Roseburg OR, What do I need to know?

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
Mikes a great guy, I worked for him last year, will try to again this year. Are you going on a private land or public hunt?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
We’ve heard good things. This hunt will be on private over by Roseburg. Not sure exactly where just yet. My dad will be joining me on this hunt as well. Two rifle tags starting around 10/21.

grainhog

FNG
Just remember that stink isn't your upper lip, it's sulphur dioxide and OSB

georgew2

FNG
Good bucks down there, stormy weather will help. Blacktails are elusive and you can see 20 deer one day and none the next. Keep after it with some good optics and you can get a good buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pdzoller

WKR
Wouldn’t hurt my feelings if this thread were to die. Probably best to keep area specific information on otc tags to PM’s. Just my opinion. Talking about needing certain equipment, potential hazards and weather conditions is one thing. Talking about the quality of hunting in the unit is another. Again, my opinion.

cworkman

FNG
Depends which ranch or area you are hunting but it will most likely be some half open half poison oak brush hills with a bunch of oak trees, maybe a little timber, some blackberries..... Bucks should be chasing does on private land by that point or at least getting interested. I am sure your outfitter will have the right plan for the place you are hunting. Some private its just a matter of driving a side x side around until you see the 4 pt you want to shoot, literally..... some is tougher depending on populations. And on a private ranch, I would rather it be halfway pleasant weather than raining. Cold and clear is great. For me that is true for public land as well, they do cross the road in front of the pickup more when its storming though. Have fun!

Malcolm31

FNG
I have watched oil dripping off the poison oak near Roseburg. Careful with your pants at the end end of the day.
….Pants, boots, shooting sticks, gloves, etc.

I carry a bottle of hand sanitizer with me. The sanitizer seems to help remove some of the poison ivy/oak oils from my skin.

garrett24

FNG
Going to take lots of scouting as others have mentioned black tail have a very small range moving between heavy timber and clear cuts, those big bucks are mainly nocturnal but will move the whole day in the heavy stuff, Black tail will hunker down during wind but especially those first rains of the season will have the deer moving and active, getting into cuts set up on a tripod at least an hour before shooting light and 2 hours before sunset, then post up in the heavy timber through the day