Rough Winter for Mule Deer ID/Wy/Ut

I was thinking about drawing G this year. They just keep getting hammered.
I would say it depends on what you’re looking for in a buck. I would argue that area has not came back since the drought and bad winters we had in 16 and 18. I went in 17, we found so many dead deer. It was really sad. I was planning on going this year but not sure what to do now. Not a good year at all.

It’s bad… no doubt… a winter that started in November.

Lots of places breaking cold temperature records today, with (2) notable mentions including Logan, UT and Idaho Falls, ID BOTH exceeding -30! That’s unheard of. Add this on top of deep snow… it’s a mule deer disaster. 85788C48-B81B-4A21-9307-3249179C38A9.jpeg6C825079-AAC4-4EC8-A12B-1634553E2EB2.jpeg61CFB55D-4678-434F-B0CF-F1F6FA510F0E.jpeg

VANDAL

WKR
It’s bad… no doubt… a winter that started in November.

Lots of places breaking cold temperature records today, with (2) notable mentions including Logan, UT and Idaho Falls, ID BOTH exceeding -30! That’s unheard of. Add this on top of deep snow… it’s a mule deer disaster. View attachment 509430View attachment 509431View attachment 509432

I was optimistic with 4 yrs of positive growth that this young population could hold. After closely watching the deer in Eastern Idaho I felt good with how the fawns looked around Jan 10. Ten days later I could see a distinct downward trend in health. A few days ago after a fresh + 12” of snow they are on their last stand. Add on record cold temps….makes me sick….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoyt Ag

FNG
I live in NW CO and we are 150% over annual snow pack. Only a matter of time we start finding dead ones around here, elk too.

Hoyt Ag

FNG
Park Cuty has more snow than I have ever seen. Elk are everywhere trying to find food.
Same here. I live in Meeker and work in Hayden. I have never seen so many elk on my ay to work than I have the last month. Hundreds a day and they are belly deep in snow, sometimes the calves are barely able to see over the drifts.

prm

WKR
You can easily kill deer that would otherwise live by feeding them alfalfa (among other things) in the winter, they shift metabolically to utilize browse much more so. It can be done, but carefully
I do know that it has to be done smartly, and I'm not the one to choose. Perhaps alfalfa was a poor example. Whatever would help their metabolism to stay warm and nourished.

S.Clancy

WKR
I do know that it has to be done smartly, and I'm not the one to choose. Perhaps alfalfa was a poor example. Whatever would help their metabolism to stay warm and nourished.
Feeding animals is just really shortsighted. It brings in disease concerns, removes alot of evolutionary pressure (the animals that make it are fitter and able to then pass on their genes to more generations) and removes any culpability for continuing to subdivide and develop really important winter range habitats. Lets concentrate on the habitat for long term gains

IdahoElk

WKR
Feeding animals is just really shortsighted. It brings in disease concerns, removes alot of evolutionary pressure (the animals that make it are fitter and able to then pass on their genes to more generations) and removes any culpability for continuing to subdivide and develop really important winter range habitats. Lets concentrate on the habitat for long term gains
In a perfect world I agree but where I live housing has all but eliminated winter habitat making supplemental winter feeding almost necessary.