Roseburg OR, What do I need to know?

WolfeSW

FNG
It has already been mentioned, but tripod mounted binos 10x minimum are a game changer. Bring some Dawn dish soap to get the poison oak off your hands regularly.

Bring some Dawn dish soap to get the poison oak off your hands regularly.
(Other than the typical wash the oils off), I've never heard that trick for poison ivy.

I know oak ivy and sumac have the same oil, so here goes:

Does that reduce the effects, or remove the effects of the oil?

We grew up as the children of children of the great depression, grandparents a step away from hoovervilles in iowa, if it weren't for the farms they grew up on. Anyway, old school types.

The type that wholeheartedly believes nature's poisons were next to nature's cures. So nettles=water, ivy=touch me nots, and just don't touch parsnip, so outside the typical steroid creams, that was the field remedy.

Unless we talk sinkholes. Grandma always said the cure to a sinkhole was getting out

INTJ

FNG
Blacktails don't pattern like whitetails. They are extremely wary. I have seen some true monsters, but they always beat me. People will tell you how small they are. Those folks have never seen a mature blacktail buck.

Be prepared to get wet. Goretex or similar is a very good idea. The Roseburg area has a lot of private land that you can't get access to, so make sure you know your boundaries.

I have read several books on blacktails. I liked Scott Haugens the best.

It broke my heart to leave Southern Oregon, but the state is so progressive it's unlivable.......

Last edited:

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
going on private.. Guided? They will either have you set up in a stand or with clear cuts to glass. I really doubt you will do much hiking unless its to a good overlook. if you try and hunt Blacktail like you would mule deer, its not likely to work

Grundy53

WKR
Is the rain/movement specific to blacktail? I’ve always been told the rain keeps deer/elk hunkered down.

Legit question. Not trolling.
With blacktail and Roosevelt elk, if they hunkered down in the rain they would starve to death. The best bucks I've killed were during torrential down pours.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

With blacktail and Roosevelt elk, if they hunkered down in the rain they would starve to death. The best bucks I've killed were during torrential down pours.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Same. And might I add, between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm

JCOREGON

FNG
A
Alright all, I will be going after some blacktail in the Roseburg area this fall. More specifically the last week of October, this will be on private with a rifle. Im not a stranger to western hunting but this will be my first blacktail trip. What do I need to know? What challenges does hunting this topography/climate bring that maybe other western states don't? School me please. Thanks
A few things. Poison oak is no joke and can ruin your trip if not careful. Serous rain can make glassing and looking through your scope nearly impossible. Fog can be a real problem at times in some area.

InDeep

WKR
If you have hunted whitetails in western Idaho . They are about the same . Them move in the day when the rut i about to start . And mixed oak and fir strips in the lower elevation will produce the most movement. Roseburg is fun and has some good blacktail hunting in all points of the compass .

I have lived and hunted just south of Roseburg my whole life. You will either have to walk into the steep and deep and hope to jump one. Or glass large clear cuts with a steady set of binos, and glass again. Early season the bucks spook easily, late season they don’t care you’re there. Either way it’s very hard to spot them. You could walk/drive right past a few of them and never see them, they won’t move.

A few years ago I started glassing more with binos off of a rest or tripod, and it has really upped the numbers that I’ve seen. I use 10x and 15x binos. Glass everything, pick apart the brush, even if it doesn’t look “bucky”. Sometimes all you might see is an ear flick. One of the biggest black tails I’ve killed, I shot in a clear cut right after someone else finished glassing it and moved on.

The furthest shot I’ve had to take on one is 247 yards, I typically hunt with short handy rifles. Some of the best hunting has been when it is raining, but we haven’t been getting much of that during season these last few years. These last few years we’ve been lucky to see a few does in a day. Hope my rambling helps, goodluck!6EA89555-88FB-4F1C-864E-84D1425F7F81.jpeg

Last edited:

INTJ

FNG
I’ll just echo what everyone else is saying. The vegetation is thick and often made of berry brambles with sharp branches, thorns, etc. You’re going to want the thicker rain gear and not the lightweight packable stuff. If you’re a fisherman, you should spend some time on the Umpqua for half-pounders!

The famous half pounders are on the Rogue. I am not aware of any on the Umpqua. However, the fish of 1000 casts can be found on the fly only, barbless hook part of the North Umpqua that time of year.

1AA54BC6-8269-46CB-AEC7-02A566315CCE.jpeg

welkin

FNG
(Other than the typical wash the oils off), I've never heard that trick for poison ivy.

I know oak ivy and sumac have the same oil, so here goes:

Does that reduce the effects, or remove the effects of the oil?

We grew up as the children of children of the great depression, grandparents a step away from hoovervilles in iowa, if it weren't for the farms they grew up on. Anyway, old school types.

The type that wholeheartedly believes nature's poisons were next to nature's cures. So nettles=water, ivy=touch me nots, and just don't touch parsnip, so outside the typical steroid creams, that was the field remedy.

Unless we talk sinkholes. Grandma always said the cure to a sinkhole was getting out
Poison oak contains a lot more urushiol than does poison ivy. It has the consistency of motor oil or grease so you do need something like dish soap and a lot of scrubbing to remove it. Use cold water as hot opens your pores and allow the oil in deeper. If you really get into it just know probably no amount of scrubbing is going to stop the dermatitis.

TripleJ

WKR
If you get into a bunch of poison oak, do yourself a favor and get some Tecnu. The Tecnu Extreme is pretty effective at neutralizing the urushiol.

Poison oak contains a lot more urushiol than does poison ivy. It has the consistency of motor oil or grease so you do need something like dish soap and a lot of scrubbing to remove it. Use cold water as hot opens your pores and allow the oil in deeper. If you really get into it just know probably no amount of scrubbing is going to stop the dermatitis.
I get it pretty bad, and have to be in it a lot. I quit caring, because there is no way to avoid it, trying is just wasting time with no change in the outcome. I just make sure I shower as soon as possible and isolate those clothes… haven’t found a way to deal with boot laces.

I still get it, but I usually seem to get it when there isn’t much around and am not proactive. I avoided getting it bad cutting it down with hedge trimmers, and the cut ends rubbing on me… like worst case scenario, and I’ll have a little rash on my wrist and another on my knee or something.

Being too proactive starts being a pain in the ass, and at some point I would rather be a little itchy than paranoid all day and having poison oak effect your day, haha

I have only had to go to the hospital once for it, it got nasty, and I had to spend about 10 days in a wetsuit all day right when I got it, and it was everywhere! Literally. Felt like torture covered in 1/2” of neoprene being crazy itchy… at least it wasn’t bad when I was on the bottom, cold ocean water was my link to sanity