Ruck training

CMF

WKR
I was final able to hold 4.5 mph for a kilometer. To hold above 4.2ish I end up in a very odd trot that is almost a run, but both feet stay on the ground and I don't bounce. This pushes my HR to just below lactate threshold in the 170s, which is higher than most of my runs.

Definitely gives me a lot of respect for the physical fitness of WWII dogfaces and the old breed.
That's rolling.
Now you're ready for the Race walking olympics. If you haven't seen that it's worth a google.

TheTone

WKR
I’ve got 50lbs of rock salt in my pack; my standard loop I do takes me about an hour and twenty minutes and that’s steady walking at a pretty good pace. I can’t remember off the top of my head the distance. I know by the end of summer I’m feeling awesome from it

Pankowsj

FNG
I got a “garage fit” sandbag off Amazon, recently. It adds a nice bit of versatility to moving weight (putting 10# of sand into the each of small bags that fill the larger one)… I typically put 60# in, but I’ll work up to 80# if the occasion calls for it. I’ll wear weight walking the dog every night, so when I have it in topography it’s not such a foreign experience.

Started rucking earlier this year. Been going twice a week 3-4 miles. 45 pounds initially and now up to 60. Will stay at that weight a while and then add on weight through the summer.

I use Brute Force workout bags and have several filler bags with different weight of sand I can add or subtract. The main bag straps to my pack frame easily.

I still run year round and always do a couple of 1/2 marathons in the winter.

Will add a weekly tire drag and step ups as well to mix things up.

I need to do more lunges and flexibility training to round things out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schur7559

FNG
I generally start in late April when the weather gets nice here in Wisconsin. My pack typically weighs about 55-60 pounds and I’ll ruck once or twice a week until I leave for my trip. I’m fortunate that I have a great trail nearby that climbs 500’ up and over a bluff so I’ll climb up and over and back- about 1,000 feet total of elevation gain and loss. It takes me about an hour and 15 minutes.

I got a 50lb bag of sand and have been going around my neighborhood at night after I get my kids to bed. I am up to about 1.8 miles now averaging about 3 mph. Its strangely relaxing actually.

OP
C

Colby3

FNG
fullsizeoutput_b5d.jpeg

This is my ruck workout. My pack is 55# and I do 13 laps up and down a small hill at our local park. Peak HR gets to 165 ish. Taking more breaks at the top of the hill to keep it there. 65 and I want to be able to hunt with my son in law a few more years.

timmypop

FNG
Best way to stay in shape is never get out. I try to not stop training all year round. I do weighted vest most of the year and when season gets closer I switch to my hunting pack with weights.

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
The Mike Prevost program is awesome. I’ve only been working on it for a couple of weeks and I already can see a big difference.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
I hate gyms, but I carry a pack scouting, shed hunting, spring bear,.... you get the idea. Staying in shape is way easier than preparing for a hunt for a few months.
I have worn a pack at work on night shift with approximate weight to climb stairs. That is a very quick way to gauge your stamina, pack fit, etc.

Spiro

FNG
Huge fan of weighted pack rucking. I say just get and pack; load it up with a sleeping bag at the bottom, the. Throw some weight in it and get out there!

Just start waking, download Strava and find trails. I hiked behind my house and found an abandoned tractor wtf

Push yourself for distance and / or exertion, rucking is way more fun than running. Weighted pack activates the muscles in your whole body.

I hate running.

888d9ac3d11a1d3826b40acb9e33204a.jpg

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
Found this little group on my morning ruck. Weighted rucking really is great. I can tell a big difference after just a few weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_0409.jpeg
    IMG_0409.jpeg
    780 KB · Views: 29
Congrats!! Where?

I got drew an elk tag in Montana this year!

Colorado Archery Tag today. Ate my last sweet tonight in celebration!

Happy Rucking guys and Good Luck this year!

vladkgb

FNG
I start with 50lbs and hike a steep hill about 3 times a week for 30 minutes. I add 5lbs every week until I fail to reach the end of my hike in 30 minutes, then I just keep the weight until I can reach or exceed the end of the hike, and add more weight.

I also do a circuit of 4 sets of squats, lunges, step ups, calf raises, and mountain climbers with the pack on, and add weight if I dont fail on any of the sets.

In the field, I found that climbing over dead fall and rocks made my hip flexors really sore, so I find it helps to do the circuit described above.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't train with a ruck per say earlier, but I'm an avid backpacker and rack up quite a few miles Winter - Summer w/ a backpack on.

About 6-8 weeks out from the start of hunting season, I actually start ruck training for real- usually 3-4 times/week (the other days I'm still hitting the trails just w/o a pack), usually 4-6 miles and always w/ some decent elevation gain/loss.

I start out at ~ 35# do that for ~ 2 weeks; bump it up to ~ 50# (also 2 week-ish) and finally up to ~ 65#- usually only a week (again just 3-4 times/week) and then go back to 35# for the last week.

Can't quote anything scientific about my approach, but it's what I've done for 10-12 years and seems to work :)

This year my hunting season starts a couple of months early, so am already started my ruck training.