Ruger American Predator or Howa KRG?

Looking at a 6mm creedmoor for my daughters. I've priced out a donor semi-custom Ruger American Predator and KRG Bravo with AICS mag for around $1,000. However, Howa sells a complete "Howa Bravo" in 6mm creed for more or less the same price ($1,009).

I have a Ruger American in .308 and don't have any issues with the action or accuracy. However, I have no experience with Howa rifles. This will likely be a low round count rifle, so looking for first hand side-by-side experience with folk about which action/barrel/accuracy is better for the same price.

Ruger- 22" threaded barrel
Howa- 24" threaded barrel

With rings and SWFA 6x42, the Ruger comes in at $1465 and the Howa is $1477. Granted the Ruger will require a tiny amount of extra work swapping stocks, but that's no biggy.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

nobody

WKR
I burned up a barrel on a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creed. It was accurate and put multiple offerings of anything above 130 grain into nice little groups with boring accuracy, even crappy factory Barnes LRX loadings.

That said, other than it's accuracy, it left a lot to be desired. The Howa is a superior rifle without a doubt. Much better build, better trigger, better action, better in many many ways. There's lots of companies who will build full customs from them as well, so the aftermarket support between the two is a wash.

If it's a throwaway disposable toy, buy the Ruger.

If you want more of a lifetime investment piece, buy the Howa.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Just a thought. They dont have a 6mm CM in stock right now. But You can buy a Howa barreled action from brownells. Sometimes they sell for stupid cheap.

Right now a 6.5 creedmoor is $429. Another $400 for a new KRG, if a guy cant round up a used one. Hunt around a bit, and you might be able to put a rifle together, including glass for around $1k-$1100
I will keep an eye out on brownell's for sure. Thx for the head's up

grfox92

WKR
I’ve had great success with the Ruger American of different cartridges and configuration and I completely agree with the above. Half that is the limit. IMO.
I've heard this said many times, just curious if the gun shoots good why you would put a dollar amount on upgrading it?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

BLJ

WKR
@grfox92. Anything above around $500 (and I prefer less than that) and I’m getting into Tikka territory. I think that the Tikkas around $700 are a lot better value for the money. IMO.

That being said I’ve never had a single issue with the RA. And don’t really expect it either.

If I was going on the hunt of a lifetime I would not give a second thought about taking a Ruger American.

Apologies to the OP for the sidetrack. 😁

grfox92

WKR
@grfox92. Anything above around $500 (and I prefer less than that) and I’m getting into Tikka territory. I think that the Tikkas around $700 are a lot better value for the money. IMO.

That being said I’ve never had a single issue with the RA. And don’t really expect it either.

If I was going on the hunt of a lifetime I would not give a second thought about taking a Ruger American.

Apologies to the OP for the sidetrack.
I get that. I have a RAP in .308 and I refuse to put anything more expensive then an SWFA 6x on it down the road to replace the Fullfield that's on it now.

I guess I feel the same way and was just curious if I was missing something. A lot of Hyundais run real good for the first 100k haha.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
I get that. I have a RAP in .308 and I refuse to put anything more expensive then an SWFA 6x on it down the road to replace the Fullfield that's on it now.

I guess I feel the same way and was just curious if I was missing something. A lot of Hyundais run real good for the first 100k haha.

Whoa... Small world man... I have a Ruger American in .308 that I put in a Boyd's Prairie Hunter. I started with a Fullfield and upgraded to SWFA 3-15.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie

Apologies to the OP for the sidetrack. 😁
Tikka doesn't make a 6mm Creedmoor that I could find. If I went that route the donor rifle would be $200 more and the prefit another $400 or more. All in a much more expensive build for a rifle that won't get shot that often.

I took my RA .308 on my elk hunt of a lifetime and it delivered

No worries on sidetrack either. ;)

grfox92

WKR
Whoa... Small world man... I have a Ruger American in .308 that I put in a Boyd's Prairie Hunter. I started with a Fullfield and upgraded to SWFA 3-15.
What's the end weight of your rifle? I was looking at the Boyds Varmit stock with the virticle grip but Boyd's is terrible about listing weights.

Does the boyds have an aluminum v block to match the Ruger action?

BLJ

WKR
Tikka doesn't make a 6mm Creedmoor that I could find. If I went that route the donor rifle would be $200 more and the prefit another $400 or more. All in a much more expensive build for a rifle that won't get shot that often.

I took my RA .308 on my elk hunt of a lifetime and it delivered

No worries on sidetrack either. ;)

To clarify I was talking about a general comparison between the Tikka and Ruger American. That was my fault.

When Tikka offers a 6 Creed buy that one. 😁

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
What's the end weight of your rifle? I was looking at the Boyds Varmit stock with the virticle grip but Boyd's is terrible about listing weights.

Does the boyds have an aluminum v block to match the Ruger action?

With SWFA 3-15, rings (no rail), empty mag, Beartooth nylon cheek piece, and Limbsaver recoil pad, it weighs 9.1 pounds.

If I recall, it also came with the aluminum v-block, and I used the included epoxy kit to bed it in the stock. I also ordered my stock with the aluminum pillars and metal trigger guard upgrade. I'm not at all in love with the magazine catch design or function, and I may updgrade to the AICS kit at some point in the future.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
To clarify I was talking about a general comparison between the Tikka and Ruger American. That was my fault.

When Tikka offers a 6 Creed buy that one. 😁
To muddy the water, Bud's has a fast twist (1:8) .243 Tikka in stock for $749. Ugh...