Ruger American

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
What are your thoughts on the Ruger American? Seems like the complaints have always been a flimsy stock, rough machining, and bad magazines. I went to Scheels today and handled one and I have to say I was impressed. The stock must've been stiffened in the past couple of years, because this is not the "noodle" stock that I remember handling several years back. And for the first time, the bolt on the Ruger didn't sound like a loud zipper while running it. There were no obvious machining marks on the bolt. It was a predator model with an AICS magazine, so I suppose that fixes the old issue with the crummy rotary mags.

Long story short, I very nearly walked out with a Ruger American. I hear the accuracy is excellent. Are there any issues I should be aware of? As blasphemous as it might sound here on Rokslide, the Ruger felt almost as nice in my hands as the Tikkas I've owned.

There's nothing fancy about them, my son shoots one in .308 and its fine. Good budget option that typically shoots good enough, occasionally very well. Worth the price in my experience.

homers

WKR
They did improve the stock and fixed the magazine issue. Hard to beat for the money.

I've recommended two of my friends who are new hunters buy the Ruger Americans.
These guns have some fit and finish issues but for the price, you won't find a better shooter if buying new.

I agree with nettereon16, If you can get it new, a really good rifle for the price. HOWEVER, if you are buying a used one, check to make sure 'Bubba' has not tried to accurize it. Might be a very good reason 'he' is trying to sell it.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Mine shoots anything well, and hand loads lights out. I did have a feeding issue where the case to feed ramp contact wasn't good enough to pop the case up into the chamber before the tip of the bullet would hit the back of the barrel. Sent it to Ruger and it "passed" their inspection, but it was worse with long VLD loads. Ended up shimming the front of the bottom (plastic) down about .040" and gave the case a little more contact with the feed ramp, she feeds like a dream now. Honestly still one of my favorite rifles.

I have a couple still factory (6.5 grendel and 6.5 manbun) and they both shoot under 1", hard to beat for the price. I always recommend them for a standard hunting rifle, ok stock, decent trigger, accurate and have a threaded barrel.

Phineas

FNG
I have a Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39. It shoots steel cased Russian ammo inside an inch at a 100 yards. I was floored.
I have had other Ruger rifles that had to go back to the factory for issues, but that one is a keeper.

eddiewiggles

FNG
Classified Approved
I got my wife one for her first deer rifle. She wanted camo so I got her the Go Wild camo edition that comes with the muzzle brake as well. She loves it and it shoots great so we’re both happy. It won’t get shot near as much as some of my other rifles but my complaints would have to be the bolt not being very smooth (yet) and the magazine. I anticipate the bolt smoothing up on its own, and the magazine on the go wild rifle sticks out a little bit, and I don’t think the normal Americans are like that. But for what it’ll be used for, it’s great. It’s a 6.5 creedmoor and shot factory 120 TTSX about 3/4 inch. Last time we shot it I told my wife to shoot a 3 shot group with federal non typical and it was a ragged hole. One of the better groups I’ve ever seen from such a cheap rifle/scope/ammo combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
a0242bd34decfd0ef9fb0a801015d9db.jpg

czyolman

FNG
Reports are Ruger has stiffened the forearm & changed the standard magazine for an improvement.

And, some models are offered with a detachable AI type mag that feeds nicely, but even in the 3 round version it does protrude from the bottom of the gun a bit.

11boo

WKR
Mine is amazingly accurate for a cheap gun. Trigger group looks like pot metal, but works and has a decent trigger.
Did I say cheap? 379.00 a couple years back.

A9A9AD52-DAD0-44D0-9D1E-83F511A5D6F2.jpeg

11boo

WKR
My only issue has been with mags. They work well, however the factory 3 rd fully loaded cannot be seated on a closed bolt.
The magpul 5 rd need to be seated on a closed bolt, or carefully on an open bolt. If you stick the magpul mag in too far they are going to keep the bolt from closing and take two hands to get out.

gjs4

Lil-Rokslider
Mags on Gen 1 suck. Junk and $45 to replace

Noisy (corduroy) actions. 7-8/10 for fit and finish

DIY trigger job is worth the effort

DIY sanding of any touching forward of the action is worth it.

Have 3- 204,6CR and 6.5cr. Would love a 300wm Go wild.

Have a bunch nicer guns. Not many that outshoot them- legit 1/2-3/4
Moa guns and have taken the 6&6.5 to 650

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I do not own one, but have shot them. My friend owns one in 7mm 08 and the groups he shoots with it at 100 yards are very impressive. I could not duplicate those results. I am used to having a nice trigger on my rifles and this one is terrible. As mentioned above, very good rifle for the price. If I had one, I would replace the trigger.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a used one from a member here. It may be the most accurate rifle I own as well.
d0d193a836e44953ec2f812b257089bf.jpg
I would like to see a pic of this elk antler without the rifle. I have a few I need something to do with other than lean against the wall and I like this idea.