Salmon Region of ID.

IDVortex

WKR
I'm not going into depth of unit specifics, I'm just trying to gather more understanding of stupid idea I've got (and now my wife is worried with me doing it alone, so it's reinsurance to her I have about 99% chance of not dying.) The wilderness area down there is mostly accessed by boat or air craft, or with groups with horses/mules. My question is, what about a single guy by foot? The area I'm looking at, the only access to the wilderness is by a bridge going across the salmon, but looking at the terrain and maps, I'm figuring if I'm lucky, I ain't getting past 5 miles in, if I'm lucky. But is this something you'd do alone? Or am I just being fullish on my idea? I do know this isn't mule deer heaven, and honestly don't expect to get one. Just would love a challenge and at least say I did it. But not trying to do it in such away I regret it or hate the trip or call it quits to early lol.

Hopefully this isn't all rambled.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifeflight insurance and sat comms are incredibly cheap insurance. No brainer......get it.
And go for it!! Just be smart about it, enjoy the journey. We all do risky stuff all the time.

Randy

OP
IDVortex

IDVortex

WKR
You don’t ever need it, until you need it. I know an ambulance is crazy expensive so I wouldn’t even want to see a life flight bill without insurance.
Yeah, I know how much ambulances are, but planes are more expensive then a ambulance, so prefer to not owe on a flight until I die.

OP
IDVortex

IDVortex

WKR
Well, I guess I'll be sticking with my plan and at the 1st weekend of May ill be making my way down there and trying the area out. And hoping the road/bridge I'm looking at isn't private access only. Otherwise, plan b somewhere. 😂

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt that general area most years. Very rough terrain. Glad you are going early so you can understand what to train for. Bring an inreach and make sure you are marking water. Water is easy in that area down low, but finding seeps and springs up higher makes life much easier. Find a bunch as some are dry by the time muley season starts. In that area if you get a mile away from 4wheeler access you will be mostly alone. Good luck.

OP
IDVortex

IDVortex

WKR
I hunt that general area most years. Very rough terrain. Glad you are going early so you can understand what to train for. Bring an inreach and make sure you are marking water. Water is easy in that area down low, but finding seeps and springs up higher makes life much easier. Find a bunch as some are dry by the time muley season starts. In that area if you get a mile away from 4wheeler access you will be mostly alone. Good luck.
Another reason I'm going thos spring is to try and find as much water as I can.