Running an Arca Rail on Your Rifle

Run the Arca Rail

• Worth it!

Votes: 23 95.8%
  • Keep the rifle naked

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
I have a factory Browning X-Bolt and am considering running a Henderson Precision Arca plate on the stock to mount to a tripod I use for glassing. For those that have this setup, do you like it?

Want to get some feedback before I go drilling holes in the factory carbon fiber stock. The rail extends a little wider than the stock on each side. Plan is to mount it as close to the magwell as possible to center the weight on the tripod. Makes it a bit bulky/clunky for my hands when gripping at the plate but there is plenty of room in front of the plate for my offhand when shooting and I can carry the rifle by the magwell (behind the rail) comfortably.

Been using trigger sticks to shoot off for years and looking at other options for backpack hunts where I leave the trigger sticks at home. Arca/tripod being one option and quick-stix being another. Thanks for any advice/direction!

Geewhiz

WKR
Its about a 2 oz weight penalty so try it and see if you like it. I put one on my rifle since I sometimes carry my tripod with me, never really needed it but if I ever do it would probably be worth the 2 oz.

I agree. If you carry a tripod for glassing, might as well take advantage of it for shooting. Even a small tripod up front helps with stability. By using crossed trekking pole to support the stock, you're even more solid when shooting over foliage like sage brush or grass.

OP
W
Its about a 2 oz weight penalty so try it and see if you like it. I put one on my rifle since I sometimes carry my tripod with me, never really needed it but if I ever do it would probably be worth the 2 oz.
Weight doesn't bother me so much. It's more the ergonomics with the plate installed. And once I drill holes in the stock, there is no going back. Do you notice the rail at all when handling your rifle? Just test fitting the 3" rail piece up to the stock I have, it protrudes a little on each side. Again, I can grip the rifle in front of or behind the rail section if needed. Thank you for your help.

Geewhiz

WKR
Weight doesn't bother me so much. It's more the ergonomics with the plate installed. And once I drill holes in the stock, there is no going back. Do you notice the rail at all when handling your rifle? Just test fitting the 3" rail piece up to the stock I have, it protrudes a little on each side. Again, I can grip the rifle in front of or behind the rail section if needed. Thank you for your help.
I do notice it for sure, but I wouldn't say that it has negatively affected anything. I believe mine is a 2 inch rail and it does protrude out each side a little as you describe, but again that doesn't bother me,. Yet at least. I just kinda figured I would deal with it and in the event that I find myself needing to shoot off a tripod it would make it all worth it.

Encore4me

FNG
95209585135742253a0cf787aac0ac87.jpg

Mine came with one on the McMillan stock I ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atmat

WKR
I tried an arca in front of mag plate, and I hated the ergonomics.

Hand carrying the rifle sucked, as did shooting off anything else other than a tripod, as it would catch on things.

If it’s not bedded/near flush, Iwouldnt be interested.

If anything, try a recessed spartan with arca adaptor.

OP
W
95209585135742253a0cf787aac0ac87.jpg

Mine came with one on the McMillan stock I ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you fan of it? Use that mount option often? Ever find it to "be in the way"? Pretty sure I have the same tripod btw. Nice Tikka.

Macintosh

WKR
I have a couple. Ive used them, but for most of my hunting Im not carrying a tripod so I pull it off because it definitely affects carrying. For what its worth some arca rails are significantly higher profile than others. My SRS arca is 3/8” thick, versus the other rail I have is slightly less than 3/16”—the difference in hand is very noticeable and I have not been able to tell any difference in stability.

Also, you can just get a couple stanless round-headed screws with the same thread as the arca screws, and when you pull it off you have something to plug the holes. It looks finished and doesnt catch on anything.

IMG_4991.jpeg

OP
W
I have a couple. Ive used them, but for most of my hunting Im not carrying a tripod so I pull it off because it definitely affects carrying. For what its worth some arca rails are significantly higher profile than others. My SRS arca is 3/8” thick, versus the other rail I have is slightly less than 3/16”—the difference in hand is very noticeable and I have not been able to tell any difference in stability.

Also, you can just get a couple stanless round-headed screws with the same thread as the arca screws, and when you pull it off you have something to plug the holes. It looks finished and doesnt catch on anything.

View attachment 754768

I like that idea. Options are always nice. And I would only be running the tripod when out west when I'm doing a lot of glassing. Here at home, not so much. The Henderson I bought is pretty low profile and weighs 1 oz. Thank you for the insight!

Last edited:
All of my rifles have full length ARCA rails. My bipod attaches to the rail (and can be positioned anywhere on it) and so does my tripod.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Get the Salmon River Solutions Arca balance in front of the action screw. I have that as well as a mini arca on my Havak Element and I'm rock solid with a bipod or locked into a tripod.

waspocrew

WKR
I have a few rifles with them (mainly 4" rails near magwell) and think they are fine. The full length does make carrying it in your hands a little uncomfortable though.

I mostly use the ARCA when night hunting with thermal. Otherwise, I don't use the tripod much for shooting. 95% of the time, when field shooting, it's prone with the bipod up front, unless vegetation and/or terrain won't allow.

Duh

WKR
I’m trying something new on my Seekins this year. Mainly because I’ll use it to shoot coyotes too. Have a light Odin works a little in front of the mag well and just put on a salmon river solutions rail up front so I can use my accutac bipod and the tripod up front if I want. I don’t have an issue with carrying it or having it ride in my gun barer.

Attachments

• IMG_7802.jpeg
    IMG_7802.jpeg
    274.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7803.jpeg
    IMG_7803.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 25

grunt1

FNG
On my chassis rifle I sometimes mount a small bag to the rail. The rifle will set on top of , a tree limb, top of a tripod, fence rail, stump etc. Got the idea from the PRS guys. Hand carry isn't this guns strength. Trade offs need to be considered.

Cynoscion

WKR
I put ARCA plates on every rifle I own. Attached are pics of a few. These are both SRS and Henderson ARCA rails. I don’t always shoot locked into my tripod but it’s nice to have the option when I want to.
I also run a “tac table”/bag combo. The one in the pic is from LS Wild/Thunderbird Long Range. It is filled with GitLite and weighs next to nothing. It is a really good option and extremely stable as well.
I like options so that I am prepared for any hunt and/or situation they may come up.

Attachments

• 4207C1AD-C030-4F04-B76B-9091E9161709.jpeg
    4207C1AD-C030-4F04-B76B-9091E9161709.jpeg
    431.2 KB · Views: 30
  • B07D49D0-FA9B-4907-A0EA-E7C1EE6C2460.jpeg
    B07D49D0-FA9B-4907-A0EA-E7C1EE6C2460.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 30
OP
W

View attachment 754768

Thanks for the advice! As for mounting these. Is there any special cautions I need to take to drill through carbon fiber? Or, just mark it, tape it and go for it? The kit came with t-nuts. Figured I could drill the hole with a forstner bit and also recess the inside to make room for the t-nut head. Anything I need to look out for?

Cynoscion

WKR
Here’s a link to a video I found pretty helpful the first time I installed t-nuts in a rifle stock.

The only thing I do different is to top off the recessed hole with a little 2 part epoxy like JB Weld. Probably not necessary but in my mind it adds back the rigidity I just took out drilling the holes. See attached photo and then the one of the rifle locked into the tripod.

Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_4024.jpeg
    IMG_4024.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4028.jpeg
    IMG_4028.jpeg
    353.4 KB · Views: 13