S&B 3-12x42 Klassik for hunting

KenLee

WKR
@KenLee I know you are able to hunt an hour after sunset where you live, you have mentioned this many times. You are in the overwhelming minority there, AND while I certainly appreciate low light performance since I'm often in 100% canopy cover under cloudy no-moon conditions, this particular cross is in a different league than any other illuminated scope I have ever used. If you've used this specific scope in particular and found it problematic, fine, your eyes are different than mine...but if you havent used this specific scope I think 99% of the people out there will find the lower settings so dim as to be useless even well-past legal shooting hours, and will find themselves using setting 2-4 even in "the dark".
I don't mind giving it another try. Maybe my buddy's was an "over achiever" on illumination.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Yes, but I do have some astigmatism. Not a huge amount, cause I've had the peepers worked on a few times which corrected most.
An illuminated tiny dot always seems better to my eyes than an illuminated cross.

You definitely have an eye issue or that scopes illumination was messed up. The illumination in these scopes are specifically designed for night shooting under moonlight.

However, I do prefer a dot versus a cross.

KenLee

WKR
You definitely have an eye issue or that scopes illumination was messed up. The illumination in these scopes are specifically designed for night shooting under moonlight.

However, I do prefer a dot versus a cross.
I'll admit a bias going in.
Think Tom Hanks Saturday Night Live Black Jeopardy: "Skinny women can do this for you?"
"Not a damn thing!"

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Not with your eyes.
How early/ late do you get hunt game in your area?
If I can see it without artificial light or electronic enhancement (no thermal, FLIR, or NODs), I can shoot it legally. I have had the scope out on starless nights miles away from artificial light and found the lowest setting to still be too low and no washout 2-3 settings higher.

The limitation is being able to identify legal animals.

For those who have used the reticle: is the 1.0 mil increments a hindrance? I find myself often using/needing the 0.5 increments on my mavens. Often bracketing the vitals between 0.5 and 1.0 mils for instance, when the exact hold is somewhat uncertain but i have a fairly good idea of where it’ll fall between.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
For those who have used the reticle: is the 1.0 mil increments a hindrance?

No, not on game animals. Your brain/eye interpolates between the two known points. If you need .7 mils, you hold where .7 mils would be. Same as you would do with a .5 mil graduated reticle.

Macintosh

WKR
@willfrye027 I tried this for a while. It worked well for me (pretty ideal actually) at 200-350 yards, but I found I wasnt able to make hits as consistently, that I WAS making when dialing, past that range. Some may be in my head, it worked better on a range than in the field, but aiming to improve my field shooting in that 300-600 yard range I wasnt happy with it and had the turret installed as a result.

@willfrye027 I tried this for a while. It worked well for me (pretty ideal actually) at 200-350 yards, but I found I wasnt able to make hits as consistently, that I WAS making when dialing, past that range. Some may be in my head, it worked better on a range than in the field, but aiming to improve my field shooting in that 300-600 yard range I wasnt happy with it and had the turret installed as a result.
I’m talking wind holds..definitely would get the version with a turret for dialing elevation 👍🏻