. My second pair was definitely bigger than the first and affected fit a little bit.

raptor16

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a pair of Schnees timberlines I'm going to try out in hopes they will fit the bill as replacements, but I have my doubts... got them on sale at least so it'll hurt a little less if they don't work

There was a recent thread on this with good info if you search it.

In my opinion, Kennetrek Corrie would probably work great, last longer and stay waterproof. They are stiffer then the Quest but not mountain boot stiff.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
Agree on the Kenetrek Corrie. I used to wear Salomon 4d 3gtx for daily uniform wear. They were not waterproof from day one (none of the several pair I wore over the years were), but they were very comfortable for all day wear. Recently Salomon changed the outer appearance of them, adding some type of outer strap. I didn't like the look, so went to the Kenetrek Corrie. They were a little stiffer than the Salomons, but were very comfortable, and completely waterproof. I wore the first pair daily for a week, then immediately bought another pair.

I smoked a pair of Saloman in under a year, ultras I believe? The did warranty them and gave me a credit so I bought their trail runners.

I loved the comfort and fit of their boots.

I have my best luck with Asolo.
Do the Asolo run the same size as the Salomon?

wyosteve

WKR
I wear the 4D Quests for most everything as well. But I picked up a pair of Crispi Colorados for a recent aoudad hunt and was impressed. Granted, I didn't get to test the waterproofness in the desert, but stability and harder sole on the volcanic rock were great. I did go with a wide version though in order to have enough room similar to the 4D's. Wore a pair of heavier socks and they fit well.

maxmfs

FNG
I am a huge fan of the Scarpa Kailash Trek GTX boots. They are light weight, while still rugged and bombproof.

MattB

WKR
Crispi Thor II is the boot I moved to, like them very much. Stiffer sole but slightly less ankle support.