Ruger American Gen 2 Standard vs Ranch

Hello Everyone,

I was curious to get peoples inputs on barrel length for these rifles, or barrel length in general for 6.5 and 6 creedmoor.

I am looking at a new potential rifle, and was looking at the ruger american gen 2, in either a 6 or 6.5 creedmoor eventually. (Everyone can save their opinions on the rifles, plenty of threads and forums with opinions on how it performs). What i am curious about, is they are offering the standard with a 20 inch barrel, and the ranch with a 16 inch barrel. I would be looking to supress this rifle in the near future, so I would like as short of barrel as possible. So I am looking from experience of people shooting either of these calibers in a 20 inch or 16 inch barrel. What are velocities like comparing the 2? I am not a reloader, so I would probably be using the Hornady EDLM factory ammunition in either gun.

AKG

FNG
Rifle shooter.com did some barrel length tests for both cartridges. A Google search of "creedmoor barrel length test" will get you to them. Your results will vary somewhat based on ammunition selection and specific rifle variations.

clperry

Lil-Rokslider
How far do you want to shoot game? I will run the numbers for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F
How far do you want to shoot game? I will run the numbers for you.

I found the table AKG referenced, and if I used that as a guideline, I think I’d getting roughly 2500 fps with Eldm factory out of the 16 inch barrel. That looks like I’d be good out to 600 yards, if I’m looking for that 1800 fps to get that expansion.

Am I right clperry or am I missing something?

I think 600 would be my max with lots and lots of practice, years from now

the handiness of the Ranch far outweighs the loss of velocity in the shorter barrel.....

IMG_1672.JPEG

clperry

Lil-Rokslider
I found the table AKG referenced, and if I used that as a guideline, I think I’d getting roughly 2500 fps with Eldm factory out of the 16 inch barrel. That looks like I’d be good out to 600 yards, if I’m looking for that 1800 fps to get that expansion.

Am I right clperry or am I missing something?

I think 600 would be my max with lots and lots of practice, years from now

What’s your elevation?

OP
F
the handiness of the Ranch far outweighs the loss of velocity in the shorter barrel.....

IMG_1672.JPEG

That’s what I’m thinking! I’m a backpack hunter so I’d like the handiness of it. Do you see any velocity pickup with using that suppressor with the 16 inch barrel versus without the suppressor?

clperry

Lil-Rokslider
I’m hunting anywhere from 2k to 7k in North Idaho

Yes. At an average elevation of 4500 ft, you have a 600 yd gun in a 16 inch 6.5 creedmoor shooting factory 140 eldm. The 6 creedmoor only comes in the standard with the 20 inch barrel. That gun shooting 108 eldm factory gets you to just shy of 800 yards.

OP
F
Yes. At an average elevation of 4500 ft, you have a 600 yd gun in a 16 inch 6.5 creedmoor shooting factory 140 eldm. The 6 creedmoor only comes in the standard with the 20 inch barrel. That gun shooting 108 eldm factory gets you to just shy of 800 yards.

thanks for the input! I didn't even realize the ranch didn't come in the 6 creedmoor. I was leaning towards the 6.5 anyway, but I think this is going to push me to the 6.5 for sure, in the ranch.