Ruger 10/22 Backpacker Takedown or .....

Been in the market recently to pick up a 22 rifle option on some kind for both small game hunting and cheap ammo acquisition. The one I think I have settled on is the Ruger 10/22 takedown Backpacker because of the function and portability. Does everyones experience reflect that they are as good as the standard 10/22s or do they have any performance issues from the extra components? also, is there any competitor you would suggest before I "pull the trigger"? (pun intended!).

n816kc

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got 10/22 backpacker. Nice little rifle. As long as I tension the barrel nut consistently it’s as accurate as my old regular 10/22. I have a Holosun solar red dot on it, fun little pinker. If I were buying again I think I’d get the regular TD with case. The BP is a bit of an odd shape when broken down and I usually have it in a bag of some sort anyway.
I did put a Volqusrtsen trigger in, a must do.

Last edited:
I didn’t go the full-size takedown route, I opted for the Charger takedown model. I read where several advised against a takedown due to accuracy issues, breaking down and reassembling it. I adjusted mine per Ruger’s instructions and haven’t experienced this. I’ve added a few accessories to make it easier to stuff in a bag. I went with a 1-4 lighted reticle scope that does what I need it to for now. I’ll look for some pictures.

Curhunter

FNG
Unless you specifically want a takedown rig, I'd recommend a Bergara BMR. Mine will easily do .5 groups at 50yds with cci mini mags. It's a short and light setup that's accurate. I prefer a bolt to semi auto to lessen jams and feed failures. If you want to go really light they're available with a carbon fiber barrel for an extra $100.

I have a 10-22 backpacker and really like it. Initially the rifle shot terrible. I sent it back to Ruger and they re-crowned the barrel. Shoots amazingly good now. I'm using the scout mount with a holosun 507. Initial bad experience but Ruger was great to deal with. One of my favorite fun shooting rifles.

I have a couple, really good little rifles. They shine with irons or non-magnified optics mounted over the barrel. Take a look at the TacSol Owyhee, its basically a bolt action 10/22 in a Backpacker stock.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
A Browning SA-22 is another option. I bought a '58 model in November but have not shot it yet, but that will change in a couple weeks. Plus, who wouldn't want to own one of the last firearms designed by JMB?

Introduced in 1914 and still in production today. Amazing.

I'd favor the Belgium or Japan made. They will be pricier than 10/22.

Good luck,

Eddie

Last edited:

Maki35

WKR
Portable takedown.. Henry AR-7 US Survival rifle.

The Ruger is nice. The Henry might be a little more compact.

Last edited: