RV’s are the topic.

does any one own a Motorhome RV? If yes do you use it on hunting trips, family adventures, football games or all the above. I drive to North Dakota about every year. Sometimes Nebraska and or Wyoming. The only down fall is the drive. My family wont drive that far and I get so stowed up with pack problems I struggle to make it. Once I’m there and get to moving a lot im fine. So my Thoughts where buy a nice motorhome and tow a truck behind it. Also save on hotels etc. I’m also super hesitant thinking the dang thing will just break down and suck gas. But then again my tundra got 7 mpg pulling my enclosed trailer for 4100 miles on the last trip.
would love some real world experience.

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
it would be pretty convenient to just pull over and spend the night. Maybe a slide in pickup bed camper? I had one and it was very convenient...better than a pull behind camper. Do it right and you can pull a trailer..

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
does any one own a Motorhome RV? If yes do you use it on hunting trips, family adventures, football games or all the above. I drive to North Dakota about every year. Sometimes Nebraska and or Wyoming. The only down fall is the drive. I get so stowed up with pack problems I struggle to make it. Once I’m there and get to moving a lot im fine. So my Thoughts where buy a nice motorhome and tow a truck behind it. Also save on hotels etc. I’m also super hesitant thinking the dang thing will just break down and suck gas. But then again my tundra got 7 mpg pulling my enclosed trailer for 4100 miles on the last trip.
would love some real world experience.
Set up your enclosed trailer for partial living quarters?
Search "cargo trailer conversion" on YouTube

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk

There's nothing thrifty or convenient about RVs of any type. Hotels/car or just fly in.

Rent an RV if you're curious. If you net out positive in experience then look into buying. The RV industry is about to pop so buying right now is about the worst time in our lifetimes to buy in...

ToolMann

WKR
We've had a Lance trailer for almost 5 years now. Been great. My wife wants a motorhome but I'm really wanting a truck bed camper. First world problems for sure. We'll see what the next few years brings.

jimh406

WKR
You won't save enough money to pay for the fuel difference. I've had a Class A, Travel Trailer, and Truck Camper. You should consider just staying in hotels. However, we did long trips with kids for a few years with a Class A. It probably wasn't "safe", but kids sure enjoyed playing console games in the back bedroom.

Maybe look at the sprinter vans. If your handy you could buy a bare one and build it out.

Motor homes are stupid expensive. Your driving a house down the road. And they lose value like a manufactured home.

I don’t know the answer.
We have a camp trailer and diesel now. It’s as much a compromise as anything.

hunt1up

WKR
There's absolutley no way a motor home will ever be more cost effective than just stopping at a hotel.

Insurance, tax/title/license, maintenance, stocking it with stuff, and depreciation are going to kill you.

You've got to really like the RV life to ever justify it dollar-wise.

Granted, I have a travel trailer and not an RV. So slightly different experience.

We love it, it's been great for what we wanted. Had it a little over a year. Bought it as the market as going up, don't have a payment on it.

Antelope camp was still in a tent, quail camp will be in a tent, deer camp will be in a tent.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
FYI Slightly off topic but you can now get a RV, Travel Trailer, or other things of the sorts for a 30 year fixed Loan just like you get for your home. Found that out when we went and got our toy hauler a few months ago.

FYI Slightly off topic but you can now get a RV, Travel Trailer, or other things of the sorts for a 30 year fixed Loan just like you get for your home. Found that out when we went and got our toy hauler a few months ago.

Oh wow I'm sure that will be used responsibly by the industry!

I love having a travel trailer for camping and hunting, but I have no desire to haul it around the country just for family vacations. Doubles the fuel bill, RV parks charge almost what cheap hotels do, and your ease of getting around/stopping for food/fuel disappears.

I estimate that a family road trip cost would double by taking my TT. Easily. And we couldn't do everything we want. Almost zero upside other than the kids vegging out. The backseat of my truck is fine for them.

KBC

WKR
We have a travel trailer. Bought it for a trip to Alaska and camping with the family. We used to tent camp even when the youngest was 6 months old so we are no strangers to roughing it.
The TT makes camping with kids so much easier. Sometimes you just need to hose them off in the shower or if one of them gets sick you can still stay. In a tent you are packing up.
The problem now is the oldest is in too many activities to use it most of the year and all the close campsites are booked up so we can’t even get a spot and still be able to run him in for hockey games. This year the cost of fuel would have been too much for the annual week long trip at the closest site we could reserve so we did other things. We had talked about a trip from BC to South Dakota to visit my sister next summer and camping along the way but it would be cheaper to just burn down without it and stay in hotels a couple nights.
If you have a vehicle to tow it, a travel trailer is way better than a motor home. Not sure what your insurance costs where you are but my trailer insurance is about $160 a year. Any vehicle is a lot more.
Do you know any vehicles that sit most of the year and don’t have mechanical issues? If you are even a little handy you can grease your wheel bearings and keep the roof sealed on a trailer.

But man gas is getting expensive…