rookie season success

jmh00043

FNG
Figured I'd share a little about what I learned living in Alabama and going on our first elk hunting trip.

That was the most physically demanding thing I've done since 2-a-days in August heat playing football. It is a grind. Wake up at 3am, walk miles at around 9-10,600 feet, get set up, walk some more (around 6-12 miles a day), stay until dark and walk miles back, eat, go to sleep, repeat.

I e-scouted for months and my first 2 spots we actually saw 2 bulls. We had 3 of us out there and all scouted different areas to cover as much ground as possible. Once I got at 10k, man that air gets thin. Freeze-dried meals suck after day 2.

Had a hunter blow out one of the bulls we found because he bugled about 725 times in a matter of 15 minutes. Turns out he was a local from CO and lived nearby, I don't know what the hell he was doing but that bull ran slap over the next 2 mountains. Went back to the first bull we found and took us 3 more days but we got him.

Play the wind. You can literally smell elk once you get in them, they smell like a barn stable. Those mountains are steep! Move until you find fresh tracks. CO residents suck, had hikers run off elk and another "lifetime elk hunter". Embrace and enjoy the physicality of it. It is BIG COUNTRY, especially if you have never been to the area you drew, like us. What seems like 1 mile is actually 3. Nice 6x6. The pack-out was intense. IMG_5478.jpg

MTWop

Lil-Rokslider
Please expand on why “Colorado residents suck?” This is coming from a Montana resident

bsnedeker

WKR
Sounds like hikers ran off elk that OP and another hunter were after. That's pretty sucky if you ask me.
Lol....really? Going hiking makes you a bad person? Hunting in the same area as this dude means they suck?

No offense, but it sounds like you and OP have zero experience hunting public land out west....welcome to the jungle!

Lol....really? Going hiking makes you a bad person? Hunting in the same area as this dude means they suck?

No offense, but it sounds like you and OP have zero experience hunting public land out west....welcome to the jungle!
Either something is getting lost in translation or you are just looking for an internet argument.

Sherman

WKR
As a resident of Colorado, please enlighten me to the ways of the not-sucky-Alabamian way of life.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Way to paint with broad strokes… Co residents suck… first off about half of Co residents aren’t really from Co, they showed up in the last decade, second off you should be thankful Co is so damn generous or greedy with tags to sell them to a inbreed barely literate southerner, sorry I’m just generalizing people from Alabama. Hope your enjoyed your trip, have fun shooting lab sized deer in your swamps this winter and getting cozy with yer cousins

Hnthrdr

WKR
Just decided to paint with broad strokes too… I thought we were joking? Joking aside that is a nice bull congrats

bascott1

WKR
Way to paint with broad strokes… Co residents suck… first off about half of Co residents aren’t really from Co, they showed up in the last decade, second off you should be thankful Co is so damn generous or greedy with tags to sell them to a inbreed barely literate southerner, sorry I’m just generalizing people from Alabama. Hope your enjoyed your trip, have fun shooting lab sized deer in your swamps this winter and getting cozy with yer cousins
Dang man!!! Go easy on us alabamaians. Not everyone is inconsiderate like the OP. Hahaha

OP
jmh00043

jmh00043

FNG
Please expand on why “Colorado residents suck?” This is coming from a Montana resident
It was mainly a joke...
1 CO resident bugled at the bull so many times the bull literally went about 10 miles away. He was a resident that has "hunted his whole life". Now I will admit I don't know much about elk hunting but come mid to late October I know not to just keep bugling a month outside of peak rut.
The other CO residents are just hikers that for some reason walk 2 miles off the nearest trail, see the elk, walk to the field they are in, scare them off and yell did you see those elk?

OP
jmh00043

jmh00043

FNG
take a joke bud

Last edited:
OP
jmh00043

jmh00043

FNG

I was trying to paint a picture for someone who has never hunted out west and what to expect. Yes, I have hunted out west on public land before and shot a nice mule deer. No, I am not very experienced. It was a joke mainly, but apparently people can't take one nowadays.

bsnedeker

WKR
I was trying to paint a picture for someone who has never hunted out west and what to expect. Yes, I have hunted out west on public land before and shot a nice mule deer. No, I am not very experienced. It was a joke mainly, but apparently people can't take one nowadays.
Well bud, all I can say is that it's pretty obvious your attempt at humor fell very flat. We get a lot of people whining about crowded public lands on this site, and a LOT of NR's who feel entitled to the same type of hunting they see on youtube videos and your original post falls very neatly into that category. That said, I'll accept that you were joking...thanks for sharing your story!