Ruger American

What are your thoughts on the Ruger American? Seems like the complaints have always been a flimsy stock, rough machining, and bad magazines. I went to Scheels today and handled one and I have to say I was impressed. The stock must've been stiffened in the past couple of years, because this is not the "noodle" stock that I remember handling several years back. And for the first time, the bolt on the Ruger didn't sound like a loud zipper while running it. There were no obvious machining marks on the bolt. It was a predator model with an AICS magazine, so I suppose that fixes the old issue with the crummy rotary mags.

Long story short, I very nearly walked out with a Ruger American. I hear the accuracy is excellent. Are there any issues I should be aware of? As blasphemous as it might sound here on Rokslide, the Ruger felt almost as nice in my hands as the Tikkas I've owned.
Damn accurate rifles. Other than that, they are pretty pedestrian, but better looking IMO than the Savage Axis which I think is hideous (but also known for it's accuracy). I would have to say the American has the worst factory stock of any rifle I've ever handled. I also don't care for their delicate matte finish on their "stainless" models. You can leave a mark on it with your thumbnail if you try very hard.

I've had many nice rifles, always with an eye for fine wood and fine craftmanship. In my old age I have learned many things. One is that beauty matters little if the rifle don't put the bullet where you want it consistently. The previous "best shooting" rifle I have is a Remington 788 that I bought new in 1968 for $67. Now it is the Ruger Predator. You can sure spend more, but will be hard to get one that will shoot better. I spend that extra money on ammunition and use it to get better.

Mags on Gen 1 suck. Junk and $45 to replace

Noisy (corduroy) actions. 7-8/10 for fit and finish

DIY trigger job is worth the effort

DIY sanding of any touching forward of the action is worth it.

Have 3- 204,6CR and 6.5cr. Would love a 300wm Go wild.

Have a bunch nicer guns. Not many that outshoot them- legit 1/2-3/4
Moa guns and have taken the 6&6.5 to 650

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you replace the mags with something better or are you saying $45 for a replacement rotary mag?

Thanks!!

Did you replace the mags with something better or are you saying $45 for a replacement rotary mag?

Thanks!!

Nope that’s $45 for the factory pos through a dealer.

Reactions: BCD
OK. Got new rifle in from Ruger. Cleaned it and got it all ready. Tested with 4 rounds in the magazine. Fed all 4 rounds fine. Had to "unstretch" the springs in my other mags to get them to feed 4 rounds. Apparently, the problem was the feed ramp on the receiver and not the magazines. Now to see if this new one shoots as good as the first one.

Funny I just came across this thread now. I live in PA and up until now our “Special Regulations” areas were limited to slug guns. A few weeks ago they finally passed straight wall cartridges so I ordered a 450 bushmaster ruger american ranch rifle last week.

Long story short I just got the rifle today and was attempting to clean the gallon of grease off of everything that Ruger coats on from the factory. While I had it apart I figured I would adjust the trigger and noticed there is no set screw at all for the trigger spring adjustment and also no trigger spring! I then look in the box for the magazine and they never included a magazine either.

I get that these are inexpensive guns but how does it pass QC without a trigger spring?? I emailed Ruger tonight and hope they get back ro me quick. This might be the last Ruger I buy at this point.

I picked up the Ruger Go Wild in 6.5 a few weeks ago to semi-replace my very accurate, but very heavy Savage in 6.5.
Due to difficulty in finding 6.5 ammo for these rifles I’ve only had the Ruger out once with my limited 6.5 supply. But it shot fantastic, in my opinion. I can’t wait to get it out a few more times. I had been eyeing it for the last year and half thinking I could pick one up on sale sometime. Finally just bit the bullet and it cost me 50 bucks more than if I would of just picked it up at its original price. Win some. Lose some. At least I got one now. 😁

I had a ranch version in 300 BLK out that would shoot .75 at 100 with factory ammo. Shot a 450 BM that did an inch at 100 with Hornady ammo. Shot the .223 ranch at 500 yards and tried a few different types of ammo but found some black hills that would shoot a 3” group at 500 yards. And shot the ranch version 7.62x39 it didn’t shoot that well with steel ammo but was fun to mess around with. And could hit milk jugs at 350 consistently with it.

