Ruger American Trigger/Upgrades/Mods.

Dr. Zeus

FNG
Yeah I know I should have bought a Tikka, but I've had great results regarding accuracy of Ruger American per it's price point that I can justify saving a couple hundred dollars to throw towards a new scope. I have a Ruger American Predator chambered in 22-250. I have a Trijicon Credo 4-16x50 mounted with Vortex Pro Low rings. I will be mainly be using the rifle for coyote hunting/other varmint hunting.

I'm looking for an aftermarket trigger. I can not stand the gritty trigger. What are some aftermarket drop in triggers that are worth there value? FYI I have completely removed the trigger adjustment screw.

If you have an RAR, you are probably familiar with the zipper sound from operating the bolt. How did you fix it or did you just deal with it?

Are there any other modifications worth doing to these rifles that you would recommend? I know magpul makes an aftermarket stock but I'm not really concerned with the stock unless others can justify there recommendation. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

IdahoElk

WKR
I have a Timney on mine, nice and crisp. Great gun for the price!

GOaXmut.jpg

I have just dropped a MCARBO spring in both of mine and helped the trigger immensely. In regards to the bolt, put a bit of JB Bore paste on it and work it a few hundred times. Clean it off and you should be good to go.

robtattoo

WKR
Third? Fourth? Vote for a Timney. First one i ever bought was to go in my American & it had TOTALLY changed my mind on the things. Worth every penny & literally chopped my group sizes in half.
SWFA 6x in Monstrum rings on a Monstrum rail. Cheap, but rock solid combo.

20220318_141633.jpg

OP
Dr. Zeus

Dr. Zeus

FNG
I have just dropped a MCARBO spring in both of mine and helped the trigger immensely. In regards to the bolt, put a bit of JB Bore paste on it and work it a few hundred times. Clean it off and you should be good to go.
I have some mothers mag polish, you think that would work?

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

BLJ

WKR
Dremel and polish on the trigger will help a lot. It doesn’t eliminate the creep, but makes it smoother to pull through.
I cut the spring a quarter coil at a time until I got it to where I wanted it. Then I still had use of the adjustment screw. As far as triggers go.

Not knocking the Timney, just a cheaper option.

Zipper sound started to go away after 300-400 rounds.

I also added vertical grips and cheek risers to my factory stocks. Made a big difference in comfort for me.

The Magpul isn’t a bad option. It was just a little heavier than I wanted for my rifles.

BLJ

WKR
A couple pictures of mine. First one is the Ranch 5.56. Second in the Predator 6.5 Creedmoor.

Attachments

• DD2F578E-A497-45FE-90A0-F2587559DD01.jpeg
    DD2F578E-A497-45FE-90A0-F2587559DD01.jpeg
    443.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 4D5A8C03-C864-49F5-9C54-D042A9F53D7D.jpeg
    4D5A8C03-C864-49F5-9C54-D042A9F53D7D.jpeg
    709.4 KB · Views: 163

IdahoElk

WKR
Wow, so you machined the round bolt knob down? I’m impressed!

Is that barrel the predator contour or the standard barrel profile?
I made that knob on my drill press from aluminum stock, standard barrel cut to 17" then fluted.
Also took material out of the receiver, fluted bolt.
I was bored when I built this chasing ounces.

Loper

WKR
I made that knob on my drill press from aluminum stock, standard barrel cut to 17" then fluted.
Also took material out of the receiver, fluted bolt.
I was bored when I built this chasing ounces.

I really like this. How much does the bare rifle weigh? Did you consider threading it? How do you like it?

Loper

WKR
A couple pictures of mine. First one is the Ranch 5.56. Second in the Predator 6.5 Creedmoor.

What material did you use to build up the stock around the grip? Does it add a lot of weight?