S&W 329 PD .44 ammo

Just purchased recently and was curious as to what .44 ammo you all would recommend for grizzly country? Will be carrying in Wyoming this Sept. Was looking at FedPrem cast core but just saw it had been discontinued. Thoughts?

OP
Buffalo Bore makes a good load for that gun. It is a 255 gr. Low Recoil .44 Mag round made for the 329 PD.

Wow thanks...just looked into this. Definitely going to order and compare with other heavier .44 loads. Appreciate the feedback. Anyone have any other recommendations?

Wrench

WKR
I would shoot as much velocity as you can shoot well. A lot of guys get a BAD flinch withthat gun. I have x frame grips on mine and it's a game changer. Xtp, gold dot or cast. ....it's gonna work if you drive it right.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have always been under the impression that the 329pd dosent have a long enough cylinder to accommodate the true bear rounds nor does it have the strength to handle them. The people I know who have these were all pretty much limited to 240g rounds so they moved on and got rugers, that’s what’s always kept me away from the 329.

Cool gun, nice and light but not a great bear gun imo.

Kotaman

WKR
I would shoot as much velocity as you can shoot well. A lot of guys get a BAD flinch withthat gun. I have x frame grips on mine and it's a game changer. Xtp, gold dot or cast. ....it's gonna work if you drive it right.

Yes, I put the rubber X Frame Grips on mine as well. A necessity as far as I'm concerned...The Buffalo Bore round is more shootable without sacrificing much compared to full house loads. More importantly, I know the gun can take it without problems.

264win

WKR
329pd will fit any standard length 44 mag.
I love mine and carry it regularly. That said I can’t imagine shooting some of the +p 340 g loads out of this gun. Recoil is very stout with 250-300gr “standard magnum” loads. If you can’t kill it with a good 300gr 44mag, it’s time to get a rifle.

OP
I have always been under the impression that the 329pd dosent have a long enough cylinder to accommodate the true bear rounds nor does it have the strength to handle them. The people I know who have these were all pretty much limited to 240g rounds so they moved on and got rugers, that’s what’s always kept me away from the 329.

Definitely appreciate the perspective. I've been overanalyzing every damn pistol for way too long. I finally just went for what I felt would be the best gun for me. I'll see how it works out over the next while. I certainly understand that with the size of the 329, there are drawbacks. As they say, someone always gets paid.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Definitely appreciate the perspective. I've been overanalyzing every damn pistol for way too long. I finally just went for what I felt would be the best gun for me. I'll see how it works out over the next while. I certainly understand that with the size of the 329, there are drawbacks. As they say, someone always gets paid.

Sorry if I came across as being negative I didn’t mean to, it’s a cool gun I just wouldn’t expect the lightest 44mag revolver to handle the heaviest rounds out there.

OP
Sorry if I came across as being negative I didn’t mean to, it’s a cool gun I just wouldn’t expect the lightest 44mag revolver to handle the heaviest rounds out there.

No offense taken. I agree with you in fact. Appreciate the insight.

Wrench

WKR
I've shot some gnarly big beartooth through mine. It's flat punishment with the wood grips. Those should be thrown away. The rubber hogues are not much better. The x frame makes it shootable....but it's not something you hand your wife for the first pistol experience.

If you want serious punishment, the 450ti taraus is 10 Oz lighter and 45lc+P rated. Mine would pull the bullets out of 360's even with a Lee factory crimp die pinching the crap out of them. I'd shoot 3 and the other 2 bullets would land on my boot.

Buffalo Bore makes a good load for that gun. It is a 255 gr. Low Recoil .44 Mag round made for the 329 PD.

This, the Buffalo bore Keith loads are made specifically for the 329 to avoid crimp jump and made to penetrate bone. They are also an enjoyable round to shoot, which makes getting proficient with your weapon easier. I highly recommend getting used to drawing from your holster and shooting too. Hope you have a great hunt in Wyoming.

OP
This, the Buffalo bore Keith loads are made specifically for the 329 to avoid crimp jump and made to penetrate bone. They are also an enjoyable round to shoot, which makes getting proficient with your weapon easier. I highly recommend getting used to drawing from your holster and shooting too. Hope you have a great hunt in Wyoming.

Thanks guys. Just ordered some of the Buffalo Bore 255gr. I appreciate the response to the thread as this is exactly the feedback I was looking for. I was certainly aware of heavier .44 loads but didnt know if something more custom for the 329 had been created. Being that I live in California, and now with the new ammo laws in effect post July 1st....it should mean that I actually get the ammo sometime in the year 2028.

Appreciate the forum and thanks for all your responses.

dla

WKR

To me, "a true bear gun", isn't the one you left in the truck cause it is too heavy to carry.
The 329 is THE best carrying 44mag period. If a fellow feels under-gunned, then they should step up to a 454, 480, etc.

hodgeman

WKR
I love met 329. I 've shot a few of the Alaska Backpacker loads through it- far too much recoil. Any standard 240gr 44 mag ammo is about as hot as I care to shoot. I'm not convinced the really hot "bear loads" really bring appreciable advantage over standard loads.

I practice with handloads that are about halfway between 44SPEC and 44MAG loads.

fatbacks

WKR
I have a 329 and I was under the impression you are not supposed to shoot those 300+gr big bear loads through it.

Regardless, I shoot the Buffalo bore reduced recoil loads and those still kick plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
To me, "a true bear gun", isn't the one you left in the truck cause it is too heavy to carry.
The 329 is THE best carrying 44mag period. If a fellow feels under-gunned, then they should step up to a 454, 480, etc.

I agree. This is what put me over the edge in finally jumping in on the 329. It seems to get a lot of pushback for having to much kick or not being able to carry a larger "bear" round. I feel 100% comfortable and confident in carrying it into the backcountry this fall. Ive had a blast shooting it already and have yet to run a special through it.

Hoghead

WKR
Were in California do you live? I would recommend a hard cast lead bullet or solid copper bullet. Stay away from hollow points they are great for making a big hole but dont penetrate as well. If you are in the central valley I will load you any bullet you want to buy. I have brass and powder but not the right bullets for that job. You can do a penetration test on some 240 gr lead bullets I have if you want to but I think they may be to soft.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk