Saddle hunters?

I really wanted to try the 0.5, but can’t bring myself to spend the $. I’ve been using the mission platform more and more and the predator less and less. I’m going to go back to a little more stand hunting this year rather than so much in the saddle. I just enjoy having my back to the tree and seeing everything in front of me I guess.

What rock climbing harness are you using?
Me too. A friend has the .5 and it would work for me as a stand/sit saddle platform, but I decided I was better off putting that $ into the sticks. I bought a novix stand instead which is just under 9lb and smaller than the other options, which was closest I could get to it at a reasonable price. You can also get some other brands that are smaller/lighter, but I really like the quietness of the cast stands.
Any harness will do, nothing particularly special about this one but it's what I have

Last edited:
I use the .5 as a saddle platform and I really like it. Just bought the LWCG 17" mini sticks as well and they work well. Using 3 with a 3 step aider. Light, clean package. I pondered for a year about whether or not to buy the .5 and last year used it every hunt. So far so good. If the .75 was around it would have a coin flip on which to choose.

I use the .5 as a saddle platform and I really like it. Just bought the LWCG 17" mini sticks as well and they work well. Using 3 with a 3 step aider. Light, clean package. I pondered for a year about whether or not to buy the .5 and last year used it every hunt. So far so good. If the .75 was around it would have a coin flip on which to choose.
I’ve really pondered doing this and could obviously turn around and use it as a stand as well. Is the .5 way too small to use solely as a stand? Worth going to the .75 for that?

It isn't too small but it's as small as one could be IMO. I'm 5'-10", 175, so I'm not a large guy and it's fine. I'm definitely more comfortable in a saddle facing the tree, with a backband. Platform is not big by any means, but for me it is big enough. Only reason I say .75, is using the stand as a pack frame, I would like a little more area than the .5 for winter clothes. Not going to get rid of my .5, but if I was starting into the process now, I'd be really considering the .75. Either way you can't go wrong.

0.5 is too small for me if I planned to sit much, but I'm 6'3". My big insulated rubber boots that I hunt in once it gets cold make it feel pretty darn small. The only guy I know who owns one (I dont) says he uses it as a saddle platform or stands facing away from the tree 80% of the time, and sits only occasionally.

Back