Rush to get rifle/scope/rings set up

OP
Vitals

Vitals

WKR
So it turned out that my rifle was such an older model that they did not have any other rings that would work for it other than the same Weaver style rings. So I got new ones out on, and this time they are medium height instead of the high height that was on their originally. The bolt still has room and everything is fine and am told getting the scope as close to the barrel is best so this should be a slight improvement. Currently cleaning the rifle and going to sight it in tomorrow AM. If I am unable to get good groups, I will look at getting the rifle bedded and a trigger job in the off season.

OP
Vitals

Vitals

WKR
The older gentleman who knew his stuff encouraged me to save my money and stock with the scope I have being that it is a good older leupold with good glass. I feel comfortable with it and would probably be better served putting that money into a trigger etc.

some good advice. also your experience shows the need for backup rifle. always take two to the hunt camp kind of like insurance if you have it will never need it.....

Shrek

WKR
Or you may need it ! I have needed my backup rifle before , slipped and fell in the dark walking to my stand and smashed the scope . Luckily I wasn't 20 yards from the truck and simply walked over and opened the other side and got my backup. It was a long sit thinking about my nearly new Leopold vari x II smashed to bits.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
On my dads utah le hunt his bolt handle got damaged and we had brought my rifle as backup. I hadnt used it in a few years because of bowhunting anyway it was missing a scope mount screw. Luckly we both had old weaver mounts and just used one of his. Moral of the story if you bring a backup make sure its ready to go also. Oh yea get high quality rings my rifle now sports talleys with loc tite screws

Or you may need it ! I have needed my backup rifle before , slipped and fell in the dark walking to my stand and smashed the scope . Luckily I wasn't 20 yards from the truck and simply walked over and opened the other side and got my backup. It was a long sit thinking about my nearly new Leopold vari x II smashed to bits.

a friend in fl is leupold dealer and told me he sold one to a guy who took it out west and proceeded to drop it down a small mountain which cleanly broke the scope into. sent back to leupold and received a new scope....worth a try

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
a friend in fl is leupold dealer and told me he sold one to a guy who took it out west and proceeded to drop it down a small mountain which cleanly broke the scope into. sent back to leupold and received a new scope....worth a try

x2 on this.

I have a similar story. My uncle was running a rotary mower behind a tractor. He had his 223 with a 3-9 Leupold on the tractor with him for shooting coyotes. Well he went up a hill and the gun fell off and got mangled by the mower. Just to see what would happen, we sent a letter explaining what happened, along with the scope to Leupold. Sure enough, they sent a brand new scope back. Maybe they had a good laugh and felt sorry! On a side note, there were too many pieces of the rifle to send back to Ruger, haha!

Some people are not fans of Leupold, and to each, their own, but after this ordeal, I was really impressed with Leupold's customer service. A Leupold sits on top of each of my rifles.

Shrek

WKR
Ha ha , that was close to twenty years ago ! Lol. Notice I said my nearly new vari x II not vx II . They had just come out when that happened. I think it was replaced by my sales rep as I was running a fishing tackle and marine suppy store back then.