Ruby's Nevada

LoneStar

Lil-Rokslider
Plan on putting in for the Ruby's this year in Nevada. Anyone else hunt that area that cares to share some info? This is a internet scouting hunt, since I won't be able to make a pre-season scouting trip.

I plan on going in Lamoille canyon and then head south on the Ruby Crest trail. What's the weather like for the early season? Any advice or tips? I am in shape, but not sure how I can be ready for 10K elevation.

Thanks!

shaun

WKR
Doug (Rosinbag) hunted there this last season for archery season and he did pretty good look in the mule deer section for his hunt story. From research I have done it is your typical stuff high and away from easy access is where you will find the big boys

CaseyU

WKR
hey guy. I killed a nice buck this last season but i drew the late archery tag. the early season is a great season I don't hunt it because of fire season (work) I spend a lot of time up there though. My family has a house in ruby valley. you have a great plan i would plan on hiking in a minimum of six miles. seems to be the lucky number to get away from the crowd. that range is like a puzzle. there are some many canyons, bowls, and draws that its easy to get away and find the deer. my friends that do hunt it, love it. They say the hardest part is not finding deer, it's getting past the small ones to get to the big ones! i took a picture of a 200" buck on my novemeber hunt. I ususally don't hunt the north end up there so i can't give you any landmarks to shoot for. Great plan and you are getting a great start to your hunt. keep up the good work and keep us filled in!

PhillyB

WKR
The Ruby's early season archery is the best hunt in the Western US in my opinion (aside from UT limited entry). It is backpack hunting at its finest. Do your research and you will find yourself a spot.

If this is your first backpack trip for a hunt, I would suggest either a scouting trip or somewhere else. I have met guys on the trailhead headed the other way and heard them say "I didnt think it was this big here"

Slim Jim

WKR
The weather is high country monsoon in summer. You can expect rain from about 1 to 3 in the afternoon everyday. Look for deer bedding around timberline and the farther in on the trail the better.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lone Star, Lamoille and heading south on the Ruby Crest is the most heavily used trail in the Rubies. On the flip side, it is easier access, you start fairly high and there are many good bucks that are killed in that area. So I wouldn't say it is a bad starting point.

Weather is unpredictable at 10k feet in the mountains nearly everyday. Expect warm, cold, rain, sleet, hail and thunder and lightning. Last year when I scouted in July I watched a lightning storm start a fire and 5 minutes later it was raining so heavy it put the fire out. So plan for everything. I don't think it got below about 30 or so.

The elevation isn't a big deal if you give yourself a day to get used to it. Don't go from sea level to 10k in a few hours or you could have problems. Maybe stay at the trailhead the night before you plan on going in and then hike in the following morning.

No secret to Rubies. Every place I have gone and scouted in the wilderness I have seen plenty of bucks. The further you get away from crowds the better your chances get, no different than any other hunting situation generally.

South from Lamoille is also loaded with great camps in the area. Lots of lakes spread out every mile or mile and half for the first 5 to 7 miles.

Use google earth or similar technology to aerial scout and check the area out.

PhillyB

WKR
Great buck cashing out for rubies myself next year

Are you saying you are using your bonus points to hunt the Ruby's?

Last year you could buy an OTC tag because there were so many left over, resident and non-resident. If you have points built up, there are some real great units that require points to draw. I would suggest hitting those with points before the Ruby's

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Philly, do you lose your points if you but a left over tag after the second draw? I don't know, but heard you did as it was still a draw unit.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Philly, do you lose your points if you but a left over tag after the second draw? I don't know, but heard you did as it was still a draw unit.

Correct, you lose your points in the second draw, if they still have leftover tags and you buy one, you STILL lose your points.

Slim Jim

WKR
You get five choices. Just put your units in order of priority because when you number is drawn they go down your order and first one available you get. Like previously stated that area 10 is pretty much a guaranteed draw with archery and about 75% with rifle so put that as last resort and you will be hunting.

Craig4791

WKR
I'm not following here.... In the draw odds section of the NDOW website it shows that 142 non residents put in apps for the Archery hunt in the Ruby's and 46 tags were awarded, doesn't seem like there were any leftover tags to me.

Looks like a Resident can draw an archery tag every year though.

Craig4791

WKR
So one more ? to clarify.

DR and Rosin are saying any choice you get after your first choice including picking up a leftover tag burns your points correct?

velvetfvr

WKR
So one more ? to clarify.

DR and Rosin are saying any choice you get after your first choice including picking up a leftover tag burns your points correct?

As far as I know any tag besides a land owner burns your points. I haven't worried about this so I might not be right.