Ruger #1 - Input Wanted

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
Hello Rokslide,
I just acquired a Ruger #1 .270 “B” 26” Barrel. I would love any first hand experience/pictures you have shooting, hunting, or using a #1 in the field. Any tips on expected accuracy or reloading will be appreciated as well.
Thanks!

NMDave

FNG
Hello Rokslide,
I just acquired a Ruger #1 .270 “B” 26” Barrel. I would love any first hand experience/pictures you have shooting, hunting, or using a #1 in the field. Any tips on expected accuracy or reloading will be appreciated as well.
Thanks!

NMDave

FNG
Hello KTM 450
Sorry for the duplication,
Ruger No 1 in 270 caught my eye.
It is my favorite, though recently purchased No 1 in 270 Wby.

I am a fan of Swift A as I hunt only in the west with elk being primary quarry.
My No 1 is pretty picky but i have had success, great success actually, with 140 gr Swift A, IMR4831 @ 54.8 gr. (11 elk so far). Saying one shot kills seems rhetorical since we’re talking single shot rifles :)

I just “resumed” reloading this past season and am anxious to hear/learn from other loaders for the Ruger No1 in 270 Win or 270 Wby

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Here's one of mine.

I enjoy shooting the 1A version with irons but I remove the front bead sight and install a blade and put an aperture in the rear.

I shoot mine standing and sitting unsupported at a piece of steel I have at 100 yards.

I usually load subsonic and transonic loads since I'm just working on the fundamentals and shooting steel.

I'm looking at having my 6.5 Creedmoor version reconfigured with a 1:7 barrel in 223.

This one in photo is 450 Marlin.

The only reloading feedback I can think of is that the 6.5 creedmoor chamber is short. The 450 Marlin chamber is LOOOOOOOOONG.

IMG_2286 (1).jpg

Scottgolf

FNG
I had a B in 270 just like yours. I hunted most of the eighties with it. It was an inch and a half gun with factory ammo. I killed three bull elk several mule deer and a black bear with it. The gun had beautiful wood and it’s definitely one I wished I had back!

OP
K

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks so much. I have been getting it dialed with 140 grain Bergers. Now I am just waiting for Ruger to get some offset rings back in stock. It’s hovering under an inch with careful work on my part.

Kyguy

FNG
#1's can be finicky and frustrating, but there really isn't a more classic looking hunting rifle to be had, at any price. I had a 1A in 7x57 for a few years, over 25 years ago. It shot the Remington 140gr Core-Lokt into an inch or so, pretty consistently. I was young, dumb, and poor, and in the days before big box sporting retailers like Bass Pro and Cabela's, the Core-Lokt was the only thing I could find locally. Sold it to help pay closing costs on my first home. I've regretted it ever since, but I can't bring myself to pay what the new ones (even the older ones) are going for nowadays.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks so much. I have been getting it dialed with 140 grain Bergers. Now I am just waiting for Ruger to get some offset rings back in stock. It’s hovering under an inch with careful work on my part.
Awesome. My go to hunting rifles are 1B's in 7mm RM and 6.5 CM. Both shoot 1 MOA with very little effort reloading. I work up 3 loads with my bullet and powder and the best one is usually 1 MOA or less.
I've used the stainless 7 mag for 18 years now and it's taken a lot of animals. The walnut creedmoor has a few as well. I've had it for 5 years or so. With a buttstock shell holder I can reload as fast as most with a bolt action.
Screenshot_20240806_044922_Chrome.jpgIMG_20201022_175520608.jpgIMG_3730~2.jpg

Kyguy

FNG
Y'all need to quit posting these photos... I'm going to end up buying another one!

tater

WKR
I have a #1 in 338WM that is affectionately known as "Thumper".
Everything from whitetails through moose have fallen to it. I don't use it as much as my B78 in 25-06, but it is still fun to carry from time to time.
This- https://eabco.com/hicks-1-accurizer/ is a must have for any finicky #1 .

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt elk with a No. 1B in .300 Win Mag. It shoots well enough for hunting, my only complaint is that it gets heavy on the big hills.

Wapiti1

WKR
My No 1A in 30-06. With the 22" barrel its nice and short, and quite light weight. I snagged some special edition French walnut for it that was for a Lipseys edition, if I recall. The original stock was plain dark walnut.

Jeremy
Ruger No1.jpg