Ruby's Nevada

shanevg

WKR
I currently have 3 points in NV. I've been wondering about this myself - are there any other good alpine backpack units in the state with less hunters?

I currently have 3 points in NV. I've been wondering about this myself - are there any other good alpine backpack units in the state with less hunters?

The East Humbolts but access is extremely limited unless you know a Rancher who will let you thru. There are a few easements but they have a ton of traffic.

Slim Jim

WKR
I want to hunt Jarbidge for 2014. It looks really good and its pretty easy to draw for resident archery. Looking at maybe unit 06 as well. Great bucks come out of there every year

BigSurArcher

Banned
I'm not following here.... In the draw odds section of the NDOW website it shows that 142 non residents put in apps for the Archery hunt in the Ruby's and 46 tags were awarded, doesn't seem like there were any leftover tags to me.

Looks like a Resident can draw an archery tag every year though.

That was for 2011.

PhillyB

WKR

Depending on your weapon of choice, 3 points with archery should allow you to hunt most units. I know of a few units that may not be "alpine" hunts, but require you to pack in.

One of the units is where Randy Ulmer hunts each year. I have seen great bucks in the unit, but it is hard to draw and I always put the Ruby's as my last choice and draw. So I never build any points.

If you want to see his success in these other units, check out his website. He has a caption for each buck and where it was killed. A couple of real beasts from NV

http://randyulmer.dphoto.com/

PhillyB

WKR
I want to say early archery rubies were 450 2 years ago, last year, 900!

Yeah and they had all the tags left over. I heard that the number of tags awarded, even with the OTC buys, was very close to the number of tags awarded in previous years.

Honestly, even with the increase in tags, I didnt see an explosion in the number of hunters. It was about the same. I ran into the same group as the previous year and South Cox. That was it.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah and they had all the tags left over. I heard that the number of tags awarded, even with the OTC buys, was very close to the number of tags awarded in previous years.

Honestly, even with the increase in tags, I didnt see an explosion in the number of hunters. It was about the same. I ran into the same group as the previous year and South Cox. That was it.

I heard the late season archery took a beating though. Lots more people!

SDHNTR

WKR
Depending on your weapon of choice, 3 points with archery should allow you to hunt most units. I know of a few units that may not be "alpine" hunts, but require you to pack in.

One of the units is where Randy Ulmer hunts each year. I have seen great bucks in the unit, but it is hard to draw and I always put the Ruby's as my last choice and draw. So I never build any points.

If you want to see his success in these other units, check out his website. He has a caption for each buck and where it was killed. A couple of real beasts from NV

Yep, but the odds of drawing that unit, even with 3 points, is slim, slim, slim.

Ya I'm not seeing the captions?

tstowater

WKR
231 best unit in NV for trophy but difficult to draw. It's not a backcountry pack hunt though

I thought 221 was the best unit. I wouldn't call 231 a backcountry pack hunt either. Generally fairly accessible from the roads or 4 wheeler trails.