Rusted Rifle

TheCreeds

FNG
So my brother runs a swamp cooler in his house. His howa in the closet got really rusted over the summer. I have doused it in CLP to try and stop the rust. I don't fully know the cerakote process. Can the action be sandblasted to clean up all the rust before the cerakote is applied?

RobertLosekamp

Lil-Rokslider
They should blast everything beforehand so the cerakote has plenty of "grip" onto the steel

mb6355

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, like mentioned above that is one of the steps. Degrease it (soak in acetone) then blast it and soak again before applying the cerakote.

Vern400

WKR
No talk about rust in the bore? You might want to borescope it, and shoot it to make sure you still got a rifle left. It's the inside that matters. You could remove the rust and rattle can it. Not so on the important parts..... A lot of barrels die that way.

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
If you haven’t scrubbed on the rust yet stripping it down and boiling or steaming is always an option. Mark Novak/ Anvil has some good videos on YouTube about converting rust back to blue. Won’t be as pretty as original depending on how deep pits were but common practice on milsurps. I have a browning bps I need to do this too just haven’t gotten the time to work on it yet.