Salmon Region of ID.

IDVortex

WKR
I'm not going into depth of unit specifics, I'm just trying to gather more understanding of stupid idea I've got (and now my wife is worried with me doing it alone, so it's reinsurance to her I have about 99% chance of not dying.) The wilderness area down there is mostly accessed by boat or air craft, or with groups with horses/mules. My question is, what about a single guy by foot? The area I'm looking at, the only access to the wilderness is by a bridge going across the salmon, but looking at the terrain and maps, I'm figuring if I'm lucky, I ain't getting past 5 miles in, if I'm lucky. But is this something you'd do alone? Or am I just being fullish on my idea? I do know this isn't mule deer heaven, and honestly don't expect to get one. Just would love a challenge and at least say I did it. But not trying to do it in such away I regret it or hate the trip or call it quits to early lol.

Hopefully this isn't all rambled.

OP
IDVortex

IDVortex

WKR
You don’t ever need it, until you need it. I know an ambulance is crazy expensive so I wouldn’t even want to see a life flight bill without insurance.
Yeah, I know how much ambulances are, but planes are more expensive then a ambulance, so prefer to not owe on a flight until I die.

OP
IDVortex

IDVortex

WKR
Well, I guess I'll be sticking with my plan and at the 1st weekend of May ill be making my way down there and trying the area out. And hoping the road/bridge I'm looking at isn't private access only. Otherwise, plan b somewhere. 😂

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt that general area most years. Very rough terrain. Glad you are going early so you can understand what to train for. Bring an inreach and make sure you are marking water. Water is easy in that area down low, but finding seeps and springs up higher makes life much easier. Find a bunch as some are dry by the time muley season starts. In that area if you get a mile away from 4wheeler access you will be mostly alone. Good luck.

OP
IDVortex

IDVortex

WKR
I hunt that general area most years. Very rough terrain. Glad you are going early so you can understand what to train for. Bring an inreach and make sure you are marking water. Water is easy in that area down low, but finding seeps and springs up higher makes life much easier. Find a bunch as some are dry by the time muley season starts. In that area if you get a mile away from 4wheeler access you will be mostly alone. Good luck.
Another reason I'm going thos spring is to try and find as much water as I can.

Andyram_18

Lil-Rokslider
Another reason I'm going thos spring is to try and find as much water as I can.
You aren’t the only one that wonders about this. I’ve spent a lot of time looking at that area and wanting. Just a tad too far to go scout. Maybe someday! Good luck, when ya headed out?

OP
IDVortex

IDVortex

WKR
You aren’t the only one that wonders about this. I’ve spent a lot of time looking at that area and wanting. Just a tad too far to go scout. Maybe someday! Good luck, when ya headed out?
Was planning to had gone down this weekend, but the weather this past week was not the greatest, and Sunday was trash, decided not to go this weekend due to going alone. Probably 2 weekends if not in 3. May just tell the MIL and my mother hunting is more important then mothers day and go next weekend, but who knows.

Andyram_18

Lil-Rokslider
Was planning to had gone down this weekend, but the weather this past week was not the greatest, and Sunday was trash, decided not to go this weekend due to going alone. Probably 2 weekends if not in 3. May just tell the MIL and my mother hunting is more important then mothers day and go next weekend, but who knows.
lol. Are you exclusively scouting for mulies? Or chasing bears too?

OP
IDVortex

IDVortex

WKR
lol. Are you exclusively scouting for mulies? Or chasing bears too?
Primary goal is bears, but also making sure it's a area I want to actually hunt in alone, and lastly, early season scouting for deer. If I like the area and can do it alone, I'll make a couple more trips. Hopefully 1 or 2 more for bear, then a few this summer.

Andyram_18

Lil-Rokslider
Primary goal is bears, but also making sure it's an area I want to actually hunt in alone, and lastly, early season scouting for deer. If I like the area and can do it alone, I'll make a couple more trips. Hopefully 1 or 2 more for bear, then a few this summer.
Right on. Good luck. Are you driving pretty far or is this area closer for you?

Andyram_18

Lil-Rokslider
Oh dang. It’s probably that for me! Seems like the worst part of that area is how steep it is.
But elevation is low? So maybe it’ll miraculously be easy?

TaperPin

WKR
Young me spent a few weeks camped along the salmon and firefighting up higher, but we had a helicopter. During the hunting seasons I’ve gone up many steep remote areas solo and never thought of it as especially dangerous. I do have friends who have poorly developed senses of danger and often get themselves in trouble for poor choices - if you fall in that category, don’t bite off more than you can chew. Despite what younger generations have been led to believe, 100s of generations have safely hunted without cell service - when emergencies have come up, folks back home know exactly where you are hunting and simply come drag your broken leg back to civilization when you don’t come home on time.

If ever there was a good place for a sub 7 lb ready to hunt gun that can still reach way out, this would be it.

In the really steep country your body will give out in predictable ways. Calves have to be in top shape - even for guys used to working in the mountains. Our fire crew simply did six sets of calf raises to failure every other day (three sets toes pointing out, three pointing in) and that eliminated any calf related issues when in the steepest areas. Hams and glutes get plenty of work hauling heavy packs in moderately steep hikes and we’re never a problem in the steep. However, week quads will ruin your day with the stresses on the knees of going down hill - leg extensions and hauling a heavy pack in moderately steep country are essential. Do those things and you’ll be able to hunt country as steep as you want. It’s also a skill to know how steep is too steep given your physical conditioning - some years there are places I’d like to go, but have to avoid because it’s asking for trouble.

That’s the easy part. Big steep country are full of areas with no game - figure out the small pockets that hold game that are within your physical limits and that’s all you can do.