Ross and Adam: First CO Elk Hunt Planning Thread

Thanks 8Crow for the advice and thanks for checking in guys.

We're getting in the home stretch of narrowing down our chosen "possible" draw units (nothing like dragging it out until the last week or so!) and I'm going to make a couple phone calls to the local CPW offices today.

Hit the stairs again this past Sunday, this time with a light 20 lb load in the Kifaru. Did 54 flights before the legs went to jello but my time per flight averaged out the same as last week's no-pack workout. Legs are feeling stronger and much less soreness this week. Walking out on to the street soaked in sweat with a pack on gets some puzzled looks from the cars at the stop lights. :D

I'm in MO as well and am planning my first hunt. Although mine is a couple years away.

Keep an eye on this thread Chris, maybe we can cut some hassle of your planning like so many have helped us out so far. BTW there seems to be quite a few Missouri crew on Rokslide!

For 30-06 I like 180 gr accubonds. Not cheap, but deadly.
Good rangefinder
Chains
Depending on the unit, bears and martens can be a PITA. Have a good system to hang meat if you have to.
If hunting high country get there a couple days early to acclimate to elevation, given you are pretty much at sea level, it is all high country to you.
Note ballistics differences at the elevation you are going to be hunting vs where you sight in.
Weather in CO in the fall is unpredictable. Could snow a foot, could be 60F. Be prepared.

Just finished applying for my first hunt this year as well. What I have found is you can drive yourself crazy analyzing all unit options. Elk density, success rate, hunter density, draw odds, basically leads to analysis by paralysis of you let it. Dont be dissappointed if you don't get through on some calls. It took some time to get responses but I figured I was 1 of 10000 calling and asking the same questions. Ballistics aren't all that different at sea level and 8000 for moderate ranges out to 400 yards but there is a decent calculator on federals website that allows elevation and temp input.

Good luck with your decisions and hopefully some of us first timers will be able to share some success threads around the end of October.

Just finished applying for my first hunt this year as well. What I have found is you can drive yourself crazy analyzing all unit options. Elk density, success rate, hunter density, draw odds, basically leads to analysis by paralysis of you let it. Dont be dissappointed if you don't get through on some calls. It took some time to get responses but I figured I was 1 of 10000 calling and asking the same questions. Ballistics aren't all that different at sea level and 8000 for moderate ranges out to 400 yards but there is a decent calculator on federals website that allows elevation and temp input.

Good luck with your decisions and hopefully some of us first timers will be able to share some success threads around the end of October.

Good luck to you as well! I have my questions well organized and left a voice mail with the CPW agent stating as much and that I didn't want to burn up a bunch of his time. We will see if I hear back. 😀

Good luck DH!

Had a great conversation with the local wildlife biologist for one of the units I've been researching. I left him a voicemail yesterday afternoon and was very brief and concise and gave him my info, what I wanted and mentioned I had a specific list of a few questions I wanted to run by him and that hopefully I wouldn't take much of his time as I know how busy you are this time of year, etc. etc.

Well sure enough, he called me back today around lunch time and was super polite, answered all of my questions and even offered up some little tidbits about that area that I hadn't thought to ask. To be honest I was expecting very broad answers regurgitated for every hunter phone call, but he genuinely seemed like he wanted to help me. Not easy when the phone rings all day no doubt! Thumbs up for him!

I've been on one elk hunt. Now I'm hooked. I hunted on a National Wildlife Refuge in Oklahoma where there were tons of elk and the feds used hunters to cull the herd. That said you still had to work for it. I'd say it was somewhere between a guided hunt and a DIY adventure. The terrain was rugged as anything I've backpacked through in Colorado but without the altitude.

What I learned was don't go cheap on your gear. Everything I bought on the cheap broke. Everything I bought because it was good quality gear lasted and did it's job when called upon. My pack frame broke. My bone saw broke. My cheap orange vest ripped. My knife that was hand forged by a good friend saved my butt. I took a heavy duty cart. It filled in for the broken pack frame on the pack out but I'll need to invest in better quality spring pins that allow it to collapse.

