S&B 3-12x42 Klassik for hunting

z987k

WKR
Thanks for your input, all of that's true I just figured it would be fun to shoot some steel and be able to use mildots ect for fun at longer ranges. Realistically any scope is fine for the hunting anyways, I shot a bear a couple weeks back just using iron sights with my r92 .357 Rossi at 25 yards, the furthest I see deer on my hunts is 100 yards like I said, a 4x is plenty. Just figured I'd try out a high end scope. There's probably no real right or wrong answer and I will take a look at the options when I am off midnights.
If you just want one, get it. The klassic is on my really short list as well. I'm considering it to replace a scope I have now.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The Klassik is a great scope, it's only downfall is limited turret travel to 4.8 mils, and limited total internal travel making a 20 MOA rail unusable. Neither of those should be problems for you.

At double the price, a FFB 3-12x54 with P4FL reticle would be better at night, but the 3-12x42 Klassik is already great at night.

arrow179

WKR
He's hunting at 200 yards tops("most likely 100") and seems to place and emphasis on low light use. He doesn't need more than a duplex reticle, let alone FFP. Although the 3-12 Polar does have ffp and a mil reticle available.
He should be sighting for mpbr or even just at 200y and if the wind is over 40mph where you actually need to hold for wind at that distance, maybe don't hunt that day, it's not going to be much fun anyways.

A fixed 4x or 6x with a duplex and a very large objective for light would be what I'd suggest if it still existed.
He could pick up one of those older steel tubed s&b 6x scopes on ebay for like $350 and it'd work great.
Yep I went back and re-read how he is planning to use the scope. I would have a hard time justifying $1700 on a scope for his application but hey if you’ve got the cash and want it then go for it!

I agree that a 4 or 6 fixed power with a larger objective would be more than sufficient.

gearguywb

WKR
You have a ton of options for your stated goals.

Things change dramatically when you start stretching the distance.

For a couple hundred yards the SB would be great (certainly a bit of overkill given the distances). I would grab a couple of them, but as I tend to use them at longer ranges, the fixed 100 yard parallax is a non-starter for me.

amassi

WKR
You have a ton of options for your stated goals.

Things change dramatically when you start stretching the distance.

For a couple hundred yards the SB would be great (certainly a bit of overkill given the distances). I would grab a couple of them, but as I tend to use them at longer ranges, the fixed 100 yard parallax is a non-starter for me.

S&B USA will adjust that parallax to whatever distance you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
At absolute worst, at 700 yards parallax error on the Klassik is less than 0.2 mils, that is if you have maximum scope shadow with still being able to see the reticle. That is 5 inches of error at 700 yards.

First, who takes a shot with maximum offset, just get close to centered. If you cannot get centered, you certainly shouldn't be shooting animals at range.

Second, most people cannot call wind well enough for it to matter, particularly if they would pull the trigger with massive scope shadow.

Edited: I was off, double the error given for worst case scenario. Have S&B set the parallax to 250 yards and the error at 700 shrinks to 0.06 mils (0.12 mils with worst image possible), which truly is meaningless.

Last edited:

arrow179

WKR
Pretty tempted to try one of these on a lightweight gun and trade it out for the maven rs 1.2
Highly recommend it! I’m tempted to grab another one just as a spare in case price goes back up. $960 at eurooptic and MSRP is around $1700. Looks like they are currently out of stock…