Talking about the black grease. This is no joke. I am still at it. Hoppe's wont cut it. Trying WD40 to thin it down now.
My first one would shoot 1/2 to 3/4 MOA all day long. I was shooting out to 600 yds. Hope this one is as accurate.

This is a 3 shot group from an unmodified plastic stocked ruger american in 350 legend at 125 yards. Ammo was winchester white box 145 grain. I know several people who have them, and I get to shoot a variety of different calibers- I've yet to see one that didn't perform. Not saying that there aren't exceptions, but from what I've seen these rifles are a bargain, even with the tool marks and other blemishes that seem to be prevalent.

Attachments

• 20191109_152618.jpg
    20191109_152618.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 32
I bought one in 350 Legend. Even w the ranch 16 inch barrel, it is one tight shooting gun - 1/2 inch (outside to outside) at 100 yds and 1 inch (outside to outside) at 225 yards with a .355 bullet. LOL! (home loads - those factory 145s shoot good too tho.)

You shouldn't regret buying one.

Last edited:
I bought one in a .308 three years ago, because the ammo was easy to come by. The first thing I did was put a Boyd stock on it and now its one of my favorite guns!

Funny I just came across this thread now. I live in PA and up until now our “Special Regulations” areas were limited to slug guns. A few weeks ago they finally passed straight wall cartridges so I ordered a 450 bushmaster ruger american ranch rifle last week.

Long story short I just got the rifle today and was attempting to clean the gallon of grease off of everything that Ruger coats on from the factory. While I had it apart I figured I would adjust the trigger and noticed there is no set screw at all for the trigger spring adjustment and also no trigger spring! I then look in the box for the magazine and they never included a magazine either.

I get that these are inexpensive guns but how does it pass QC without a trigger spring?? I emailed Ruger tonight and hope they get back ro me quick. This might be the last Ruger I buy at this point.
Just a quick update to my previous post. I contacted Ruger and they delivered all missing parts within a week. I also put in a MCarbo trigger spring and it made the trigger pull so much nicer then factory.

I also mounted a 2-7 Leupy on it that I had laying around and took it out to the range. I only had some Hornady black ammo to try but man does this thing shoot! Only put around 15 rounds through it, but my last 5 shot group was under an inch at 100. Think I might try the 6mm Creed Predator model next.

Just ordered a Go Wild in 7mm-08. It’s has a bit faster (1:8.5) twist of the commercial ones on the lower end of the price scale. Going to be trying some 145 LRX in it.

Have they released any new calibers for 22?

I bought a Predator in CM for my Wife as a sparer/back up rifle to her 6.5x55. The forearm was touching the barrel on one side. I worked it down with a rasp and adjusted the trigger, it took about an hour and that is all I did. It shoots several factory loads 3/4"-1" and the better handloads 1/2"-3/4".

Being fortunate enough to have 4 teenagers deer hunting at once I needed some affordable rifles. We have two of them and they have both been outstanding. Zero quality control issues and both shoot sub moa with factory ammo.

Here are my results from the Ruger American Go Wild
Caliber: 7mm-08
Barrel: 22" with brake removed
Twist 1:8.5"
Bullet: Barnes 145gr LRX
B.C.: 0.486
COAL: 2.818
Brass: Lapua
Firing: 1st
Powder StaBALL6.5
Primer: CCI 200
Temp: 58-63F
Chrono: Magneto
Scope: Vortex Crossfire II
Rings: Pro Series 1 Inch Rings
Notes: Brass full sized with RCBS dies, cases chamfered and deburred prior to loading, neck dipped in Redding dry lube prior to seating. 48 and up powder was pretty compressed. 47+ had slightly flatter primers, but pressure signs were minimal even at 49. Hodgdon max for 145 SBT is 51.0c.

100 yds

IMG_8575.jpg

ChargeExpected Velocity QLExpected Velocity HodgdonChrono Vel1

Back