Get good quality gear and only get what you need. 10,000 feet is the wrong place to discover that spending an extra $20 on a piece of gear would have been worth it.

I've been on one elk hunt. Now I'm hooked. I hunted on a National Wildlife Refuge in Oklahoma where there were tons of elk and the feds used hunters to cull the herd. That said you still had to work for it. I'd say it was somewhere between a guided hunt and a DIY adventure. The terrain was rugged as anything I've backpacked through in Colorado but without the altitude.

What I learned was don't go cheap on your gear. Everything I bought on the cheap broke. Everything I bought because it was good quality gear lasted and did it's job when called upon. My pack frame broke. My bone saw broke. My cheap orange vest ripped. My knife that was hand forged by a good friend saved my butt. I took a heavy duty cart. It filled in for the broken pack frame on the pack out but I'll need to invest in better quality spring pins that allow it to collapse.

Get good quality gear and only get what you need. 10,000 feet is the wrong place to discover that spending an extra $20 on a piece of gear would have been worth it.

Thanks, I'm trying to do just that, not go gear crazy, but walking the line between quality, value, price, weight, and learning all that I can. Thanks for the input.

Adam and I met up for some hiking and elk planning. We hiked in to a section of Mark Twain National Forrest and stayed a night. Here are a few random pics.

Adam crossing a raging river.
Untitled by redmech, on Flickr

My ugly mug,

Here is a homemade dehydrated meal I'm trying.

We stopped for a break here and threw our packs down.

Here Adam is chowing down.

It's been a productive week! Well the big news is Ross and I are both $639 poorer thanks to the state of Colorado. Things are starting to get real. Now we will see if we actually draw or have to regroup for 2nd season instead.

Also, my wife wants to go to Colorado again for vacation this summer; she loves the state and so do I. No complaints from me. I dropped a semi-subtle hint about trying some new areas of the state instead of doing the normal Estes Park. She looked around and found lots of things she wants to do so she's on board. Coincidentally, the cabin we are renting is within about 30 minutes of our first choice unit and about an hour of our second choice. Hopefully we luck out and I can use a good day or so to do some scouting around while the wife treats herself to a spa day. :D

Much elk and trip talk was done this weekend. Great weekend to get out and put some miles on with heavier loads. I basically packed most everything I'd be taking hunting this fall. A few random observations.

1) Trekking poles are priceless with heavy loads on uneven terrain. Now I get it.
2) The Kifaru Timberline 2 is extremely comfortable. I can see where guys get in to the 7000 ci pack range really quick. A couple of times I was wondering if I should have gone with the Timberline 1. I have thought of adding a Guide Lid for the extra 1000 ci but it seems like larger/bulkier items are where I need more room, smaller items aren't as much of an issue.
3) On cold mornings and nights, the idea of a shelter and a Ti wood stove sounds awful good.

Big Ross in front of an old homestead in the National Forest.

34612it.jpg

Hanging out solving all the world's problems.

29d9o9.jpg

Paleo DIY dehydrated meal - taco meat with diced sweet potatoes and onions. Good stuff!

2z5p3sz.jpg

Roswell was blown away by "astronaut ice cream"!

2a6vwbo.jpg

Much mouth running was done by fire light.

16h6w52.jpg

Thanks for stopping by guys, have a great week!

Were you going without a sleeping pad? So as far as added storage for the bulk items, that's what the pods were/are for. The old style large pods were great for added room. You could get some of the lighter bulky stuff out of your bag to make room for some elk meat. I have an issue with bulk myself and have been working on switching out some gear to reduce it. I don't understand how people can go for 5-7 days in 4500cuin.

Glad to here you're going to make it out this summer as well. So many tourists come in the winter and I think they're missing out. Breckenridge on the 4th of July is perfect! Where are you going to be this summer? If you want a test on how you're physically progressing you should find a decently close peak trail or something and take a hike.

Back